intimidated by the weight area at the gym

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

intimidated by the weight area at the gym

Postby Rhiannon » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:32 pm

so...I know that I would greatly benefit from using weights for toning...I don't want to build muscle, although I would like to see the muscle tone a bit more. We do use hand weights in the aerobics/sculpting class that I do on Mon. and Wed.

I am just so darn intimidated by the weight area at my gym. I just can't bring myself to go down there! First off, it's almost all men...and they are just so serious.

Any suggestions as to how I can get over my feelings of intimidation? Even my husband won't go down there. We just stick to the cardio machines and classes. I feel silly for letting this keep me from doing something that I want to do...
Rhiannon

Postby kettlebellnut » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:55 pm

[quote]First off, it's almost all men...and they are just so serious

Even as a man, I get intimidated in the free weight area. I am working really hard to get over it and making myself get in there, but it's tough. There are some real jerks at my gym (few, but they are the kings of jerks).

I have to remind myself that it is my gym, too and that I pay to work there. I have as much right to be there as anyone else.

You and your husband may consider getting a trainer to work with both of you and lead you into the weight area. Getting familiar by having a guide may just be the thing to boost your confidence. If the folks in the weight area of your gym are really jerks, you may look around for a more couple/family friendly place to go.

Ultimately, you can do it!!
kettlebellnut

Postby Rhiannon » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:21 pm

Thanks vegmason! I think the personal trainer idea is a good one. Part of my intimidation is just not being familiar with the area. Although I doubt I'll be able to get my hubby down there...he just doesn't like the gym period...although he does it because he knows he has to for his health. The people really freak him out. It's generally fairly easy for me to ignore people and focus on what I'm doing though. I go to Gold's, and the guys down there tend to be MASSIVE! Here I come, miniature me (compared to them!)...

I just need to get over it! bah!

- brief break -

called the gym and set up a training session! yay!
Rhiannon

Postby Mary » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:26 pm

Good for you! You can get addicted to iron though... :lol: Honestly the blokes won't mind you being there. They are too busy with their own work! And you will find that they respect you for putting the effort in, because they know what it was like the first time they made the walk to the free weights, back when they were scrawny, tubby, or whatever it was...

Let us know what your weight routine is like. You could look so boss if you built up some muscle! Your tattoo picture looks pretty boss now, it has to be said.
Last edited by Mary on Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary

Postby Strix » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:26 pm

Good advice, vegmason!

Also, have you seen everyone there? I mean, I'm pretty dumb when it comes to weights and even I see guys doing stuff wrong! And not all of them look great, do they? You know the answer,you said it yourself:you're letting a silly thing like that intimidate you. You don't know them; they don't know you. If you go in and do your thing -- I would say go in with your husband; safer in numbers ;) -- you don't have to look at anyone or talk to anyone. In fact, it's better not to! You'll get stuck socializing all day -- don't you hate that?!! Be just as serious as they are.

In and out, bye. That's my philosophy at the gym :).

But I sympathize because I hate the gym, myself. But seriously, you don't know these people!! They don't know you. Why let people you don't even know have so much power in your life! Come on, I know you know this, Rhi :). You're no shrinking violet, a woman after my own heart :lol:

Now, GET IN THERE!
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby Pete » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:49 pm

I think most gyms have to sign a pledge or something stating they will accept a certain % of jerks :lol: . A trainer is a fab way to get used to the environment (for some reason I never thought of it?). Once you get over the fear & get down to some real training, I'm predicting you're going to hooked on that there iron :D
Pete
http://www.veganbodybuilding.org
[url=http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/veganbodybuilding/]Vegan Bodybuilding List[/url]
[url=http://veganbodybuilding.blogspot.com/]Vegan Bodybuilding Blog[/url]
[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/23353662623/]Vegan Bodybuilding Facebook[/url]
Pete

Postby JP » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:56 pm

i would regard myself as one of these "serious men" perhaps a bit on the big side as well who huff and puff in the free weights room, often grunting away and making weird sounds ;)

Personally i don't care at all who is there - i treat everyone the same, the skinny guy who lifts next to nothing to the big gorillas, and women too - though not too many of them wander to the freeweights area (exept rochelle and (malcolms) billy!).

Just go out there and work hard! I know it's easier said than done, but thats all there is to it. You have as much right to be there as anyone.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Rhiannon » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:11 pm

all of you have me smiling so big right now! dammit - I'm gonna do it!! :D

I'll keep you all posted!

All I needed was a little motivation and a little pep talk - you guys did it for me! thanks!!
Rhiannon

Postby Rhiannon » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:22 pm

hmmm...now I'm curious if I should switch up my routine in general...

I currently do a Mon. and Wed. aerobics/sculpting class...Tues., Thurs. and Sat. I do the eliptical machine and a 1/2 hr. abs class on Sat....On Sun. I have my two hr. pole class and I do practice some at home during the week.

What days should I do weights on? Should I change anything?

I am so excited now! I'm hoping to be taking the 6 mo. intensive teacher training course at the dance studio I go to...more upper body strength will be a huge plus! one day I'll really be able to fly up that pole!! :D
Rhiannon

Postby Renecarol25 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:23 pm

Well I am a pretty intimidating woman I think. I lift a lot more than a lot of blokes do. And everybody has to start somewhere. I want to get some good recent pictures done. The ones on my WIP are so old. I guess that is a good motivator. Not a bad idea for you Rhi.. start a WIP page and that'll motivate you face down the blokes in the free weight area.
Renecarol25

Postby Rhiannon » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:58 pm

hmmm...maybe I will! is it another site that hosts the WIP stuff?
Rhiannon

Postby Renecarol25 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:35 pm

Well I tend to think of it as more of an extension of this site. here's my page.
http://veganbodybuilding.org/renee.htm
Renecarol25

Postby Cuguacuarana » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:38 am

I like the trainer idea to get used to the weight area. Otherwise I think the best thing is to go into the gym with the mindset of ignoring everybody else (or at least the jerks) and staying in your own little world. I used to get intimidated, but eventually just said fuck it, I am as entitled to be there as all of those jerks. Now, I get all pumped up and serious and think that I probably intimidate others. The bottom line is if you make it seem like you are in your territory no one will bother you.
Austin

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane." --Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
Cuguacuarana

Postby Frostfire » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:47 am

Rhi - hi, before I first came to this board, I was SO scared of the freeweight section of the gym, I never set foot on it. But then I was so inspired by people here, I found the courage to give it a try (this was only last February). I discovered after using it a few times that those big scary people weren't so scary and there were less jerks than I thought. I also saw that there were more women there than I thought. It was such a liberating experience to shed that fear and be able to use freeweigths! You definatly have as much right to be there as anyone else :D .

And start a WIP for sure! I love seeing what others from this board look like and what their routines are. It's also inspiring to see everyone's progress!
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby Rhiannon » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:37 pm

again, I am not alone! thanks for all of your input :)

I will attempt to conquer my fear on Saturday with the trainer!
Rhiannon

Next

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights