norway

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

norway

Postby V VII Hero » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:53 am

recently my gf and I have been trying to find a place we'd like to move to in a few years, and we decided that anywhere in the USA is out of question. so we've been looking around for other countries to move to.

norway is breath taking and we love the culture and lifestyle we've read about.

we ended up picking up a book on norway. also I am interested in learning the language: Nynorsk. so i will be semi-fluent in it.

when my gf graduates uni in about 3-4 years with a bachelor's in philosophy, we're gonna get married and we'd like to move to Norway.

I know it takes 3 years of living in norway on some special residency permit before we can become official citizens or something like that and settle there permanently.

anyway,

I am currently working as an electrician apprentice ,and come 2007 will be apprenticing as a solar panel installer here in Arizona, USA. and plan to be a pv technician working with solar energy until my gf graduates.

so...
does anyone live in norway? and if so how do we go about finding jobs there and being able to move there permanently and build a house? and all that...

we want to move there more than anything. and any tips is helpful on how we can immigrate there. thanks

also is norway vegan friendly?
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby Jonathan » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:33 am

I wouldn't be able to advise you about Norway Topher, but we are setting a small commune here in Edinburgh this year, and in 3-4 years we plan to get a larger one in the Scottish Highlands. We are looking to have about 8 people involved with it, potentially one or two more. All vegan, all VF folk most likely, and a strong emphasis on training. Brian and I will obviously have the mother of all gyms set up :wink: Did I mention that you can snowboard in the highlands???

PM me is this interests you :D

Jonathan
[quote="Kathryn"]You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby JP » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:38 am

Hey hero wassup mate! :D

well, pretty rad to sel;ect a place to live on a basis of a book - here's a suggestion: why not take one of these "interrail" type of trips to europe and sample some countries?

I mean, Norway is in many ways a great country, beautiful nature and scenery, but if you wanted to pick an european country to move to, Norway is probably the hardest to emigrate to.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Tarz » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:19 am

A very expensive country too from what I've heard from several people.
Tarz

Postby bronco » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:17 am

[quote="Tarz"]A very expensive country too from what I've heard from several people.

Yeah, this is true as far as I know.
[quote="JP"]Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby loveliberate » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:52 pm

Topher,

I'm very curious to see where ya'll end up deciding on moving to. I'd be happy to offer some suggestions if you'll tell me more about what you are seeking. What factors are you two considering in choosing a place? Why have you ruled out all of the US?

A general question for folks here: What countries are easiest to immigrate to?
loveliberate

Postby Tarz » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:43 pm

[quote="loveliberate"] A general question for folks here: What countries are easiest to immigrate to?

It depends what education n skills you got. :wink:
Tarz

Postby Tarz » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:51 pm

Probably from one EU country to another EU country is the easiest in terms of bureacracy.

Australians can emigrate to New Zealand and vice versa without restriction, although the antipodeans here may want to correct me as I believe the Aussies have clamped down a bit coz of all the poms getting Australian residency through the backdoor by living in NZ for a couple of years first.

The size of the bank balance can also be a factor in some places ( so the authorities know that you can support yourself and not be a burden on your new state ).

It also depends if you are going to migrate legally or not. :D
Tarz

Postby V VII Hero » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:02 pm

[quote="JP"]Hey hero wassup mate! :D

well, pretty rad to sel;ect a place to live on a basis of a book - here's a suggestion: why not take one of these "interrail" type of trips to europe and sample some countries?

I mean, Norway is in many ways a great country, beautiful nature and scenery, but if you wanted to pick an european country to move to, Norway is probably the hardest to emigrate to.

hey JP,

I know its the hardest to move to but we're set on moving there.

we would take the interrail around europe to pick out a country we like, but we dont have the money right now, plus the only country we both agree upon is norway. if we go visit, we wont want to leave. lol.

we found out that international students can attend Uni there for free, but we have to apply to the universities way in advance (1-2 years), be accepted , then have enough money to prove we can live there by having it in our bank account, in order to get a residency permit and whatnot.

either way. im hoping someone here from norway can help us out and clue us in as to how to go about doing this.

both my gf and I want to move to norway soooo bad more than anywhere else.
we also want to attend university there, and when graduated, get married, and settle down in norway and work our jobs there with the degrees we get from Uni.
V VII Hero

Postby V VII Hero » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:05 pm

[quote="Tarz"]A very expensive country too from what I've heard from several people.

yeh, but all my gf and I require is the necessities to buy. we dont care for designer clothes, television, brand name items, or stuff like that.

all we'll buy is food, housing, and transportation. and whatever else we need to survive.
V VII Hero

Postby V VII Hero » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:12 pm

[quote="loveliberate"]Topher,

I'm very curious to see where ya'll end up deciding on moving to. I'd be happy to offer some suggestions if you'll tell me more about what you are seeking. What factors are you two considering in choosing a place? Why have you ruled out all of the US?

A general question for folks here: What countries are easiest to immigrate to?

we're set on norway . :D

we hate america. we ruled it out cause we hate the society here, the government, materialism, the SUV's, Mcdonald's and all that stereotypical american crap.:evil:

she grew up in the southwest, and I grew up on the east coast. and we both realized we dont fit in here in america, nor do we want to stay on this sinking ship or be a part of it or associated with america in any way.

and norway is the best country for everything we like and want to do/experience. from the scenery/nature to the culture/lifestyle, the weather, snowboarding, government, health care, the language, universities, etc.

we love norway and have fallen in love with it.

we seek norway. we dont seek the easiest countries to move to nor the hardest. we just plain old and simply seek norway...and yes it does happen to be pretty hard to get in to , but that isnt why we selected it. we selected it cause we love everything it has to offer us.

one day her and i would like to get married and have a kid, and no way are we raising a kid in the USA. we want to raise our kid somewhere spectacular to grow up. and norway is a dream place to live (for us).
V VII Hero

Postby V VII Hero » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:13 pm

sorry for the slow responses.

my gf and I dont have the internet, we have to go to the public library to use the internet, and its limited and timed usage, and only open certain hours.
V VII Hero

Postby loveliberate » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:57 pm

Topher,

Best wishes with the move amigo. Did you decide against traveling the world volunteering?

With as many things as I dont like about the US (including most of what ya mentioned), I feel odd coming to its defense... But there are so many different and wonderful types of places and people here. It's also so easy to travel/move around if you want to. Plus we have fairly easy access to Canada & Mexico. I'd love to visit and live in many places around the world but here in Portland/Cascadia, I consider myself to already be in one of the best places available. All things considered, I think this country is a pretty great place to be for most folks.

I can understand that it might not be right for you though and I hope that Norway is all that you'd like it to be & more.
loveliberate

Postby JP » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:03 am

yeah best wishes from me too!

I am not defending US (or any other state for that matter), but in times like these dissent is exactly what US needs. I know it is a lot to ask from people being stuck in that situation and in that environment, but things never change by themselves. Only by people actively being there, organising, educating, discussing etc.

anyways, keep us updated on how your plans mature!

Last minute chance to put you off norway: oil producer, whale hunter, fur farmer, nato member, very nationalistic, isolationist... ;) people are cool though, so that makes it all up anyway :lol:
JP
Site Admin

Postby Tarz » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:55 am

[quote="V VII Hero"][quote="Tarz"]A very expensive country too from what I've heard from several people.

yeh, but all my gf and I require is the necessities to buy. we dont care for designer clothes, television, brand name items, or stuff like that.

all we'll buy is food, housing, and transportation. and whatever else we need to survive.

I meant the basics too. In some places even the every day stuff you need to get by costs a lot too, regardless of if you do or do not wish to buy non-essential consumer goods.
Tarz

Next

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews