thank you all for the squats!

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

thank you all for the squats!

Postby V VII Hero » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:11 am

so ive been doing squats everyday and with everyones advice. my squats have gone up tremendously!

i do4 sets. i start off with 8-12 reps of 135lbs. and then the rest of the sets i increase weight and do 6-8 reps.
the heaviest ive ever gonna on my last set was like 180lbs....

well today on my last set I did 6 reps of 245lbs. i want to thankyou all for introducing me to squats!
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Re: thank you all for the squats!

Postby JP » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:24 am

[quote="V VII Hero"]so ive been doing squats everyday

EVERY DAY???????????????????????? Aren't you getting DOMS/general fatigue/overtraining symptoms?

Good going mate - squats will make your body grow like nothing else.

Do you squat so deep that your hip joint goes lower than your knee joint? It's almost where your bum touches the floor :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby V VII Hero » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:12 am

yeh my warmup set i do FULL squats. lower than me knee.

and sometimes my other sets do too.

nah i dont get DOMS. i used to. now i just feel accomplished.
V VII Hero

Postby Mary » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:20 pm

I do full squats on my warm ups (on Pete's advice.) However, my warm up is just that - squats! No weight yet, as I am doing sitting squat now, not horse stance, and my weight (and balance) went to hell. So, you are up there with the gods in my book. :lol:

I bet your legs look a hell of a lot bigger than they do in your earlier photos when you had been off your feet with a broken foot.
Mary

Postby JP » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:52 pm

So warm ups you do full squats - and when the weight is added you don't go as deep?

That might explain why you can do squats two days in a row mate. When the range of motion gets shorter the required amount of stress gets smaller - so basically, if a person does full squats with say 100lbs and then quarter squats (half way down, the one which 99% of gym users do) with 250lbs the amount of stress to your body is not that different, it does feel heavy, of course with all that weight, but it's not that much more demanding of an exercise than the lighter weight deep squats.

One good way to illustrate this is overhead squats, where usually people can use very, very light weights, but it is very demanding to your body as well - and the legs grow accordingly!

If you'd keep the range of motion the same throughout the session, most people would not be able to squat again for days and squat once a week to allow supercompensation to do it's job.
JP
Site Admin

Postby V VII Hero » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:44 pm

my squats have increased again.

on my fourth set I was able to do a full set (6 reps) of 275 lbs.
yay!
and after that I did 2 sets of 2 reps of 295lbs

:D
V VII Hero

Postby Pete » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:59 pm

I wouldn't recommend squatting everyday. You are begging for an injury. Even Paul Anderson, probably the best squatter that has ever lived, could only manage every other day (3 times a week with sunday off - he was a vicar).
I mean you obviously have managed so far, but don't take too many risks. For most once, twice (or 3 times if you've got great recovery) a week is more than enough. Also get someone to watch your depth as feel can be deceptive. I have someone I "trained up" to spot me by kneeling at knee height to make sure I go all the way down every rep & my form stays tight (especially when nearing the end of a set).
Having done my bit as cautious, moany "old git", you've done great, coming on very fast (about as fast as I've known anyone to!), after a bit squatting you'll really notice the difference in your physique :D
Pete
http://www.veganbodybuilding.org
[url=http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/veganbodybuilding/]Vegan Bodybuilding List[/url]
[url=http://veganbodybuilding.blogspot.com/]Vegan Bodybuilding Blog[/url]
[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/23353662623/]Vegan Bodybuilding Facebook[/url]
Pete

Postby V VII Hero » Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:26 pm

oh im noticing the difference. everyone keeps teasing me cause now i actually have an arse. haha.

but yeh im gonna try doing squats every other day. monday,wed, and fri

cause i found that when i took a day off, i came back twice as strong.
V VII Hero

Postby sensless » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:03 am

How hard do you push yourself on squats? I'm usually so destroyed from squats that I can't think about doing them until at least the 6th day. Since I only do them once per weeek that means I get one day of walking normal before I'm back in the rack.

John Jr.
poop.
sensless

Postby V VII Hero » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:39 am

[quote="sensless"]How hard do you push yourself on squats? I'm usually so destroyed from squats that I can't think about doing them until at least the 6th day. Since I only do them once per weeek that means I get one day of walking normal before I'm back in the rack.

John Jr.

i push myself extremely hard, and make sure I do the complete motion. when i am done i can barely walk. yet by the next day i am feeling completely fine. that goes for any workout though.

and trust me I get DOMS sometimes. but i eat a lot of pineapples...and that seems to be working for me.
V VII Hero

Postby Mary » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:26 pm

Hi there!

Forgot to thank you for the tip on pineapples for Neil. What is in them again?

Also, I imagine you will see BIG gains if you squat every other day, as your body will be able to lay down more muscle while you rest. 8)
Mary

Postby V VII Hero » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:53 am

Bromelain is in pineapples.
V VII Hero

Postby sensless » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:16 pm

Just as a side note, often people can overtrain for short periods of time (4-6 weeks) especially when doing a movement they have never done before and will experience dramatic gains. You need to be careful with doing squats (especially heavy where you will get lots of muscle recruitment and muscle tears) so frequently on a long term basis as you will hit a point of diminishing returns and eventually your muscles won't be able to heal and will shrink (at the least stop growing) and become weaker. I used to overtrain quite a bit when I was considerably younger because I felt good doing it, but I wasn't making any size gains and the progress I may have made in 9 months I can now make in 2 months (for strength and size) by training smarter. You may want to experiment with squatting only twice a week (like on monday and thursday) or even once per week. I'd also recommend making sure you go all the way down on every rep of every set unless you enjoy cheating yourself.

Good luck man!

John Jr.
poop.
sensless

Postby Mary » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:19 pm

I think Hero does do full squats.

Next time I do squats, I am going to start with a warm up, bum to heels, and end with a knee to knee squat, legs closed. When you say a full squat, do you mean bum to heel? I am really pleased my squat is improving again, and want to know how to make the most of it. (Especially after seeing a woman cheating terribly at the gym today. I never want to cheat! It does no good, and those who know how it should be done can see straight through you.)
Mary

Postby sensless » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:31 pm

At the very least you must get your HIPs parallel to your knees, which means your bum is below your knees. Many people don't seem to realize this and end up short changing themselves. I'd recommend always going as low as you can, try to get yer arse to kiss the floor, as it stretches the knee joint and ensures you are always getting low enough.

John Jr.
poop.
sensless

Next

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights