New Zealand

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

New Zealand

Postby andyO » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:23 am

Not sure exactly where this belongs, but here goes with it here.

I'm thinking about making my next move, when I leave Manchester, New Zealand. So I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience of what it's like for vegans in NZ and any general advice about living there?

Thanks!
andyO

Postby soniczip » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:41 pm

why do you want to go there :?:
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby andyO » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:52 pm

For a change, getting bored of this country, don't really like the cities here and it's too expensive to buy your own house.

All the NZers I've met have been lovely folks, cleaner air there, more space, lovely countryside/mountains etc... and from what I've heard there's more of an outdoors culture.
andyO

Postby soniczip » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:01 pm

well, you've got good reasons then :)

try contacting the vegan society in new zealand as well, maybe they'll be able to give you the right information: http://www.veganz.pl.net/

good luck :wink: ... and keep us posted :arrow:
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby RAZ » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:22 pm

I have 19-20 years of experience under my belt, but unfortunately only a few months of that time as a vegan.
Compared to the products you have available in the UK NZ does not have much at all. However, I think this is made up for in the much higher standard of fruit and veg there.
As I understand it, NZ is getting a larger vegan community all the time and I assume the array of prducts and awareness by others (such as restaurants) will be grow in tact.
So, I'd say being vegan there may not be as easy as it is in the UK and the general opinion towards vegetarians and vegans is pretty shite, but it's definitly no problem to live a vegan lifestyle there.

How are you able to move there? They have quite strict immigration rules.
Good luck.
/raz
"Drink some concrete and harden up"
RAZ

Postby andyO » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:25 pm

Thanks, SW and Raz. I'll have a read of those sites you suggested SW.

I still have about 2 years till I finish my PhD here so it'll be sometime yet, but I like to think in advance and figure summat like this will take some planning.

Raz, I had a look on the NZ immigration web site and it looks like I'm lucky enough to have qualifications (professional engineer) and experience (I'm a mature student :) ) listed on their long term skills shortage list so I could move as a skilled immigrant (fingers crossed).
andyO

Postby chloe » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:01 pm

hmmm,well you are lucky to have those requirements cos it is a very difficult country to immigrate too,.i come from NZ but havent lived there in a number of years,..It is a great country but also of course has its share of terrible things going on. Being able to buy your own house\property is a real plus factor to moving there also the access to the beach and the outdoors nature of the place really is soo great.
The people are sooooo friendly and the culture is pretty progressive.The vegan thing is also on the rise and i think not so bad even now,what it lacks that may make it appear not as good as the UK, is all the mainstream vegan things like bisuits cakes etc,..(all the stuff which is better when you make yourself anyway..)and also the processed goods, which on the whole i can live without.There is also the fact that the country in practically run by the farmers and the masses of surplus dairy gunk gets filtered into practically everything on the supermarkt shelves.So if theres one place where label reading is a must its deffiantely there.
On the other hand though,i remember vegan cafes there dating back ten years and as long as i can remember practically any place that sells coffee also has a soyamilk option.Also there are great support networks in all the bigger cities and some interesting anarchist stuff happening aswell.
Also, its a GREAT country to be a runner!!
chloe

Postby andyO » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:23 am

Thanks for the info. Chloe. I figured the amount of dairy/sheep farming could be an issue for general acceptance of vegans in the country but nice to know that there are a number of vegan cafes and support networks.

Also good to hear other people confirm the friendliness, progessiveness and outdoors nature of the community. :o)
andyO

Postby loveliberate » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:10 pm

Hi andyO & All,

NZ is one of the main places I'd love to visit & would certainly consider living there too. I've never been there but it seems to have a very good vegan scene that is growing quickly.

Reading through your reasons for being interested in NZ makes me wonder: Have you considered living in Cascadia? Basically, this is the NW US & SW Canada & offers very comparable qualities to NZ socio-politically, lifestyle & nature-wise.

For vegans, we can meet or beat any region in the world! Vancouver & Victoria, BC are always amoung the top 3 Canadian cities for vegans & the same is true for Seattle, Washington + Portland & Eugene, Oregon here in the US.

I have also heard that the US & Canada are amoung the easiest (but still not really easy) countries to legally immigrate to. Other bonuses iinclude the immense amount & variety of options you have for easy traveling & relocating in N. America plus the comparitively much easier, quicker & cheaper trips back home to the UK.

Chloe, Raz & anyone else who cares to answer: If you consider immigrating to NZ difficult - where is it easier for folks to immigrate to? Besides EU folks moving between EU countries, of course.
loveliberate

Postby andyO » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:22 pm

Hi loveliberate,

As it goes, I did live in Seattle for about 20 months about 6 years ago. Sadly I wasn't vegan then (became vegan shortly after returning to the UK). Can wholeheartedly agree that the physical country around that region is absolutely stunning - I had some brilliant days/weeks out hiking in the wilderness of the cascades. Particularly liked the Olympic Peninsula too, the variation from summer - winter was amazing. Met some lovely friends while living there too. Oh darn now you've got me thinking. ;)

Why did I leave? Well the job I had was really getting me down so much the stress of it was making me ill. My health being more important than my job I left and since my visa came with my job...

Thanks for the thought of suggesting it loveliberate, if I don't move back I would like to visit again sometime.

Andy
andyO

Postby loveliberate » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:12 pm

Andy,
I hope ya keep thinking about coming over - we want as many great vegan folks here as we can get & if/when you decide to visit Cascadia again, please let me know - I'd love to meet ya! :D Also please let me know if I can answer any questions or otherwise help with info about the region.
Did you have any favorite hikes or spots in the Cascades or Olympics? Did you do part of the Pacific Crest trail?
loveliberate

Re: New Zealand

Postby MarkNZ » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:51 am

[quote="andyO"]Not sure exactly where this belongs, but here goes with it here.

I'm thinking about making my next move, when I leave Manchester, New Zealand. So I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience of what it's like for vegans in NZ and any general advice about living there?

Thanks!

Hi,
well, being vegan is quite easy especially in the 4 main cities all of which have vegan places to eat out, and fairly regular vegan socials run by either the vegan society or the local AR groups.

The vegan Society is very small and may even close down from what Ive heard, but the vegetarian society is pretty much run by vegans now
The wellington branch of the veggie soc has this website
http://www.vegsoc.org.nz/

If you move to a place outside the four main centres you might have a bit of trouble, but even then the supermarkets all have soy, tofu, vegan chocolate etc so you wont starve!

Mark
MarkNZ

Postby compassionategirl » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:37 am

Oh my gawd I dream about moving to New Zealand (and Salzburg, Austia). I am in love with these places (thanks for Xena and The Sound of Music - go ahead laugh) and fantasize about what it would be like to live there!
"One cannot speak of peace with a mouthful of victims of violence."

"If the animal rights movement pushes too hard, too fast, it is because the excesses in the opposite direction are mammoth in comparison."
compassionategirl

Postby chloe » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:47 pm

my ex boyfriend just moved back to NewZealand after three years away and he said it reminded him of a big naked desert with a thin veneer of green lying on top. The farmers have stripped that place relitively bare,.. its kind of sad.
um so yeah not to get down on NewZealand or anything but id say it sure has its share of bad points.
chloe

New Zealand

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:23 pm

If AndyO goes to New Zealand, I'd want to go too, of course, so I hope the immigration people have an understanding of their shortage of vegan chefs!

Actually, I reckon it could be useful to move somewhere that's a bit of a challenge. More education work to be done...
Hiking Fox

Next

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews