intimidated by the weight area at the gym

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby sensless » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:23 pm

I agree with Muscle Militia. People are rarely mean or get annoyed when approached. I'm ecstatic to see people (especially beginners) over in the free weight area. I also have always been happy to answer questions on form. If I'm trying to psych myself up for a lift I may look angry, otherwise I have a smile on my face or a look of total exhaustion. No reason to be intimidated at all, we are happy people. Our anger is taken out on the iron!
poop.
sensless

Postby Fruitbat » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:29 pm

I am serisouly considering getting inducted to the free weights room which is seperate from the machine gym. Two male acquaintances from the gym who are big body builders have been encouraging me and reckone there arent enuff women in there - but as u say it is sooooo intimicadting! I mean puny little me surrounded by all these giants - i would be doing miniscule weights an feeling stupid an dout f place. I have been considering free weights for a while now - again to tone up all my body and buil dup my shoulder slightly but i am so shy....
Fruitbat

Postby Mary » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:35 pm

Oh, come on! You can do it. You know all those big guys started off on tidgey wee weights too. If anything, the bigger and more serious the lifter, the more likely they are to respect your effort, as they have all been there themselves.
Mary

Postby Quizeen » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:54 pm

I've noticed that what Mary says is defnitely true, the more hardcore the weightlifters are the cooler they seem to be to those a bit weaker than themselves, especially after you've been doing it for a while and seem like a stick-to-it type.

That said, I did have a weird encounter the other day. I'm pretty shy and quiet in "real life" and when I workout I just quietly do my thing. I was resting between sets of chest presses the other day and a hardcore older man that I see in the weight room all of the time approached me to hassle me about being quiet. He unsmilingly queried me about why I'm so quiet, and do I know why I'm shy, etc. He never introduced himself or said anything pleasantly conversational. It was unfortunate because I've never done anything to harsh him. Oh well, nutz to 'im. I just went on with my chest presses. At least he isn't the norm.
Quizeen

Postby Fruitbat » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

hmmmm thing is will it be of real benefit to me??????????
Fruitbat

Postby Mary » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:17 pm

Check out this link, then make your own mind up. (I am biassed. :wink: )

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
Mary

You get em…

Postby muscle-militia » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:22 pm

Yep the odd gym does have the odd idoit - shame.

For those of you who know your Bodybuilding - I train with John Kurley who was a legend in his time and still huge. He once said to me this (bear in mind he almost deliberately drowned me to make a point!!!!)

A gym lives, breaths, grows and some even die. It is a living animal that has real emotion and feeds on our dreams - sadly, everything that breaths and eats has an @sshole!!!
…you found your gyms! :cry:
100% Natural - 100% meat free muscle!!
muscle-militia

Postby Quizeen » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:28 pm

Heh, heh, muscle-milita, that's true. It'd take a heck of a lot more to send me away from the weight room. :)

Fruitbat, definitely it will help you to get into the free weights. They really are the best means of developing strength and definition/tone no matter how hardcore or not you want to be. The best thing I ever did was free myself from the endless wheel of strict cardio-only and head into the weight room.
Quizeen

Postby Fruitbat » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:30 pm

[quote="Quizeen"]Heh, heh, muscle-milita, that's true. It'd take a heck of a lot more to send me away from the weight room. :)

Fruitbat, definitely it will help you to get into the free weights. They really are the best means of developing strength and definition/tone no matter how hardcore or not you want to be. The best thing I ever did was free myself from the endless wheel of strict cardio-only and head into the weight room.

I do cardio and machines just no free weights thats y i dunno if it is worth jus sticking to machines
Fruitbat

Postby Fruitbat » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:35 pm

[quote="Mary"]Check out this link, then make your own mind up. (I am biassed. :wink: )

Thanx for the site its amazing!!!!
Fruitbat

Postby Fruitbat » Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:04 pm

[quote="Mary"]Check out this link, then make your own mind up. (I am biassed. :wink: )

Thanks for the link - its great!!!!! My 2 friends (male gym acquaintances) are huge body-built people and they are so nice and encouraging and supportive. I think I will ask when the free weights induction times are and try it out - the induction is £8 for 2 hours and then access is included with access to the main gym with cardio and machines. So its only £8 and 2hours of my time if I decide not to in the end and at least then I will have the option.
Fruitbat

Postby assilembob » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:18 am

HAHA
I get freaked by the weights area at my gym cause the guys there are always trying to pick up women there. They will lift and do the flex and look thing. Very cheesy and "beach body gym" kinda thing.
Also I feel silly, cause I am still on 10 lb. weights. So weak. So sad.
~Mel
Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom, to believe in the good of man.
assilembob

Postby sensless » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:33 pm

Wow, I just followed that link. A nerd girl that likes to lift weights? She personifies my dream girl! Hooray, they do exist! Now to find one that likes weightlifting dorks that trip over things.
poop.
sensless

Postby Fruitbat » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:40 pm

Well I cant wait to get inducted to the free-weights room but maddeningly there are no inductions for another 4 weeks when the students get back. GRRRR

Meanwhile one of the above friends has asked to go running with me in the mornings >>GULP<< my runs are suddenly gunna be serious and prob exhausting affairs!
Fruitbat

Postby Quizeen » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:11 pm

The Stumpuous site? Best. Site. Ever. Thanks for the link, Mary. I think I might have found a new favorite.
Quizeen

Previous

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights