norway

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Postby RAZ » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:56 pm

[quote="V VII Hero"]and norway is the best country for everything we like and want to do/experience....... government.........

I'm pretty sure that in the elections last year they elected a right wing government, so maybe the book you found was written pre elections :?:

I don't know a hell of alot about Norway, but I am aware that the standard of living in the Scandinavian countries is among the highest in the world.

.. Oh and Zlartibartfast designed the fjords and did a mighty fine job of them so I've heard.
"Drink some concrete and harden up"
RAZ

Postby Tarz » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:59 pm

[quote="RAZ"][quote="V VII Hero"]and norway is the best country for everything we like and want to do/experience....... government.........

I'm pretty sure that in the elections last year they elected a right wing government, so maybe the book you found was written pre elections :?:

How dare the Norwegians elect a non-left government. :roll:
Tarz

Postby PinkFluffyCloud » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:37 am

I think it's good to follow your instincts sometimes. Me and my husband moved to Scotland when we'd NEVER visited it before, we just rented a house over the internet, packed up and drove 600 miles here (bit different, but still a chance).
I've always wanted to live in the Republic of Ireland, and will one day, definitely.

Korn, from Vegan Forum (he owns/runs it) is Norwejan if that's any use, and I think they have a Norway sub-forum there. :oops: Not promoting other sites but you might get some help/advice there. Also, most countries have websites on immigration, or even tourist information that can help.

Good Luck with your plans! :D .
The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind..............
PinkFluffyCloud

Postby PinkFluffyCloud » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:45 am

By the way, I noticed you don't have internet access at home, but IMO this is essential for planning a big move like this. I bought a second-hand Laptop from ebay for less than £50 once so it doesn't have to be expensive, and it would save you money being on the 'net in the end because of all the information you'll get.
The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind..............
PinkFluffyCloud

Postby Tarz » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:14 am

[quote="RAZ"][quote="V VII Hero"]and norway is the best country for everything we like and want to do/experience....... government.........

I've checked this out and the new Norwegian government is centre-left, where previously it was centre right.
Tarz

Postby RAZ » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:04 pm

[quote="Tarz"][quote="RAZ"][quote="V VII Hero"]and norway is the best country for everything we like and want to do/experience....... government.........

I've checked this out and the new Norwegian government is centre-left, where previously it was centre right.

:oops: I think I confused them with the Canadian elections. Sounds dumb, I know, but both countries elected governments in oposition to the ones they previously had. I should have remembered that my gf's parents were pleased with the outcome. Go Norway! :wink:
"Drink some concrete and harden up"
RAZ

Postby V VII Hero » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:14 am

[quote="PinkFluffyCloud"]By the way, I noticed you don't have internet access at home, but IMO this is essential for planning a big move like this. I bought a second-hand Laptop from ebay for less than £50 once so it doesn't have to be expensive, and it would save you money being on the 'net in the end because of all the information you'll get.

we have a laptop but no wireless internet near we can latch on.

we go to the public library. i have researched hours upon hours on norway and have some books as well.

my gf and I plan to get the internet very soon in our apartment anyway.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby V VII Hero » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:17 am

[quote="PinkFluffyCloud"]

Korn, from Vegan Forum (he owns/runs it) is Norwejan if that's any use, and I think they have a Norway sub-forum there. :oops: Not promoting other sites but you might get some help/advice there. Also, most countries have websites on immigration, or even tourist information that can help.

Good Luck with your plans! :D .

could you PM me the link please. I want to get all the advice I can.

I wrote to the embassy of Norway and they provided some information for me too.

I basically just have to live in Norway consecutively for like 5-7 years the minimum to be able to settle there and whatnot.

thank you :)

which is what I plan to do. I'm gonna go there on a work permit as a snowboard instructor.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby fredrikw » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:44 pm

to avoid having Hero's thread about Norway drowned in discussions about nationalism these posts has been moved to a thread of their own
http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7264
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Gelert » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:30 pm

Hi Hero,

I'm in Norway at the moment and it is just a spectacular place. I can totally see why you would want to move here.

Practicalities:
The authorities: They have a warmer feel to them than they do in the UK. I guess it might be because of the small population. We had some serious problems getting parcels delivered, and we called up the Norwegian post office, and we were told the guy wasn't in, we should call back the next day and ask for Hans. Meanwhile we had endless call centres and telephone tag trying to get to Hans's useless UK equivalent! Ditto dealing with the Norwegian Food Authority and the Governor of Svalbard.

Expense: I'm up on Svalbard, which is taxfree, and reasonable. On the Norwegian mainland, it can be truly expensive for even ordinary everyday things. Although Norwegian salaries compensate for this. My Norwegian equivalent earns twice as much as I do, for example.

The vegan existence: Tricky. I have been met by a mixture of befuddlement and occasionally gentle hostility. The Rough Guide says it best: Anywhere outside of Oslo, and life as a vegan gets to be very hard. The traditional meat and fish daily diet of Norwegians is a bit tricky to get around. I have basically relied on builder bars and baked beans as a daily protein source...

One thing I would finish off on though is a surreal encounter I had with a guy who had sailed from the mainland to Svalbard in a restored 120 year old 24 ft boat. As we chatted away in the midnight sun, I was warming to the guy, and his tales of visiting Milton Keynes. He mentioned he abhorred processed foods, and modern agriculture. He never touched meat from the supermarket.
And then he told me what his day job is: He was a seal hunter. Last season, he and a few colleagues had killed over 3000 seals on the pack ice just east of Greenland. I made my excuses and left because there was nothing I could say that could bridge the gulf between our ways of living.

Anyway, from what I have seen so far, I would love to visit Norway again (and again!) Good luck with your move Hero :D
Gelert

Postby line » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:41 pm

I'm a Norwegian, living in Trondheim.
It's not that expensive here. Our wages are comparable to the costs of living.
But I think you might be a little disappointed when you get here, we have McDonalds, BurgerKing, Pizza/Kebab and SevenEleven on every street corner in the cities. American culture has really infected us through television. We don't wear viking helmets or have blond babes milking cows by hand any more, and kids are spraypainting rubbish on beautiful buildings, beating eachother up and experiment with drugs on their leisure time, just like they do in other countries. The weather can also be pretty nasty in the winter, depending on where you live.

We do have a lot of space. We have vast forrest areas, mountains and fjords, midnight sun and northern light, and our social service system is close to perfect. Our educational system is also good.
It is usually not difficult to imigrate from the US, and it is not difficult to get a job if you've got the required education. You'll have to live and work here for four years before you can apply for citizenchip.
..and by the way: we have a left wing government now. The previous two were equally balanced.

Looking forward to having more vegan citizens here. :lol:
Welcome to Hell! The Gods expedition is located near Trondheim's airport. Yes, the name of the place is really Hell, but hell means luck in Norwegian :wink: ..and gods means goods. You'll probably get quite a few laughs while learning the language. ..btw, nynorsk is not so commonly used. 90% of written comunication is on bokmål. The different spoken regional accents (like møremål, nordnorsk, siddis and trøndersk) are probably pretty difficult to understand no matter which of the two official languages you learn.

Edit: it's not very difficult to be vegan in the cities. We have vegan food available in a supermarket chain called Ultra. And there are health food stores everywhere, though they're expensive. Ordering online is an option.
Member of the PPAF
(Peace Preserving Aerobic Forces)

line

Postby Gelert » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:23 pm

[quote="line"]
It's not that expensive here. Our wages are comparable to the costs of living.

Welcome to VF line

No doubt the wages cover it well - a Norwegian friend of mine doing the same job earns twice what I get - but it would be different for an incomer. to begin with I imagine. I can't wait to visit mainland Norway to see what it's like...
Gelert

Postby Fruitbat » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:25 pm

its funny so many countries get a reputation of being expensive but usually salary and public services reflect the expense of a country too... so Switzerland isnt really expensive for those who live and work there - just those who visit so I guess it shte same as for Norwegians!
Fruitbat

Previous

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews