Vancouver

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Postby veganmonk » Wed May 10, 2006 5:33 pm

Evenings and weekends for me only...
veganmonk

Postby loveliberate » Wed May 10, 2006 7:23 pm

[quote="JP"]no mate, portland is way off - and we are staying firmly in canadian soil :D Only 2 weeks time, and so much to see and experience in BC already.

Cascadian &/or Salish soil, comp@ - not "canadian"!

"Way off"? I assume ya mean that we're too far away? Must come from living on that strange little island you have... :twisted: It's only about 6 hours driving between our 2 cities and if you come here too you'll have been to both the US & Canada's most Veg-friendly cities. Heck, I'll even buy ya some lunch!

BC is definitely cool and 2 weeks will only give you a taste of all that it has to offer...
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby compassionategirl » Thu May 11, 2006 5:54 am

Gald you had a nice time loveliberate.

hey, how come nobody wants to come to toronto? :( it sucks here though so i understand.

anyway, maybe it was expensive because the Canadian dollar has been the strongest it has been in years. They were saying on the news how just 5 years ago $3500 american dollars would get you $5000 canadian. Now, for $5000 canadian you would need $4500 us.

Some economists are apparently even predicting that the canadian dollar, at the rate it is going, will exceed the american dollar :shock:

i bet that will never happen.

americans call our money "funny money" cuz its so colourful. I love canadian money. you can never mistake a $10 for a $20 cuz they are different colours. :D
"One cannot speak of peace with a mouthful of victims of violence."

"If the animal rights movement pushes too hard, too fast, it is because the excesses in the opposite direction are mammoth in comparison."
compassionategirl

Postby veganmonk » Thu May 11, 2006 6:11 am

hey compassionategirl - I go out to Toronto a few times a year for yucky business purposes - but get put up at the Metropolitan and write-off all the dinners - Toronto has great food. But damn, there are no trees, no mountains, no oceans, and the only way to tell where you are going is to read the names of the streets as north, east, south, west - LOL - it is really really hard when you are from BC as we just use the horizon or mountains to navigate.

But, nonetheless, next time I'm out will see if there is a Toronto get together thing?

Going to Montreal in June - that should be fun - but again just for work, so maybe not =(
veganmonk

Postby compassionategirl » Thu May 11, 2006 8:25 am

[quote="veganmonk"]hey compassionategirl - I go out to Toronto a few times a year for yucky business purposes - but get put up at the Metropolitan and write-off all the dinners - Toronto has great food. But damn, there are no trees, no mountains, no oceans, and the only way to tell where you are going is to read the names of the streets as north, east, south, west - LOL - it is really really hard when you are from BC as we just use the horizon or mountains to navigate.

But, nonetheless, next time I'm out will see if there is a Toronto get together thing?

Going to Montreal in June - that should be fun - but again just for work, so maybe not =(

ya toronto friggin sucks. i hate this god forsaken city and everything it stands for.

but next time you are here i would love to meet with you and go to vegan dinner. so pm me when you are here, and that goes for anybody else too.

"If the animal rights movement pushes too hard, too fast, it is because the excesses in the opposite direction are mammoth in comparison."
compassionategirl

Postby Tarz » Thu May 11, 2006 9:00 am

[quote="compassionategirl"]americans call our money "funny money" cuz its so colourful. I love canadian money. you can never mistake a $10 for a $20 cuz they are different colours. :D

Is it plastic money? The notes are in Australia, so it may be in one of the other colonies too?
Tarz

Postby compassionategirl » Thu May 11, 2006 9:53 am

no it is paper money, but each denomination has a different colour

compassionategirl

Postby Dave Noisy » Wed May 17, 2006 4:31 pm

[quote="compassionategirl"]Some economists are apparently even predicting that the canadian dollar, at the rate it is going, will exceed the american dollar :shock:

Actually...heh...until the late 70's (or 80's?) the Canadian dollar had always been 'higher' than the US dollar.

I don't think it really makes much difference tho, since our prices are relative to the value of our dollar...tho the rapid shift in exchange does leave some room for good deals right now, it'll balance out again.
Dave Noisy

Postby compassionategirl » Wed May 17, 2006 4:35 pm

[quote="Dave Noisy"][quote="compassionategirl"]Some economists are apparently even predicting that the canadian dollar, at the rate it is going, will exceed the american dollar :shock:

Actually...heh...until the late 70's (or 80's?) the Canadian dollar had always been 'higher' than the US dollar.

Those days seem like centuries ago though, dont they? :lol:

compassionategirl

Postby RobertCheeke » Mon May 22, 2006 8:57 pm

JP,

Can you remind me of the dates you'll be there?

I should be able to make it if I'm not working or attending an event.

Cheeke
Robert Cheeke
"When your actions speak for themselves, don't interrupt."
www.myspace.com/veganbodybuilding
RobertCheeke

Postby loveliberate » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:06 am

JP, Rochelle & All,
So did our British friends make it to British Columbia? If so, how was it? I notice JP hasn't posted in a few days - are ya'll there now? I'd hoped (still do) that we could all meet-up...
loveliberate

Postby RobertCheeke » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:02 pm

JP and I exchanged a bunch of e-mails and I was hoping to make it up there for a meet-up, but things got busier for his schedule, as well as mine.

I think he is up there now. I just sent a package to Dave Noisy to give a gift to JP. They'll be staying with Dave for a couple of days over there.

No no meet-up for us this time loveliberate, but next time we'll try to catch up with the European crowd.

I was really looking forward to it, after being in touch with JP for nearly 5 years now!

I'm going to plan a visit over there sometime too, perhaps next years VF week.

So that is the update for now, I believe they are there now and are quite busy and don't have much time to meet up and train or hang out. But next time :)
Robert Cheeke
"When your actions speak for themselves, don't interrupt."
www.myspace.com/veganbodybuilding
RobertCheeke

Postby loveliberate » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:37 pm

Thanks for the update. Too bad things didnt work out this time... Who knows, maybe I'll win the lottery and take us over for the '07 VF week!
:wink:

Oh yeah - are any of you folks in BC planning on coming down to Portland for Vegan Vacation week?
loveliberate

Postby Dave Noisy » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:06 pm

Yep, they made it to Van, and especially Vic! We had a great time, and it was sooo great to hang out with these guys, stellar people. =)

Can't wait until they visit again!!! (Like, so many more flavors of Soy Delicious for you to sample!! ;)

I've never seen so many Clif bars bought in one shot tho..i think they filled a suitcase..hehehe
Dave Noisy

Postby JP » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:27 am

hey yeah, we did do our trip - it was awesome, canada rocks! and the nature in vancouver island, just amazing :D

it was great to meet you dave and dadga (is that the right spelling?), too bad we couldn't meet up with veganmonk and others.

we should have organised a meetup and training :D

But we did get a quick velodrome session in though, that was great, especially watching Dave and Dadga race 8)
JP
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews