widegrip pullups

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

widegrip pullups

Postby V VII Hero » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:12 pm

are great for building lats.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby billyoffspring » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:21 pm

I'm gonna attempt them tomorrow!
billyoffspring

Postby Quizeen » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:41 pm

I recently started doing these (assisted), and I'm finding that they are causing me a bit of pain where the shoulder muscle meets the triceps (I believe), kind of the top back of my right arm. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong though. :(
Quizeen

Postby V VII Hero » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:36 pm

[quote="Quizeen"]I recently started doing these (assisted), and I'm finding that they are causing me a bit of pain where the shoulder muscle meets the triceps (I believe), kind of the top back of my right arm. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong though. :(

it could possibly be that you are not stretched out enough. work on stretching and gaining more flexibility in your shoulders and arms.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby Quizeen » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:34 pm

Truth be told, that's probably it. I get pretty tense in the shoulder region. I just freaked a bit because I've never experienced any negative pain in my workouts. Thanks for the help.
Quizeen

Postby Heyutang » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:23 pm

another possibility is that you overdid it and hurt the tendon. The lats insert at the spot you mentioned. Some relative rest and stretching should solve that. Or do you feel pain during the day as well?
Heyutang

Postby Quizeen » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:56 pm

The pain only occurred when I was actually doing the exercise and for a bit after. It went away relatively quickly, but seems to happen whenever I try the exercise; although, I did back up on the weight considerably. It feels a bit akward to do the move, if that makes any sense?

I'll be breaking out my Bob Anderson Stretching this weekend, I believe, in order to work on that area.
Quizeen

Postby Pete » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:02 pm

If the wide grip is causing yuo problems you can try using a slightly narrower grip & see how that suits you. Not everyone can do the really wide style of grip.
Pete
http://www.veganbodybuilding.org
[url=http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/veganbodybuilding/]Vegan Bodybuilding List[/url]
[url=http://veganbodybuilding.blogspot.com/]Vegan Bodybuilding Blog[/url]
[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/23353662623/]Vegan Bodybuilding Facebook[/url]
Pete

Postby Heyutang » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:54 pm

It does sound like you have a grade I tendinitis there. Don't worry, there's up to grade V. Grade I only means that you have pain at the end of the movement. Grade II means you also have pain at the beginning of the activity.
Put on less weight, stretch every day or even every hour, but you don't have to stop doing the movement- unless the pain gets worse. Less weight though. And, as suggested by others: work on your technique. Do you pull behind your neck?
Heyutang

Postby Quizeen » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Thanks for all of the tips. I did them this weekend with much less weight and sufficient stretching and had great success. No pain at all.

I'm trying to do more "real world" weight lifting, and I'd eventually like to be able to hoist my own body weight (125) so I'm loathe to give up the pull ups.
Quizeen

Postby Rhiannon » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:16 pm

interesting...my brother just started working with me (he's a personal trainer) and he has me doing pull ups...I can't do the wide grip cuz it hurts too much...tendonitis makes sense - I already have it. I'll be nicer to my body :)
Rhiannon

Postby Mary » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:29 pm

You sound really lucky with your family Rhiannon. Nice that you can train with your brother spotting you. He will really be onside for you to succeed!
Mary

Postby Rhiannon » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:46 pm

yes yes! I feel very fortunate :) they're pretty damn cool.

I never thought to ask him, but I was chatting with him about fitness etc. and he brought up training me! I couldn't help but accept. He won't be able to do it often, but hey - I'll take anything! he really understands the kind of figure I want...much better than a random trainer at my gym.
Rhiannon

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights