Vegan Saint Louis???

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Vegan Saint Louis???

Postby kspaghetti » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:58 am

kspaghetti

Postby Jinga » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:32 am

A completely vegan restaurant in STL is Eternity Cafe. Their kale is awesome! They have some staple menu items, but there's also a selection of rotating specials. The lasagna and strawberry 'cheese'cake are definately must tries. The place offers homemade soy icecream. It was a little too soy-ish for me, but interesting none the less.

I've heard Govinda's is good, but I've never tried it. Its a vegetarian restaurant.

Some vegan friends took me to a place called Lulus Seafood. It does have seafood, but they also have excellent tofu! Besides the 'salt and pepper tofu', they have a page of veggie options including two must tries: garlic broccoli (more like spinach, but ask for the vegetarian version) and crispy eggplant. Its authentic Chinese fare, plus they'll have stuff your non-veggie friend may be more comfortable with. I recommend having the meal 'family style'. All the dishes get placed in the middle of the table so everyone can scoop portions and try it all. I took my parents to Lulus. My father ended up liking the tofu *gasp* and my mother couldn't get enough of the eggplant. I was amazed to say the least.

If you are looking for more familiar places, I've found Ramanos Macaroni Grill, Qdobas, and St. Louis Bread Co to be decent choices. Macaronis has a create your own pasta option that includes whole wheat noodles, garlic olive oil or marinara sauce, plus several add in veggie options. Qdobas has a create your own taco option with two types or beans, several types of salsa, and guac. St. Louis Bread Co (aka Panera Bread) usually has a vegan soup and salad, plus plenty of bread and bagel options.

If you need any more info, let me know. I'll rack my brain some more.
Jinga

Postby wannalift » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:55 pm

good to see you back posting on here jinga. hope all is well. jeers to the blues for being the worst team in hockey and still shutting out the pens :x
wannalift

Postby Jinga » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:00 pm

[quote="wannalift"]good to see you back posting on here jinga. hope all is well. jeers to the blues for being the worst team in hockey and still shutting out the pens :x

Ha! The Rams are even worse off. I think the Steelers will kick their butts, so you can get your payback in due time ;) Completely different sport, but you can claim bragging rights none the less. Pittsburgh is usually my second choice anyway ... my birth city :D
Jinga

Postby wannalift » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:26 pm

another pittsburgh girl, awesome. pittsburgh is becoming all the rage around these parts. doesn't surprise me considering its probably the greatest city in the world. the rams are actually my favorite nfc team. i like their high powered offense and bulger represents wvu quite nicely. hockey is my #1 sport though so you can imagine the tough time i'm going through here :cry:
wannalift

Postby Jinga » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:18 pm

*pats you on back* It'll be ok, mister. I haven't been to PA in awhile, but I fondly remember the green rolling hills and all those tunnels through the mountains. However, we seem to have completely hijacked this thread.

Sorry Kristin :?
Jinga

Postby kspaghetti » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:17 pm

Mmmm.... Eternity Cafe sounds great and I like the option of family-style food at Lulu's! I lived in Springfield, MO for a while and so am familiar with St Louis Bread; we eat at Panera in CO semi-regularly. It's always nice, however, to select restaurants where we know the employees have an idea of what a "vegan" is, and also to have some assurance that no animal products are lurking in our food.

Thanks for the tips, no worries on the minor topic-jack. I'm very glad to have some personal input on places to go while we're up there. I'll Mapquest the restaurants you suggested and suggest them to our buds in STL on Weds.

Thanks again!!
Kristin
kspaghetti

Postby kspaghetti » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:59 pm

Back from our trip, but I wanted to write in and say we ate at Eternity Deli and everything was *delicious*!! Friendly staff, too. I'll seek it out on return visits to STL in the future.

Anyone visiting Saint Louis in the future should head over to the Central West End for some great food at the Eternity Cafe/Deli! Thanks for the tip.

Kristin
kspaghetti

Postby Jinga » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:43 pm

Wow, I'm really late to respond ... but I'm glad you loved it! :D
Jinga

Postby Jinga » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:09 am

Just an update ...

I went to Eternity Cafe a couple weeks ago for lunch. I'm sorry to say, I was very disappointed. They no longer had a menu anywhere, not even posted above the register. Their delicious vegan desserts, that used to be proudly displayed in a glass case, were no where to be seen. The only food in the place was a hot bar with about 6 options you could mix and match. I'm not sure if they've just downsized for weekday lunch or if its a permanent thing. Its not like there's any other place around where you can get a rich vegan lasagna w/ homemade vegan ice cream or strawberry covered 'cheese'cake for for dessert. Twas a very sad day.
Jinga

Postby tofuPUNK » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:24 am

Just another "Yinzer" who wants to add my two cents. Although, I did live in Columbia, Missoura :wink: for a year. If you ever come home to the 'Burgh, my favorite restaurant here is Mad Mex (www.madmex.com). They are a mexican restaurant suitable for all types of eaters. I thought I was going to faint when they told me that they would substitute tofu, vegan cheese, and vegan sour cream into any entree. They also have a nice selection of vegan dishes. Highly recommended!!!!
tofuPUNK

Postby Jinga » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:32 am

Ooo. That sounds awesome. Another reason to go back to visit :D ... I'll forever miss the tunnels and sweeping green hills ... er mountains.

For the record. I don't say Missour-ah! :P For shame!

On a mexican food note, the place across from Eternity Cafe made me a special soft taco packed with black beans and squash. Very tasty.
Jinga

Postby pelicanAndrew » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:43 am

I just found out that a vegan restaurant by my work just got shut down. Sometimes it's due to rent hikes, which are happening everywhere. Very crappy news. They also had crazy business. My dad said the place used to be swarming with people. Maybe one of the owners is sick/passed away? Sad stuff like that happens too.

I still have the Chicago Diner which is amazzzzingggg. Even my dad loved it. He said the vegan pot-stickers were the best he ever had. I had a lentil burger wil soy cheddar. Scrumptious. Soul Vegetarian is next friday.
pelicanAndrew

Postby wannalift » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:44 pm

jinga was all set to help my stuff my face while i was in St. Louis. then i got an illness that was comparable to strep throat and i spent my whole weekend in my hotel room (less the time i was at the emergency room). looks like i didn't miss much at the eternity cafe though.

shout out to tofuPUNK. madmex is okay. i prefer the hunan kitchen in Sq. Hill when i want to do damage to my body and my wallet.
wannalift

Postby Jinga » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:12 pm

Yeah, I felt bad for you being so sick being away from home. I would have felt even worse if I'd managed to drag you there for nothing. ... and then I'd have felt worse yet if I'd have caught those killer germs. Yikes.

It wouldn't surprise me if the rent had been hiked. Its in a very happening part of the city. However, they also didn't seem to be consistantly busy. With more food choices, they were probably losing money due to food going bad before they could sell it.
Jinga

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews