Vegan Restaurants in Montreal/west-island?

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Vegan Restaurants in Montreal/west-island?

Postby Fit_Steph04 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:52 pm

I don't know if there are many Montrealers on here, but I was wondering if you guys knew of any vegan restaurants in the west-island area (or downtown I guess also)? I looked on canada411.com but I couldn't find any :? unless I just searched wrong... I looked for "vegan" and all I got is a caterer company and nothing came up for "vegetarian"...
People can no longer cover their eyes; If this disturbs you then walk away
Fit_Steph04

Postby Dave Noisy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:23 am

Check the Happy Cow veggie restaurant directory:

http://www.happycow.net/browse.html

There's another big directory out there too, but it's slipping my mind...
Dave Noisy

Postby Fit_Steph04 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:26 pm

[quote="Dave Noisy"]Check the Happy Cow veggie restaurant directory:

http://www.happycow.net/browse.html

There's another big directory out there too, but it's slipping my mind...

Thank you very much :D
Fit_Steph04

Postby tanya » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:22 pm

hey I was planning on going to Montreal for a weekend sometime in the New Year so I looked up Montreal restaurants at another vegan forum. So I'll pass these reviews on and hopefully they will help :)

These are not my views... I just copied them and I haven't been to any of these restaurants. Good luck!
Ok places I like to eat in mtl Café Blue Monday , métro de l'Église, 4424 Wellington in Verdun.
Most of there menus is snacks (sandwiches and salads ) but the vegan brunch is killer and only 6 $ , they also have GREAT chipotle brownies.

Aux vivres 4631 St-Laurent
This place is a vegan staple on st laurent in mille end (hip 'hood). The food is good but the service can be painfully slow. I'm a big eater and I find the main courses kinda small. they usually have a raw option if that's your thing

Bonnys 2485, Rue Notre Dame O. REALLY good vegan organic "stick to your ribs " type of stuff. Soba , bean cakes , chilli, not everything is vegan so be sure to ask.

Chu Chai 4088 St. Denis
Kinda high end veg thai place . Not cheap. They have lots of fake meats and it's REALLY tasty but not everything is vegan so ASK!. They have a less fancy place next door called chuch that is good but not AS good. Still really tasty stuff. If you go for lunch on a weekday it's pretty cheap

Spirite Lounge 1205 Ontario E
BIZAREE place in the gay village. Imagibne if john waters has a resteraunt. It's vegetarian , mostly organic and local when in season. The service and décor are INSANE. Tell em you are vegan when you order , there is no menue. I'd advise making reservations

Casa del popolo 4873 st laurent & sala rossa 4848 st laurent
Both of these places are resteraunt/bars/live music venues.
probably the 2 best venues in town.
casa serve vegertarian sandwiches , salads and soups before 9pm
It's kinda bland in my book BUT the location can't be beat. And it's pretty cheap

Sala is not SUPER vegan friendly but the food is more flavourfull. They have a few AMAZING vegan brunch options. For dinner the tofu sanwiches are good , so are the chick peas.
Just ask the waitress what is vegan , the menu is in spanish

http://casadelpopolo.com/ for concert listings and more info

Pharmacie esperenza 5490 st laurent
really cool café in mille end (near casa , salla , other hip clubs and venues) fair trade coffes and teas , some vegan cookies , squares and cakes , sandwiches
great atmosphere and most stuff is organic. They also have a liquor liscense if you like to drink.
the chocolate peanut butter squares are AMAZING! i eat em even when not hungry

Bombay mahal 1001, rue Jean-Talon Ouest
In my book this is the best place for indian in townn.
the veggie thali are 4$ for lunch , 5$ for dinner.
just ask for no dairy.
The food is AMAZING
Another cool venue : http://www.ledivanorange.org/ -- this place is also a veg organic resteraunt with a few vegan options. The food is good but I find the portions kinda skimpy , it's café during the day

Places to avoid :
Commensal there are several of these pay-by-weigh veg buffets in town. I think they are WAY too expensive and the food is kinda gross

Govinda jaya jaya - DISGUSTING buffet. Soooo bad.

NEW pushap / faim du monde 4110 st denis

years ago faim du monde was my favorite veggie resteraunt. i'd go there several times a week and always eat something diffrent. they did the standard north american hippy food with perfection plus had asian and mexican dishes. hearty , satisfying and soooo tasty.
years ago they closed and my boy and i cried. now the re-opened in partnership with pushap , one of the best indian places in town.
so reg veggie place + trad indian place BUT all the indian food is healthy , no ghee , BROWN RICE , non greasy

prices are rad and the food is perfect.

bioterre 201, St-Viateur Ouest vegggie , organic
i haven't been there but heard good things

best ethiopian in town (vegan friendly) mesob d'or 5690 Monkland
familly resteraunt , very friendly and rad food

Lola Rosa.
545 rue Milton near McGill, (514)287-9337 mexican vegetarian. many of the dishes have dairy but they do have a few vegan selections including cakes. i haven't been but heard good things

Yuan 400 Sherbrooke E
veg taiwanese. lots of fake meats , sushi and dim sum on weekends. they do a great deep fried seewead thing
some of the fake meats have whey though so be sure to let em know you are vegan and ask questions
pretty decent , cheap place to eat

Bistro Croque-Nature. 5805 Christophe-Colomb
i've never been there
tanya

Postby Fit_Steph04 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:09 pm

Thanks tanya! I'll try an d check a few of those out during my school break! :)
Fit_Steph04

Postby m_langlois01 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:02 am

Commensal is definitively too expensive, even though most of their meals are organic.

Aux Vivres: never been there, but seems like a really good place

Bioterre: Definitively the best place!! They were at the Olympic Stadium last year promoting veganism at the Salon des animaux de compagnie. Most of their meals are taken from How it all vegan & The garden of vegan. They offer "un service de traiteur" and are even taking special orders! They personalize my birthday cake last year, but heh, when you're 21, you deserve the best :lol:
m_langlois01

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews