Turkey!

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Turkey!

Postby chloe » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:51 pm

Has anyone been?
Ive been browsing the options for a weeks getaway for my boyfriends birthday at the end of april and think Turkey might be the one,...
Does anyone have any tips, ideas, good experiences??
Though somewhere reccommended thats not Turkey but is warm-hot, would also be appreciated,..oh thats on this continent though.
chloe

Postby xJimx » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Never been to Turkey, but i've been to the Greek Islands loads of times and always found it easy to get vegan food in the shops and restaurants. Ususally pretty cheap, not too far to travel and great weather!
DYEL
xJimx

Postby GenTDuke » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:27 pm

Ive been turky the weather is great but I didnt like the locals much, they all wanna sell you something and hassle you. I had my ass spanked in a turkish bath as well :oops:

I would recomend any of the Canarie islands ive been to Lanzerote and Teneriffe, weather is great people are kool.
GenTDuke

Postby Crash » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:47 pm

[quote="GenTDuke"] I had my ass spanked in a turkish bath as well :oops:.

:shock: :lol: You can't make a provocative comment like that and not elaborate..... :P What happened ?
Demolisher of faces and my enemies beards (no matter where they are located) since 2002.

www.PCRM.org
Click here to help homeless animals.

All truth goes through 3 stages - 1st it's ridiculed. Then it's violently opposed. Finally it's accepted as self-evident.
Crash

Postby GenTDuke » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:03 pm

[quote="Crash"][quote="GenTDuke"] I had my ass spanked in a turkish bath as well :oops:.

:shock: :lol: You can't make a provocative comment like that and not elaborate..... :P What happened ?

Dunno if I realy want to, but okay. Basicly me and other Tom went to get a massage etc the full works, it turned out to be a nightmare from hell.

Went into the place and all the guys were all gigling like girls so I knew I was in trouble, they all said I look like david Beckham... whatever. Anyway we go into the massge room where the two of them synronised on me and other Tom (they do the same routine) so as they were massageing us in time at the same pace they slapped our asses on cue a few times and giggled, and they made us look away from each other so they could have control of the situation.

Anyway I geuss it was in good fun, I just laughed it off plus I dont like the idea of turkish goulag, any no matter I just dont like other men touching my bum and or other regions.
GenTDuke

Postby GenTDuke » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:06 pm

Oh yeah, watch Turkish midnight Express. Then youl never wanna go there "oh billy" lol
GenTDuke

Postby Malcolms Billy » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:57 am

[quote="GenTDuke"] Then youl never wanna go there "oh billy" lol

huh????

Aaaanyway, this is a loooong time ago so I don't know how the further development of tourism has affected the country, but I've been to Turkey twice, as a girl backpacking on my own, and had a fantastic time both times. Wasn't vegan then, so I couldn't tell you about that, but what I do know about Turkish/middle eastern cuisine it shouldn't be hard at all. Sure I got hassled, but, unlike in some other countries, I found it all very good natured. I've been taken to "go see my brother shop" and despite me telling them that I was travelling alone with a rucksack and that there was no way I could load a carpet on top of that, the tea still came out and I ended up nattering to the brother and his whole family for hours (and thus ended up taking 8 hours to walk 200 yards to the post office to buy a few stamps, lol :lol: ). It's a beautiful country too :)
Malcolms Billy

Postby alit » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:40 am

I went when I was 18 Its a beautiful country, I remember the food being good - was vegetarian then, even found a vegan place in Bodrum off the beaten track - fantastic cheap food.

Have been to Greece a lot and the food is fine for vegans - I eat tin after tin of Greek beans there and they are even better in a cafe! The vege dishes are soooo fresh and tasty :D

I remember the friendly hassle off the men there and the offers of a few camels :shock: :roll: :wink:

Didnt brave the Turkish baths!

Alison :D
alit

Postby chloe » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:51 am

hmm thanks folks, yeah ive seen midnight express, GREAT movie, and i dont think either of us are planning on taking any hash home as a souvenir,....
Ive been to Greece a few times, and wanted somewhere different, we're also going to visit a friend on Icarus after the week somewhere before.
I think i will investigate Turkey.I think i could eat stuffed vine leaves til the cows come home, and would like to check out some of the ancient history of the place.
chloe

Postby GenTDuke » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:55 am

When I was there some english guys were hassling the locals for weed, I asked them if they had seen the film: obviousley they had not. Aparently the film is totyal BS anyway; according to the turkish goverment.

Give it a wirl man, the weather is so good there and the water is Sooo clear in the sea it realy nice. I think maybe im being to english about being hassled and stuff.
GenTDuke

Postby Tarz » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:01 am

You gotta go. :D

I love Turkey. I preferred Marmaris to Bodrum. Both are very developed as is Kusadasi. Alanya, Fethiye, Side, Kas, Olu Deniz/Hisaronou (sp?) are not quite so developed.

I would love one day to venture into the rural hinterland. Eastern Turkey looks fascinating too.

The food is excellent - so much vegan stuff. Go to a proper Turkish cafe/restaurant - not one that caters for tourists - and they will have loadsa vegan options at cheap prices. Check out the meze options at the counter and you'll soon get to know what is and isn't vegan. The staff will happily advise. You must try Iman Bayaldi. Green beans, white beans, seaweed etc etc.

Yep, the amount of culture and history and Turkey is amazing.

The locals do hassle you ( that is nothin to what I'm experincing in Goa at the moment though - the hawkers will even wake you if you are sleeping on a lounger :? ), but overall the Turks are very frindly and hospitable. They love to chat and welcome them to their country. They are incredibly proud of their country.

Fascinating place geo-politically, strategically etc etc. It's a shame about their treatment of the Kurds in the East, and the human rights overall is not the best, ut improvements are being made in efforts to gain EU entry.

Read the book 'Midnight Express' - the film is not a totally accurate dramatisation of the book. The book was right 30 odd years ago when the events hapened, dunno if too much has really changed for anyone trying to smuggle drugs..... Anyhow Tom, that's kinda like sayin watch the Birdman of Alcatraz or Murder in the First and you'll never want to go the US. :wink:
Tarz

Postby compassionategirl » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:31 am

[quote="Crash"][quote="GenTDuke"] I had my ass spanked in a turkish bath as well :oops:.

:shock:

Chloe: If you need any help with any translation, or want me to write you up some common sentences that you may want to know, like "does anybody here speak English?" , let me know.
"One cannot speak of peace with a mouthful of victims of violence."

"If the animal rights movement pushes too hard, too fast, it is because the excesses in the opposite direction are mammoth in comparison."
compassionategirl

Postby bronco » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:35 am

[quote="compassionategirl"] :shock: :lol: I second that! We need more details please.

Exactly how much details do you want :shock: :lol: .
[quote="JP"]Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby compassionategirl » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:36 am

[quote="bronco"][quote="compassionategirl"] :shock: :lol: I second that! We need more details please.

Exactly how much details do you want :shock: :lol: .

:lol: :lol: Ya, Bronco I went back and realized that GenTduke already filled us in, so I editted my post on a cross post with yours.

Those details will suffice, thank-you! :shock: :lol: :wink:
"One cannot speak of peace with a mouthful of victims of violence."

"If the animal rights movement pushes too hard, too fast, it is because the excesses in the opposite direction are mammoth in comparison."
compassionategirl

Postby chloe » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:31 pm

HEY compassionate girl,..yeessss pleease!! Some vegan phrases would be really usefull, thats my biggest worry, mostly you can just manage but a little flash card about the importance of not eating anything animal related would be very cool.!
thankyou!
chloe

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews