South Korea

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby AbFab » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:32 am

Thanks, chloe.

Is a bath house like a spa?

Do we have to check about fish sauce though in the sun dubu?
AbFab

Postby chloe » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:33 pm

they dont traditionally use fish stock in it, they are really traditional about their food, which actually makes it really difficult to veganise somethings cos they just think you are insane and even when they have understood that you want a traditional dish but without the meat, they will give it to you with meat anyway.We had some really funny experiences, it confuses the hell out of them, just need to persist, knowing some korean or a korean really helps.
You can also find crazy budhist mushroom restaurants which are vegan.The whole restaurant all about mushrooms,. And kimchi is vegan and most of the side dishes,pickled horseraddish tofu etc.Be careful of the seaweed one though that sometimes comes with fishy stuff.
Bath house is like a spa. but so so so so good.i went everyday for three months, and i once flew via korea for 2 days JUST to go to the bath house.
need to find a good one though.
have fun, good luck.
chloe

Postby Rubber_Ritchie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:25 am

There is a veggie noodle dish in Korea called 'Not Poodle'.
Rubber Ritchie - Balloon artist/balloon modeller
Rubber_Ritchie

Postby chloe » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:22 pm

hahahahah, ok so its not poodle, but is it vegan?
chloe

Postby LeChuck » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:35 pm

I was in Korea for about 6 months, gotta love the place & food! It can be a bit tricky to find vegan food sometimes, knowing the someone who speaks the language helps a lot. There are few things I'd like to recommend:
- Bibimbap, just ask it without meat and egg. I prefer dolsot bibimbap, same food but in sizzling pot. Should be available in pretty much every korean restaurant :)
- Japchae, ask without meat. Sweet potato noodles & fried vegetables.

And now during the winter one should try
- Hoppang, warm rice cakes with redbean filling. Sold in most convinience stores
- Fish shaped, pancakeyish thingies filled with redbeans. Unfortunately I've forgot the name but you can get those from street vendors.
LeChuck

Postby Rubber_Ritchie » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:13 am

I've been to India, Thailand, Hong Kong and Korea and found Korea to be the worst by far. I'm married to a Korean so I had 'er indoors' to tell them all what we can/can't eat. There were a few dished but it ended up being the same few things all the time and got really boring.
Rubber Ritchie - Balloon artist/balloon modeller
Rubber_Ritchie

Postby barnz2k » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:13 pm

Yeh go with Veggie Bibimbap without egg, then its literally rice and vegetables.

Kim Chi (however you spell it) is everywhere, i dont really like spicy food but I dont mind kim chi, eat it with rice for more filling and to lessen the spice :)

I stumbled onto a "Veg" restaurant when I was there - I was struggling to find my hostel and this nice old lady comes out and offers me help in english. Practically took me to the hostel and said come back for dinner, I asked if she had veg food and she said yes its a veg restaurant! They actually had fish too but all the dishes were based on health issues, like digestion. And had a few veg options. She was really cool and friendly. Even asked me to log onto Happy Cow there and then and leave a comment! hahaha

On the street was lots of candy type stalls too. A few of them were vegan, almost pure sugar.. Some sesame without honey etc..
barnz2k

Previous

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews