South East Australia

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

South East Australia

Postby blinki » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:59 am

I'm currently in Brisbane and will be heading to Melbourne via any/everywhere that takes my fancy. I'm sure I'll acquire a list of the typical tourist traps everywhere I go. So any suggestions of places not likely to be on the lists? And any food that's not to be missed? I'll go particularly far out of my way for good (chocolate) cake.

I'm planning to stay in Melbourne for a while so once I'm there I'll find a decent gym near where I'm staying. In Brisbane and Gold Coast PTC gyms look a good bet. Everywhere in between until Sydney I'll probably not be there long enough for it to be worth finding a gym.I think I'll be in Sydney a few weeks, so will be looking for a central(ish) gym with a worthwhile amount of free weights- if anyone happens to know one that does a reasonable weekly rate to save me some googling.
blinki

Re: South East Australia

Postby JP » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:33 am

damn i miss Lord Of The Fries in melbourne!!! awesome fast food chain.

hardcore IV and Talyn would probably know the names of places there, i went to tons fo great places to eat but cant remember any names, apart from Lord Of The Fries :D How awesome is that name!
JP
Site Admin

Postby blinki » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:11 am

The name alone justifies a visit!

I went to Cake Parlour in Brisbane yesterday, it was 1 in the afternoon and they had sold out of vegan cake :( I ended up at some places round the corner for ice cream that turned out to be sorbet which is good but just not ice cream
blinki

Postby Lordmuppet » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:05 am

A session with Melbourne Vegan Strength is non-optional I think! ;)

Hardcore IV mentioned (I think) that they had started up again.
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby blinki » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:22 am

I didn't think it really existed any more, if they do I will track them down once I get there.
blinki

Postby knackers » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:09 am

MVS has gone underground, prerequisite upon entry is allegiance to PAIN

Let us know when you are down would be good to meet up for a session.
“Animals do have a voice. If you ignore their suffering, I will remind you of it. If you don't understand them, I will translate. If you don't hear them, I will be their voice. You may silence them but you cannot silence me as long as I live.” ~ Anita Mahdessian (C
knackers

Postby tal » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:18 pm

[quote="JP"]hardcore IV and Talyn would probably know the names of places there, i went to tons fo great places to eat but cant remember any names, apart from Lord Of The Fries :D How awesome is that name!

Missed this thread. You'll like Melbourne if you're hungry that's for sure ;)

Lets see, you of course have LOTF which is fucking awesome. It's a vegan macdonalds basically. Except awesome because its not meat. Just make sure you ask for vegan cheese.

If you like Chinese food, there is White Lotus (I think it's still open??!) in Carlton, Englighted Cuisine in South Melbourne and Vegie hut in Box hill.

In Preston there is La Panella bakery which is really cool. It's like a Greggs but vegan (a few things are vegetarian but these are marked). And the food there is so cheap, like $1.70 for a pie.

Brunswick/Fitzroy area is nice there are a bunch of places there. Make sure you go to Yong Green and Coco Loco!

There are lots more but I've forgotten. Ask ^toby^ or Ivan they will know more.
tal

Postby blinki » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:24 am

I stumbled upon a LOTR is Sydney, had a burger and had an allergic reaction to it :( The only allergy I know I have is eggs and I did say vegan, the receipt said vegan but then I have had a mystery allergic reaction to the haggis at Hendersons in Edinburgh before despite it not having any ingredients I think I have an allergy to. Probably shouldn't be eating there again anyway.

Talyan, thanks for the suggestions.

Knackers, I'll let you know when I get to Melbourne, probably not til February.
blinki

Postby Lovely.Rita » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:08 pm

blinki,
I didn't realize you were staying in Australia for a while - please let me know what you find (gym-wise too); I'm most likely headed to Melbourne at the end of February. I'll be there for about 3 weeks.
Lovely.Rita

Postby blinki » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:50 am

I struggled for a gym in Sydney that was decent, within easy reach and had no joining fee so I ended up just joining Anytime Fitness. They seem the best if you are travelling since you get access to all their gyms without an addition charge. Every other big chain seems to have extra charges or limits which ones you can use. But they have a joining fee so probably not a good option for you. In Brisbane I had good luck with asking at hostel front desks if there was a gym near by that do one off entry or weekly passes. So even if not staying in a hostel you could wander into a few near by and ask. But will let you know if I happen to spot a gym and if I have any particularly good food.

Also, Lord of the Fries was on my way home from the pub one night so I ended up with the same burger as last time (cause apparently hunger beats risk of anaphylactic shock when I'm not very sober) but I had no reaction this time which makes me suspect some egg had sneaked in the first one :(
blinki

Postby blinki » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:13 am

[quote="knackers"]MVS has gone underground, prerequisite upon entry is allegiance to PAIN

Let us know when you are down would be good to meet up for a session.

I've wandered my way down to Melbourne now, how is MVS tracked down? I've spent months in Anytime Fitnesses, a little training with people who even just like lifting sounds awesome around now :lol:

[quote="Lovely.Rita"]blinki,
I didn't realize you were staying in Australia for a while - please let me know what you find (gym-wise too); I'm most likely headed to Melbourne at the end of February. I'll be there for about 3 weeks.

So far I've found the best chocolate cake is at Aunt Maggies Organic Groceries in Fitzroy but it doesn't travel well, especially when it's hot, but you can eat it there. I think I spotted one in St Kilda too but don't know if there's cake for sure.
The doughnuts at Crumbs Bakery in North Melbourne are incredible, I ate one then got one to takeaway for the next day but ate it before I got home, but they are very fried which some (strange) people seem to have a problem with.
Lord of the Fries feels a bit like they are everywhere, I spent my first week feeling like I found another every time I turned a corner, if you want something Mc Donalds like then it's awesome (the veggie/guru burger is just mush and the chicken burger is tasteless, unsurprisingly).
Breakfast at Las Vegan in Collingwood is really good though I was disappointed by the size of their 'big breakfast' but people who eat more average sized breakfasts do seem to think it's big.
My Nice Guy Cupcakes are good (not incredible but they do have unicorn flavour which balances it out) though it's not worth going out to their bakery unless you are into sweet pastries because there's central places you can get them, there's a list of stockists on their website.
I love Lentil as Anything, there's a few but I've only been to the Abbotsford one which has lovely gardens to sit out in and eat and there's even a cute donkey and sheep with cool hair (the animals are part of Collingwood Children's Farm which seems at least reasonably ethical). The idea is you eat as much as you want then pay as you feel, meaning people with little money can get a god meal for whatever they can afford. But the queue, especially at dinner, can be pretty long, late lunch seems to be the best to avoid it.
blinki

Postby knackers » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:02 am

sweet as brother!
join this group > https://www.facebook.com/groups/melbourneveganstrength/
and get in touch with everyone there, they will let you know when and where.
I will see you there saturday week, I am away for work at the moment.

P.S - holy shit man, you've been to more vegan food places already than I have in the last year! haha
“Animals do have a voice. If you ignore their suffering, I will remind you of it. If you don't understand them, I will translate. If you don't hear them, I will be their voice. You may silence them but you cannot silence me as long as I live.” ~ Anita Mahdessian (C
knackers

Postby blinki » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:40 am

[quote="knackers"]sweet as brother!
join this group > https://www.facebook.com/groups/melbourneveganstrength/
and get in touch with everyone there, they will let you know when and where.
I will see you there saturday week, I am away for work at the moment.

P.S - holy shit man, you've been to more vegan food places already than I have in the last year! haha

thanks, will do

Eating is one of my favourite things so going to places to eat tends to top my to do list in new places though writing that list made me realise I might eat more crap than I realise
blinki

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews