Beijing- any experience?

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Beijing- any experience?

Postby floraluna » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:36 pm

Hey vf folks,

I'm moving to Beijing in about a month (for about a year). Anyone live there, spent serious time there? We'll have an apartment so I'll be doing a lot of cooking but I'm trying to figure out how expensive things will be, how much of certain items (quinoa, wild rice, hemp protein, and such) I should bring with me, and strategies for dealing with the pollution and training. Should I plan to train indoors exclusively and just start weight training, swimming, yoga and such seriously and mostly stop running for a year (for the past few years I've been totally focused on running ultras)?

Anyone have any experience? I'd love to hear any input about the city! I'm excited to live in a new place and learn Mandarin, but I'm sort of shocked that I'm letting myself move to one of the most polluted cities there is (this is something that in the past I've said I would NEVER do- now that the opportunity to experience a completely new place is here, I can't pass it up :-)).

Thanks!!
flora
Wishing you a happy, healthy and peaceful day!
floraluna

Postby runner » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:30 pm

Sorry for not being able to help you with bejin

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMEE6A5QCE_index_0.html

i would bring my shoes and see how it works..

you might need to run on special times of the day or not for a while because of the polution..

i would check some international running forums.. or chinese ones.. can you read chinese?
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews