Favorite Place in the World?

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Favorite Place in the World?

Postby tofuPUNK » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:46 pm

Where is your favorite place in the world? This could be anywhere that you have visited, lived, worked, studied, etc. Just thought that this would be an interesting topic, and might give forum members ideas on where to visit in the future. The only rule is that you had to have been to that place at some point in your life.

I'll start this by putting my favorite place in the ring.

Kona-Kailua on Hawaii's Big Island. Visited 8/3/06. I could really live here! Coincidentally this is also where the Ironman Triathalon is held. :)

"Don't talk. Keep it in your heart. (Mahape a ale wala'ua)" -- Duke Paoa Kahinu Makoe Hulikohola Kahanmoku (1890-1968)
tofuPUNK

Postby scaught » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:01 pm

lately? my bed.
scaught

Postby Fruitbat » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:34 pm

now that is tough tough tough... my shortlist would be:

Lac Noir in Switzerland (parts of Fribourg in CH too)

Aberystwyth, Wales

VFW cabin with sauna near Stockholm, Sweden

My memories of Gymnastics Unlimited, MA, USA (but not as it is in its present state)

Other great places

On top of a mtn on a clear day and everything covered in snow

Cliffs at dawn

In bed as wind howls and rains on my window

On seafront when the wind is strong and waves crashing

No there is no way I could choose this list could go on forever!!!!!!!!!!!11
Fruitbat

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:38 pm

Valparaiso, Chile.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby pelicanAndrew » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:48 pm

Hood River, Oregon.

Also, the mountains around that area are just amazing. So is the whitewater rafting, and the windsurfing, and the boating. Just so fun. And they hate starbucks. EVERYONE hates starbucks. I hope to go out there this summer, maybe visit the awesome vegan city of Portland!!!
pelicanAndrew

Postby loveliberate » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:11 pm

I love Cascadia - think N. California, Oregon, Washington & British Columbia.

Generally,
- just about anywhere with good friends
- wilderness
loveliberate

Postby bronco » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:30 am

Hmm, I like uppsala :) .
[quote="JP"]Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby Malcolms Billy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:16 am

Well errrr, Shell Island (Wales) was pretty damn good last week :D Will post pictures some time.
Whilst clearing out the pig sty that is my "office" I found some old pictures of a walk to Top Withens, in Yorkshire. Loved that too.
Even further back in memory:
Cappadocia in Turkey, when the sun comes up.
Varanasi, India, sitting by the river Ganges with the sun coming up.
Nepal - as I remember it, not with all the political unrest going on - must've been the most beautiful and one of the most friendly places I've ever visited :)
Malcolms Billy

Re: Favorite Place in the World?

Postby Trivegelete » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:43 pm

[quote="tofuPUNK"]Kona-Kailua on Hawaii's Big Island. Visited 8/3/06. I could really live here! Coincidentally this is also where the Ironman Triathalon is held. :)

I agree, Kona is the best!! I've been there 5 times, and am going back for my 6th visit next month. I can't wait!!

This picture is the shore just south of town along Alii drive, right?
Trivegelete

Re: Favorite Place in the World?

Postby tofuPUNK » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:13 pm

[quote]I agree, Kona is the best!! I've been there 5 times, and am going back for my 6th visit next month. I can't wait!!

This picture is the shore just south of town along Alii drive, right?

I'm not sure. I got this picture off of yahoo photos, as I wasn't able to get many photos while I was there. I was only there for a day (Cruise Ship), but it definately made my list of places that I must revisit. That was also my first foray into surfing (Pahoehoe Beach) which went miserably by the way (also got a wicked sunburn). But, I will return and I will surf one day! This has always been a lifelong dream of mine, and being landlocked my whole life has not given much opportunity to learn. So hopefully next year sometime, I will revisit my desire to surf. I have been taking swimming lessons for the last several months in preparation.

P.S. is there any room in your suitcase for me to stow away
"Don't talk. Keep it in your heart. (Mahape a ale wala'ua)" -- Duke Paoa Kahinu Makoe Hulikohola Kahanmoku (1890-1968)
tofuPUNK

Postby Enhydra Lutris » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:23 pm

Two of my absolute favourites are Skäralid - a national park in Southern Sweden and Bamfield/Barkley Sound in B.C., Canada.

This photo is taken from the patio of the house where the information desk, display room and café are. I would love to live there!
They say the grass is greener on the other side
-- but have you ever flipped it over?
[quote]The Jean-Paul Sartre cookbook: "Today I made a Black Forest cake out of five pounds of cherries and a live beaver, challenging the very definition of the word cake."
Enhydra Lutris

Postby Dave Noisy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:58 pm

I haven't really travelled much, but the place that stands out most to me is the deserts in Nevada...i must have been some kind of desert rodent in a previous life. =)
Dave Noisy

Postby leeyah » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:42 am

Duluth, Minnesota. And then straight up highway 61 all the way up the north shore of Lake Superior, to the Canadian border. Gorgeous country.
What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.
leeyah

Postby chloe » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:31 am

wow tough question, how to choose just one place!?
climbing to the top of the cliffs at the beach in NZ where i grew up, sitting up there with my dog!
I also love the feeling of hitching in NZ, hot day blue skies middle of nowhere roadside,probably cows in paddocks nearby, thats a great place to be. neither here not there but really lovely.
chloe

Postby Gelert » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:36 am

Hmm, I'm torn between

Lago di Garda, Italy

Pembrokeshire, Wales - particularly the hilly parts and the stunning coastal path and islands on a a crisp blue sky day....wish I were there right now

Some seriously nice choices by ppl here already - Just haven't been to them yet to agree :wink:
Gelert

Next

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews