intimidated by the weight area at the gym

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby wannalift » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:27 pm

rhi,
not all gyms are created equal. those such as "golds" or "world" definitely cater to those "all natural" weightlifters. when i'm in L.A., i go to the downtown Y and it is pretty decent there. my sister uses the free weight area and no one ever gives her anything for it. most people are just impressed that she is there. i guess the bottom line is that i'm not sure i've ever heard of anyone at a public gym who heard someone say "what are you doing here". mostly its just "watch this". just remain confident at all times and remember, you are a member just like everyone else there. good luck.
~david
wannalift

Postby Rhiannon » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:31 am

Thanks for the words of encouragement, David! You are so right about not all gyms having been created equal! My gym tends to have more serious folks...not the lurkers that I've found at others. I honestly think that if I have the trainer work with me just one time, I'll be comfy. I just need to see where everything is.

Generally speaking, my gym is not a meat market in any way for women...but it is for the men. The weight area seems 1/2 serious and 1/2 people putting themselves on display. I've been treated a bit poorly by some of the men that frequent the gym (and a guy that used to work there!)...I guess that's my biggest issue. I hate being disrespected. Ah well...I've never had a hard time speaking my mind! :lol: I'm sure it will be cool.
Rhiannon

Postby Rhiannon » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:00 pm

two words:

LOVE IT!

I had my training session on Saturday and I am so happy I did it. Thank you all for the encouragement! I'll be popping down to the gym here at work in just a bit :)

I'll try to get a WIP thingy up soon...
Rhiannon

Postby Mary » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:02 pm

Oh fantastic! Goody goody goody goody. Knew you could do it! Wahay!

You show them how to do it. 8)
Mary

Postby Rhiannon » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:19 pm

thanks Mary!!!! :D
Rhiannon

Postby JP » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:28 pm

way to go rhi! Reclaim the free weights room!
JP
Site Admin

Postby Myrddin » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:42 am

Good on you Rhi! for pushing ahead and ignoring the dickheads in the gym!

BTW the dog is so cute! :)
"Morality dictates that I live Vegan"
Earth Crisis
Myrddin

Postby Myrddin » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:40 am

I was referring to your dog Rhi - you inspired me to post an avatar of one of my (Vegan!) animal friends - Nutty!
"Morality dictates that I live Vegan"
Earth Crisis
Myrddin

Postby Strix » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:18 pm

Hey, Hey, Hey!! Whoo! Excellent, Rhi!
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby Strix » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:20 pm

[quote="Myrddin"]I was referring to your dog Rhi - you inspired me to post an avatar of one of my (Vegan!) animal friends - Nutty!

Myrddin, I love your new avatar, but I have to admit to liking the other one a bit more :D. It's a cool picture, the way it was shot, as well as showing a nice back.
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby Quizeen » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:03 pm

It's always so cool when "the regular folk" reclaim the weight room. I've been where you were, Rhi. But, I figured, what the hell, I spend only an hour a day with these guys, and I've gotta live the rest of life outside trying to be healthy and look good. So nuts to 'em if they think I'm a goof. Fortunately, no one really thinks that, and I've actually been fortunate to meet some nice people, too.

Coolio, Rhi. :D
Quizeen

Postby Rhiannon » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:20 pm

[quote="Quizeen"]It's always so cool when "the regular folk" reclaim the weight room. I've been where you were, Rhi. But, I figured, what the hell, I spend only an hour a day with these guys, and I've gotta live the rest of life outside trying to be healthy and look good. So nuts to 'em if they think I'm a goof. Fortunately, no one really thinks that, and I've actually been fortunate to meet some nice people, too.

Coolio, Rhi. :D

thanks so much! you are so right!! hmmm...I recognize your name from VB! another convert?! :D

Myrddin - Aw thanks! I looove my sweet boy Syd sooo much! and Nutty is adorable!! :D

Thanks to everyone!! I really am so happy to have conquered my little "fear"...
Rhiannon

Postby muscle-militia » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:52 am

Dude - all I can say is don't be. Many get a bit freaked by big guys throwing weight about, huffing and grunting. Remember tho - it is our life's work, our church, we eat sleep and drink it. It is the first thing I think about when I get up - dedicated to diet, 11 meals a day, protein shakes, pain and sleep. Often focus can be mistaken for being rude - but for the most part, we are nice guys.

Also we love newbes - to us it doesnt matter the size you are, or why you train. Simply the fact you are/might be into the iron game gives us pride.
I guarantee if you smile you will get “alright buddy” back! Remember these are the guys that after 6 months will say “dude - your shoulders have come on a treat - well done” and you will walk home feeling 10 feet tall.

I am a big guy, but one of my clients is huge (going for an IFBB world title - 26 inch arms and 330lbs) initially people are scares of us - but not for long, we are just guys with a passion.

I wrote an article about the focus of a comp bodybuilder recently, telling it from our point of view - it make us feel?? :twisted:
100% Natural - 100% meat free muscle!!
muscle-militia

Postby Mary » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:55 am

[quote]I wrote an article about the focus of a comp bodybuilder recently, telling it from our point of view - it make us feel??

Where can I read that? I am starting body building now. (just two weeks in. :D ) I have weight trained before, but have a long way to go. Check out the thread on "vegan teams" to see what we are up to.
Mary

Article

Postby muscle-militia » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:42 am

Was in Muscle Media, but this dude copied it to his site - you can read the 'guts' of it here:
http://www.freewebs.com/christofarquar/inspiration.htm

Good luck with yer 'Iron love dude'!!
100% Natural - 100% meat free muscle!!
muscle-militia

PreviousNext

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights