Is Svalbard vegan friendly???

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Postby Gelert » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:46 am

I have decided to try the take-everything with me approach - I shall experiment with various things over the winter and spring. Back injury permitting, I am planning to do the Wales four day international walks later this month and that will serve as a good initial trial run.

I am sure Fruitbat would be a fountain of wisdom in helping me design "rations" - and also sending quinoa to Svalbard. As long as she got a cut of the quinoa as commission :wink: :lol:
Gelert

Postby Fruitbat » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:54 am

well my instant quinoa porridge for camping trips was EXCELLENT:

Quinoa flakes
Powdered soy milk
Dry dates
Ground ginger
(other dried fruit, nuts, seeds, spipces?)
all mixed up in a freezer bag and so every morning just tip some out into your bowl.

Add hot water - leave for 60s after stirring in properly - eat.
Fruitbat

Postby bronco » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:00 am

[quote="Gelert"]I have decided to try the take-everything with me approach - I shall experiment with various things over the winter and spring.

Do you really have to bring everything? Certainly there will be things like pasta, rice, potatoes, beans, oatmeal and other basic stuff available ?
[quote="JP"]Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby Gelert » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:39 pm

Gelert

Postby Gelert » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:01 pm

Situation update:

I talked today to a an experienced arctic scientist friend of mine who's lactose intolerant and is sympathetic to vegans. She says she got on OK on the dairy front up in Svalbard.

However, she notes it might be difficult to avoid meat. The meat up there is all game meat, so it is not reared intensively etc, which is marginally less evil in my opinion. The vegetables are actually very expensive.

But still, I am resolute in my plans to be a self-sufficient vegan :D
Gelert

Postby Fruitbat » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:20 pm

ask for a dehydrator for Xmas
Fruitbat

Postby Gelert » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:45 pm

I was going to ask for a winter skills course in the Cairngorms to enhance my outdoors skills, as the university's survival course in Svalbard isn't run in the summer.

But I might push the envelope for a dehydrator - it sounds like a good idea in general...

And of course if I did get one, then Fruitbat would be most welcome to use it whenever she wanted...
Gelert

Previous

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews