Thermae Bath Spa(UK) outing

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Thermae Bath Spa(UK) outing

Postby stateofflux » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:58 am

The new thermal baths in Bath have just opened and I'm quite eager to try them out. Anyone else into spas and the like interested in meeting up there in Bath?

http://www.thermaebathspa.com/

Pretty reasonably priced at £29 for 4 hours

"A spa session includes entry to the New Royal Bath featuring the open-air rooftop pool, Minerva Bath, Steam Rooms, restaurant and the opportunity to join an elementary activity class in the 'Inner Space'."

There's a nice veggie restaurant there where we could get a bite to eat afterwards

http://www.demuths.co.uk/
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby alit » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:09 pm

Its finally near to opening then? I recall reading about this 2 years ago!

I would like to go next time im in Bristol/Bath but at the mo have no idea when that will be?

Sounds good there :D

Alison
alit

Postby Fruitbat » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:01 pm

yeah I would be up for that depending on when of course and finances and everything.... but soudns excellent :D
Fruitbat

Re: Thermae Bath Spa(UK) outing

Postby PaulMarsh » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:30 pm

[quote=".flux"]The new thermal baths in Bath have just opened and I'm quite eager to try them out. Anyone else into spas and the like interested in meeting up there in Bath?

http://www.thermaebathspa.com/

Pretty reasonably priced at £29 for 4 hours

I went a couple of weeks back.

The restaurant was OK, spa overall quite good - but the other treatements (massage etc) are an obscene price. I have to say I have been to much better facilities abroad.

I wrote a review here:

http://paulstott.typepad.com/i_intend_t ... index.html
PaulMarsh

Postby Malcolms Billy » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:15 pm

Hmmm, I was about to say 'I'm game!' but after Paul's comments and reading his review I'm wondering if I'd not rather go to Total Fitness in Wilmslow, for £12 and a fraction of the travelling costs, and look for something decent to eat in the area - hell, I can even cook up summin decent at home! So much for a day out, I know, but this sounds a bit like a day out as well as a rip-off :? :(
Malcolms Billy

Postby Fruitbat » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:17 pm

i have never been to this place in Wimslow (and would love to give it a go) - but Paul's review although discouraging is still only one person's opinion.... though I agree Bath is a long way to go...
Fruitbat

Postby stateofflux » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:24 pm

Spas are generally expensive IMO so I wasn't too shocked by the cost of going there for 4 hours to be honest, but it does cost getting there and that shoots it up. I don't mind too much as I will make a day of it anyway.

I think the hydro at Wilmslow is pretty crap, way too much chlorine for me and I don't really think you could compare the two places. Bath is a natural thermal spa after all!

I think this is a sort of one-off thing for me personally, as it's a fairly unique place for the UK. Even if it got a bad review I'd still want to try it for myself.
Last edited by stateofflux on Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Malcolms Billy » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:26 pm

fair enough :)
Malcolms Billy

Postby stateofflux » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:53 pm

Finally made it to Thermae Bath Spa this weekend and I thought I' give my impression of it to those interested.

general experience

It was certainly an experience worth having but I won't be going out of my way to visit there again.

design of the spa

I had read a great deal about the design of the spa, and all the complaints about it rang true- the design is appalling- you have to traipse up and down stairs and drip all over the lifts going up and down between the 5 levels. The showers and change rooms are not even on the same floor.

The steam cubicles and the steam area lacked even basic drainage, which meant that by 17:00 the steam cubicles with no or little drainage were almost foot deep in some parts, with undrained water from the steam, there was no one around to monitor the situation.

The four steam cubicles were supposed to be infused with essential oils, I could only smell lavender in one and nothing more than sweat in the others. Such a shame as the steam area has great potential- the steam cubicles are very effective and also quite beautiful. The central 'waterfall' shower is pretty cool as well. The rooftop terrace is great to hang out on between steams.

The rooftop pool is interesting, it was rather magical being in it at sunset and then in darkness with a full moon, along with dozens of noisy people (there is just one large pool, no little alcoves here and there which would be nice in terms of privacy and cutting down on the deafening noise of people chattering away). It smelt quite strongly of chlorine and it and the water was quite cold I thought, IMO they should maybe be cooling the thermal water a little less. Great views of Bath though, and the mist in the valley added to the experience

In general this feels like a (potentially mucky) public swimming bath, with a hint of poshness that will fade within a few years due to a badly designed building which hinders a potentially great experience.

I really sincerely doubt that the infrastructure can support the massive amounts of people visiting the spa in the long run. While we were there only one of the ten foot baths was in working order and the place hasn't been open long at all. There are 2 hairdryers in the whole building (my gym has more) which I can imagine can be a bit frustrating, I had to queue to use one. Not a huge problem for me, but indicative of how badly they conceived so much of the spa is as whole.

value

Really overpriced for what's on offer. We paid £29 each for 4 hours but it's hard to spend that long there. I also expected a sauna or two.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:14 pm

too bad about your experience, I know you were expecting more... it sounds like they haven't really thought this through properly. good that you at least found a good place to eat :)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby stateofflux » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:43 pm

[quote="fredrikw"]too bad about your experience, I know you were expecting more... it sounds like they haven't really thought this through properly. good that you at least found a good place to eat :)

well, I wasn't expecting great things, but I know people moan quite easily about everything and I wanted to give it a good chance!

Actually we tried to get into a gourmet veggie restaurant but they were fully booked even though we called days in advance, so I was a bit disappointed.

We went to a Caribbean restaurant called Plantation for dinner (Kino was for lunch and breakfast- we were too late for dinner) and it was pretty bad- I ordered Jerk Tofu and it was more like mediocre chinese-style tofu veg stir-fry, really overpriced and uninspired. JP fared better with the buffet which was real Caribbean food, but at £14.95 and with 3 dishes in the buffet being meat with no vegan replacement, I thought it was a bit steep. I think it is overrated in the Bristol Vegan Guide (which is such a great resource!!!)

So all in all Kino was not posh, but it was awesome and cheap and won hands down in every respect.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews