Edinburgh

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Edinburgh

Postby tal » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:43 am

I'm going to Edinburgh for four days in September with my Dad and need to find some good places to eat.

I know of the legendary baked tattie shop already and did some googling and found Hendersons in New Town, but happycow.net seems to be down and am struggling to find other places.

I need recommendations please! Staying in the Haymarket area.
tal

Re: Edinburgh

Postby Lordmuppet » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:56 am

Outstanding! I live there. Best thing to do is join this facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/VeganEdinburghGlasgow/ In the documents bit at the top of the group. They've got a list of places including meaty places that are vegan friendly. Henderson's is really not that popular in the vegan community here. They are very ovo-lacto heavy and the food that they do have is just not that good. That said I will tend to pop in there if I'm passing and need tofu (they sell the expensive but brilliant 'engine shed tofu') or some other quick snack. They do have vegan cakes and such but have always been disappointed with them. The Tattie Shop is by far the best for vegan cakes (odd given it's baked potatoe shop). Worth noting there are two Henderson's. One is underneath a church on the corner of Lothian road and princess street.

You may be a bit short on options in Haymarket though the only purely vegan place is there The Orb which is run by some hippies.

p.s. if you fancy a bit of training in my garage gym The Silvermill let me know and we'll talk dates/times (fully kitted out now with power rack, olympic rings, 4 olympic dumbells, 400kg of weight, two long bars (one if 5 ft), bench, spare squat rack and more! :) I can DM you the address, I'm in city centre.

edited to add: this is also useful http://www.crueltyfree.org.uk/edinburgh/
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby tal » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:32 am

[quote="Lordmuppet"]Outstanding! I live there. Best thing to do is join this facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/VeganEdinburghGlasgow/ In the documents bit at the top of the group. They've got a list of places including meaty places that are vegan friendly. Henderson's is really not that popular in the vegan community here. They are very ovo-lacto heavy and the food that they do have is just not that good. That said I will tend to pop in there if I'm passing and need tofu (they sell the expensive but brilliant 'engine shed tofu') or some other quick snack. They do have vegan cakes and such but have always been disappointed with them. The Tattie Shop is by far the best for vegan cakes (odd given it's baked potatoe shop). Worth noting there are two Henderson's. One is underneath a church on the corner of Lothian road and princess street.

You may be a bit short on options in Haymarket though the only purely vegan place is there The Orb which is run by some hippies.

p.s. if you fancy a bit of training in my garage gym The Silvermill let me know and we'll talk dates/times (fully kitted out now with power rack, olympic rings, 4 olympic dumbells, 400kg of weight, two long bars (one if 5 ft), bench, spare squat rack and more! :) I can DM you the address, I'm in city centre.

edited to add: this is also useful http://www.crueltyfree.org.uk/edinburgh/

For some reason I thought you lived in Glasgow. Not sure why.

Thanks for that. I might be up for a training session. PM me your details and I'll get in touch, even if just to get baked potatoes and vegan haggis.
tal

Postby blinki » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:38 pm

I not big on Henderson's either. It's alright but it's very meh. It's sort of vegetarian food 80s style, the nicest thing I could say about their food is its homely. ORB is good of you like raw food and aren't on a budget and don't mind the hippyness.

For cake and the best chocolate sorbet in the world ever then the Chocolate Tree in Bruntsfeild is awesome. Kaplna (I think that's what it's called, veggie Indian on Clerk street) does a good buffet all you can eat lunch and a good vegan thali (if that's what they are called- lots of little bits of different dishes). Check if there's a vegan dinner on at the Point Hotel, they are only monthly but if you are around for one then it'd be madness to miss it. I've not been recently but the Auld Hoose now does nachos with vegan cheese and stuff like that which is good if you are more looking for a snack with a beer. Best falafel is from Palmyra on Nicolson Street.
blinki

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews