Vegan teams

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Vegan teams

Postby Pete » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:15 am

Hi all,
I could have put this in the vegan strength & maybe even activism forums, but I've started putting in place an idea for getting teams of strength athletes together. My thought was to really hit some of the strength/BBing circuits with a recognisable vegan presence. We've got a lot of bods considering or planning to enter either BBing or Pling events in the foreseeable future, so I thought if we could get it "out there" that a fare few were vegan, we could maybe get interviews etc in the "muscle comics" or power mags. These are some of the last the last bastions of the "meat is better" mentality & if we can get an alternative view out there it would be great, as a lot of them truly believe that eating meat is the only way.
I only thought about this yesterday, so it's still very early days. But, I was hoping there might be some enthusiasm for the idea & we could maybe see where we could take it from here. We need a name (maybe 2 if the BBers & PLers want different names?). Vegan Power team was suggested by Mary, any other ideas. So far, we've got a "pencilled in" team of actual & prospect BBers of 4 blokes from the UK South coast & one Mary. I also know a couple of others who might be interested. The idea is for mutual support & to encourage others to give it a go. Also to we could help sort out car share & lifts for those who might not want to compete, but would like to come along & give them their support. We could also get the more experienced in the field to help the novices get going, like I'm hoping Robbie Hazeley wont mind showing the others of the team how to do the "mandatories" & other hints on posing as he's got years of experience. Maybe when Pat Reves feels a bit better, she could do the same for the UK PLers (I'll ask her at the raw fest, if she can make it?).
Recognisable t-shirts etc might also be an idea as it'd be instantly obvious when a herd of vegans "muscle in" to a meet :lol:

Thoughts, ideas, anyone.........
Pete
http://www.veganbodybuilding.org
[url=http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/veganbodybuilding/]Vegan Bodybuilding List[/url]
[url=http://veganbodybuilding.blogspot.com/]Vegan Bodybuilding Blog[/url]
[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/23353662623/]Vegan Bodybuilding Facebook[/url]
Pete

Postby Mary » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:33 pm

Vegan Force? :oops: Sorry, they all sound a bit silly when you say them out loud. I think your original suggestion, Team Vegan, is probably better than either of mine.
Mary

Postby wannalift » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:45 pm

maybe i should start a team pennsylvania. we'd have VII hero, veganjosh (i think), and myself to name a few. we'll take on you british folk any day of the week :)
~david
wannalift

Postby Mary » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:57 pm

Good idea! Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on. (Reverting to my Mrs Doyle persona...) You know it makes sense! (Delboy.) Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough. (Scouse veg. :lol: )
Mary

Postby V VII Hero » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:15 pm

[quote="daviddenton"]maybe i should start a team pennsylvania. we'd have VII hero, veganjosh (i think), and myself to name a few. we'll take on you british folk any day of the week :)
~david

we should not divide ourselves. we must all stand together. do not seperate the UK from the US. we are all vegan bodybuilders. dont let proximity keep us apart.

Ive had the notion to start a Team Vegan a while ago but I didnt know of anyone else who wanted to join, so I kept to myself.

we should start a Team Vegan. and have subdivisions for the different locations.

Like Team Vegan Pennsylvania could meet once a weekend and train together, exchange knowledge etc. and then compete. and perhaps for big competitions, the UK and PA could all get together as the full TEAM VEGAN.

Team Vegan
1. UK
2. Pennsylvania, USA
3. etc.

all other subdivisons please state your location and members.

TEAM VEGAN PENNSYLVANIA
1. V VII Hero (me)
2. add your name to the list.

we will have to find a gym that we can all meet at. it will help keep our morale up if we meet at least once a week and lift together.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby V VII Hero » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:17 pm

we need Team Vegan tank tops and t-shirts as i suggested in the general forum a while ago.

also Team Vegan hoodies for out of the gym. I'm serious about all this. who else is ready to make a positive difference?
V VII Hero

Postby V VII Hero » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:19 pm

I could save my money up and next summer come visit the UK to meet all of you and train with some of you. that be the best!
V VII Hero

Postby Mary » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:45 pm

Next year Neil and I are putting on another Vegan Festival, either in Derby or Birmingham. If you could come along to that it would be great! You could meet up with everybody on the vegan fitness and body building stalls. I will be running around like a blue arsed fly, but it will still be great to see you!

I will let you know when we have a date and venue set. Right at the moment we are weighing the pros and cons of different venues. Should be sorted soon!
Mary

Postby billyoffspring » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:58 pm

Hey Hero,

I'll save up and go with you man. That would rock. England is cool.

By the way, I've probably forgotten but what is your name man?

Billy
billyoffspring

Postby V VII Hero » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:02 pm

[quote="billyoffspring"]Hey Hero,

Billy

hey Billy. thats awesome! glad to have ya come along.

my real name is Topher.

so where do you live right now? if youre in PA, you should join Team Vegan Pennsylvania, and we can lift once a week or every 2 weeks or whatever. just to help keep us motivated and our veganbodybuilding scene alive.
V VII Hero

Postby Mary » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:03 pm

Oh yeah, and I will definitely wear my shirt with pride! :twisted:
Mary

Postby V VII Hero » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:03 pm

[quote="Mary"]Next year Neil and I are putting on another Vegan Festival, either in Derby or Birmingham. If you could come along to that it would be great! You could meet up with everybody on the vegan fitness and body building stalls. I will be running around like a blue arsed fly, but it will still be great to see you!

I will let you know when we have a date and venue set. Right at the moment we are weighing the pros and cons of different venues. Should be sorted soon!

I will be there. let me know when it is and where. and me and Billy will come to it.

if anyone would be generous enough to give us a place to stay, that be grand. :D

I'm very excited for this!

I cant wait to meet everyone.
V VII Hero

Postby Mary » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:05 pm

[quote]billyoffspring wrote:
Hey Hero,

Billy

hey Billy. thats awesome! glad to have ya come along.

my real name is Topher.

so where do you live right now? if youre in PA, you should join Team Vegan Pennsylvania, and we can lift once a week or every 2 weeks or whatever. just to help keep us motivated and our veganbodybuilding scene alive.

Now look what you have gone and started Pete. :wink: Vegans are taking over the world! :twisted:
Mary

Postby billyoffspring » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:08 pm

I started a new topic regarding the Vegan Shirts for us. Check it out. It's in the Bodybuilding section (Maybe I should have put it somewhere else).

Topher: I am in Virginia (south-western). Pretty far away :)
billyoffspring

Postby V VII Hero » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:09 pm

hehe. we are building a foundation of aspirations
V VII Hero

Next

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights