Vancouver

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Vancouver

Postby stateofflux » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:09 pm

JP and I will be in Vancouver in early June for 3 days and would like to travel a bit in BC a bit after that.

Would any locals on VF care to recommend where we should go, and what we should see? Specifically interested in outdoorsy stuff, though not into skiing or snowboarding. Any vegan/veg restaurants we should visit?
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:41 am

Hello, I'm from the Vancouver area, in Maple Ridge at the moment (and not a city person -- avoid those). I'm very much into the outdoors.

First, there are lots of vegetarian restaurants in Vancouver. More than California? Per capita, I'll bet it there are more! But, which do I like? Buddhist Vegetarian Restaurant. Veggie Bunch. Bodhi Choi Heung Vegetarian Restaurant, Hon's On Robson ("no msg please" here!). Hm, they're all Chinese, I wonder why? Mabe because hippie food -- although sometimes good, costs too much and I don't get enough to eat as I'm a big eater and love food. and the food is ready in 10 minutes, not 40!! The NAAM is our most popular and oldest being open 24hrs a day, but not 100% vegan, but cool hangout.

There are lots of great hiking places around here, of course. People come from all over the world to BC to go hiking. So, go hiking. Go swimming in some lakes. And along the way, you’ll find other stuff to do too.

There are two local hiking books that I use:
.... 109 walks (up to 4 hr. walks)
.... 102 hikes (4 plus hours)

But, basically, there are so many places to go hiking that all you have to do is “look over there, lets go” and that’s all you have to do. That’s all I do. When in the Lower Mainland, looking to the north you will see the start of the coastal mountains which is also the huge Garibaldi park. Garibaldi park also attaches to Golden Ears Park which all attach to lots of local parks and lake areas etc. For example, one could go to Bunzen lake, take a slow 3 hour walk around the lake, or go for a fast paced 10 hour hike along the dilly dally trail (don’t dilly dally). The same options are at every park, little walk, or 2 week trek.

.... http://www.clubtread.com
.... http://www.britishcolumbia.com/ParksAndTrails/ [bc government]
.... http://www.gvrd.bc.ca/parks [greater van. regional parks]

If you are only here for 3 days, I'd keep everything pretty local if I were you. It's easy to look on the map, "let's go here" but it will end up being a 7 hour drive. I'm certain that if you stick to the "North Shore" (aka North Vancouver), you will not be dissapointed, and the seabus/bus can take you there. Take the tram to the top of Grouse Mountain (skip the Grouse Grind trail, it's for city people; full of stairs and only 50min.), then there are lots of great trails from there with lots of views, such as Crown Mountain.

In N. Van. you have:
.... Cypress/Grouse/Seymour mountains

To the East of N. Van. is:
.... Belcarra/*Sasamat Lake /**Bunzen Lake area
.... (*good swimming, warm) (**good but cold swimming)

East of that is:
.... Burke Mtn./Pitt Lake (canoe rental)/
.... Golden Ears Park Alloette Lake (canoe rental) area

OK, well, too much information for only 3 days I suppose, but perhaps others are interested too.
Last edited by Scott on Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
Scott

Postby stateofflux » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:07 am

Thanks Scott, that's really useful information!
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:14 am

Vancouver was a great experience, I was there two years ago.

I used this guide when I was in Vancouver
http://www.korvus.com/vancouvervegan/dining/

this also seems like a good thing to use
http://www.vancouverveg.com/vegguide.php

I went to a lot of Asian restaurants, and they were all really nice. The Naam was a cool place.

Instead of taking the tram to the top of Grouse Mountain you could check out the Grouse Grind. Really tough and steep ascent up the mountain, a good workout :)

that's what I remember from the top of my head
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Dave Noisy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:35 pm

Oh yay!! You'll have to come over to Victoria!! (On Vancouver Island, which is separate from Vancouver, to straighten that one out right away!)

You catch a ferry just outside of Van, which takes you outside of Vic, it's pretty easy. =)

The island is amazing, as is the city. And you can crash in my Vegan House of course! (And come to the velodrome here to. ;)
Dave Noisy

Postby stateofflux » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:00 pm

Thanks for the invite Dave, we'll take you up on it, including a trip to the Velodrome!

Is BC Ferries the only company that transports people between Vancouver and Victoria?
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby stateofflux » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:52 am

Scott, is your bakery only home delivery now? Would be nice to sample your baked goods when we are in Vancouver. How far in Maple Ridge from central Vancouver?
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Dave Noisy » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:46 am

[quote="Rochelle"]Thanks for the invite Dave, we'll take you up on it, including a trip to the Velodrome!

Is BC Ferries the only company that transports people between Vancouver and Victoria?

Pretty much, unless you wanna fly, like with Harbour Air..
Dave Noisy

Postby RobertCheeke » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:07 am

I'm not too far from Vancouver, and my Father's side of the family lives in Vancouver and Victoria. So maybe I'll come up to meet up with you. After being in touch for about 4 years now (mostly with JP), it would be nice to meet you in person...and a good excuse to finally see my relatives I haven't seen in a few years.

I'll keep it in mind and if you have a spare hour, it would be fun to meet up.

My friend Brendan Brazier lives in Vancouver so I could stay with him or with family.

We could have a local vegan fitness meet-up for an couple hours maybe?

Just a thought, maybe see you this summer :)

-Robert
Robert Cheeke
"When your actions speak for themselves, don't interrupt."
www.myspace.com/veganbodybuilding
RobertCheeke

Postby JP » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:05 am

scott, thank you very much for the detailed reply! A lot of things to consider there :D

Its a work trip, but since it is to such a wonderful destination we decided rochelle will come along and we will tag couple weeks holiday to it as well, will get my flights and many hotel days for free :D

Dave noisy, that ferry trip sounds great as well, i'd love to do that, so i guess you'll be seeing us in few months time 8)

Keegan, meetup would be great bro! I think it is a high time we would hook up mate, the dates are around early june, but we will keep this thread updated for more info as things get confirmed.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Dave Noisy » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:48 am

Kick ass - looking forward to meeting you guys. The ferry ride is really beautiful.

And a West Coast VF Meet-Up sounds *perfect*!!!! I nominate my city. =)

Woohoo!
Dave Noisy

Postby RobertCheeke » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:16 pm

I'll do my best to be there....yeah JP, it will be about bloody time we meet up!

:shock:

I look forward to see you, Rochelle, and Dave Noisy as well. And maybe others. We have a bunch of people from that area on www.veganbodybuilding.com too :)

-Rob
Robert Cheeke
"When your actions speak for themselves, don't interrupt."
www.myspace.com/veganbodybuilding
RobertCheeke

Postby buggy » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:23 am

Are veganfitness.net newbies allowed to come too? :mrgreen:
We can play frisbee together.

ps what is the mrgreen emoticon supposed to convey? he's cuuute! (I need to get to sleep)
buggy

Postby stateofflux » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:19 pm

for sure, buggy, it'd be great to meet you :D
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby janette » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:05 am

the foundation is another really good vegan friendly restaurant in van. get the platter.
janette

Next

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews