New Zealand

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Postby Sid Delicious » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:59 am

I've been vegan for most of the last 20 years and in that time the amount of vegan stuff in shops, cafes and so forth has increased exponentially. I'd say it is on a par with the UK in many respects, but there's probably less in the way of processed or frozen things like burgers etc. Most supermarkets have vege processed foods plus lots of dry goods. There are also a lot of S.E. Asian grocery stores in the main centres that have a good selection of vege goods. Also the "Moshams" Indian food stores in the main cities are pretty much vegan-only! Lotsa dry goods that you won't find anywhere else.
There are a growing number of organic food shops. Apparently NZ is one of the world's largest producers of organic produce but most of it gets exported which kinda defeats the purpose really I think.
Sid Delicious

Postby lucy bevan » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:14 pm

ME TOO ME TOO I WANT TO GO.LETS ALL GO NOW. 8)
I moved to the USA when I was 18 and it's actually really really difficult to emigrate and stay their.Eventually they threatened me with deportation so I had to leave. I moved to Toronto Canada and loved it their. Fantastic Vegan scene, restaurants etc. I've been considering moving to New Zealand when i finish my degree and it's far easier than trying to go to the USA. To get into the US permanently you have either got to be some fantastically amazing person with some obscure talent in something or you have to marry an American. Tried the latter, not to be recommended.
lucy bevan

Postby areyousuchadreamer » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:20 am

My husband and I plan on moving to NZ in a couple of years. I can't wait to get out of the US!!!
areyousuchadreamer

Postby mangomagic » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:57 am

I just wanted to share that angel food (http://angelfood.co.nz) in NZ makes vegan marshmallows, fudge and vegan cakes and cupcakes.

I wonder if any NZ VF folks are going to Melbourne for a holiday soon and bringing any over to share :D

Or maybe I should save up and g there for a holiday. I just discovered that there are vegetarian guest houses. Has anyone ever stayed at one? I like the look of http://www.greenspace.co.nz
mangomagic

Postby quadrant6 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:37 am

[quote]So, I'd say being vegan there may not be as easy as it is in the UK and the general opinion towards vegetarians and vegans is pretty shite, but it's definitly no problem to live a vegan lifestyle there.

Pretty much sums it up.

I live in Christchurch (south island) which is not quite as 'progressive' as the major centres in the north. However, there is still a small but strong & growing community, local cafes with vegan dishes on the menu and organic grocers etc.

Also, food-supply wise, you could probably live almost anywhere in the country and order your stuff online anyway.
quadrant6

Postby Gamblor » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:12 pm

Having lived in NZ for 30 yrs (13 as a strict vegetarian/borderline vegan) it's as easy as you want to make it. Same as anywhere, products are available, you just need to read the ingredients list and be aware of your E numbers etc.
As opposed to living in UK (where I've been for last year - full vegan for about 3 months now) I'd say there is less processed vegan food in NZ on the whole but really, it's pretty similar.

I am a little baffled by the comment above that NZ is a desert now. Sure, there is an overuse of water by industrial farmers, especially in the South Island, but to call a country that receives the amount of rainfall that NZ does a desert is a strange call - Fiordland (extreme SW Sth Island) receives up to 7 metres of rain a year. Yes, 7 metres in places.
Also, NZ has had one of the driest summers on record just now, so that will obviously have a big impact. Actually, isn't it better that the grasses are brown and stubby rather than burning through aquifers making them green? Just a thought.

BTW, NZ is very expensive for housing and very tough to emmigrate to. But then again, where doesn't that describe nowadays?
Gamblor

Postby quadrant6 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:08 pm

[quote]I am a little baffled by the comment above that NZ is a desert now.

Dido
quadrant6

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:51 pm

[quote="quadrant6"][quote]I am a little baffled by the comment above that NZ is a desert now.

Dido

Yes, I was of the same opinion too. buuuut a heavy a drought over much of the country and a heavy reliance on hydropower and reservoirs for drinking water meant being very close to potential problems. Amazingly brown around here now. Yes fiordlands and other places get huge rainfall - but not everywhere year round - and getting rain in Fiorlands doesnt do much for the rest of the country. ...however, not that I am particularly knowledgeable on any of this.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby MarkNZ » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:35 am

Just bumpin this thread up a bit and letting everyone know that the Vegan Society of NZ has just been relaunched

www.vegansociety.co.nz
MarkNZ

Previous

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews