Straight Leg vs Straight Leg

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Straight Leg vs Straight Leg

Postby DS » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:18 pm

Okay, I'm full of form questions.

So I'm doing SLDL as illustrated here: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Ham ... dlift.html

But then this trainer at the gym tells me it's totally wrong to flex your spine, that I should be doing this: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Ham ... dlift.html

Thing is I've been doing the former for a while and I never had any back issues and now if I do the straight back "official" version of the SLDL that makes my spine work MORE because for some reason my back doesn't like to work isometrically. I also don't have a lot of flexibility in my hams/calves so I can't really go totally paralell without a little flexing of the spine. And lastly, if DOMS is any indicator of workload, than the non-straight back version works my hamstrings ten times more, maybe because of the increased ROM.

I've been looking at other websites and they seem to condemn spinal flexion as well, all except for ExRx. So after reading all this what's your view of SLDLs? Is spinal flexion okay if it's working better or is just too unsafe?
DS

Postby funfetus » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:37 pm

I would definitely, definitely avoid rounding your spine like the demonstration from ExRx. It puts your back in a compromised position that can easily lead to injury. I've had a recurring lower-back injury from letting my back round on squats, and it's no fun at all. Set me back about 6 months in my lifting. If flexibility is a problem, then you should work on that, separately. Remember that the stiff-legged deadlift is a back exercise as well as a hamstring exercise. The stress should be fairly evenly divided. Personally, when I SLDL, I feel it all in my lower back, and none in my hamstrings, but when the DOMS hit, it's the other way around.

Anyway, good luck, and be safe.
funfetus

Rounded back lifting

Postby VeganEssentials » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:52 pm

Letting your back round can be done, but I'd recommend it only in specific situations, the SLDL not being one of them.

For those that do stone lifting, rounded back lifting is a necessity and can be done safely if your back is strong enough, but for most people it definitely is not a good idea. A quote I've heard that was used by someone who was a famous wrestler (no idea who it was now) states something to the effect of that in wrestling, you're never going to have your opponent sitting still and allowing you to throw him with a straight back, so it is wise to learn how to lift with a rounded back but to do it correctly to have strength at all angles. Safety is key over all else, for sure. But again, for SLDL, don't bother with the rounded back. Also, you may want to find info on Romanian Deadlifts as they are supposed to be superior for muscle recruitment to regular SLDLs - they're very similar, but you bend the knees a bit more, stick your butt way back behind you and only lower the bar to mid shin height instead of down near the toes. I've done them and they seem to hit my hamstrings better, and if I come across the link to the full description I'll post it here. Good luck with finding the form that works best - with SLDL, I've definitely found that bending the knees works better for my hamstrings even though it would seem that you'd want straight legs. Try it out, and soon you'll get to what does best for you!

Ryan
VeganEssentials

Postby DS » Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:26 pm

I found an article on the "Romanian" deadlift. (it's not actually Romania) :wink:
http://www.wsu.edu/~strength/rdl.htm

I'll try it. I hope it obliterates my hams. No mercy! :x
DS

Postby DS » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:42 pm

Wow! The back of my thighs were aching for days! :shock: I highly recommend RDLs. It's strange the way it works. It almost feels like an incorrect squat where the pressure is all on the hams and glutes.

By the way, does anyone still do leg curls anymore? They never seem to do anything, personally.
DS

Postby i live in omaha » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:34 pm

i do leg curls, but usually only to compliment a nice set of straight back deadlifts. The burn they create in my hams after a few sets of deadlifts is almost unbearable. i love it.

ps: if i round my back on deadlifts then i'm out of comission for a month or two with a lower-back injury.
"No More just looking out for myself when the price paid is the life of something else.
No More, i won't participate." - Youth of Today
-- hello, my name is david --
i live in omaha

Postby JP » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:37 pm

good to see you back omaha mate, i was wondering where you have disappeared :)
JP
Site Admin

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights