Berlin

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Re: Berlin

Postby mo! » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:47 pm

Besides having eaten an exquisite piece of "snickers" cake and a falafelish wrap thingy at Yoyos on the Gärtnerstraße (amazingly delicious as usual), ImageImage

i got some art work on the flea market today. Walls are too white, so i finally got some cool shit ;) ...There are two guys (one is dutch and on is american, i think) who had teamed up and opened a gallery called Zozoville http://www.zozoville.com/ in Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg a while ago. They also sell their stuff on the Boxhagener flea market every Sunday. So i finally got two really cool prints. Right next to them on the market there is another more serious artist selling prints. http://www.rostgraphics.com/ Also got two of his. :mrgreen: ...When you buy something directly from the person who made it it really feels kinda awesome :) ...

ImageImage
mo!

Postby mo! » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:01 pm

Today was the foody Sunday that makes my vegan world go round (I was just a skinny lad never knew no good from bad.....lalala ;) )

Anyhow....I finally ate Spätzle, a German national food thingy, at Yoyos foodworld on the Gärtnerstraße. And i was a little well...disappointed. It was meh, but okay, i guess. Maybe my expectations had been too high. Also its a real cheesy thing, so that was maybe a handicap as well. But it was a damn lot and a cute little piece of tiramisu afterwards made me wanna rest for the next two hours before i start to work out ;) ....

Then a few days back i had been to some graveyard (Ecke Greifswalderstraße/Prenzlauer Berg) while strolling through Prenzlauer Berg (glimpsing at THE software start-up stuff area in Berlin at Prenzlauer Allee). And its so weird and funny. You enter and on the map its not that big, but when youre on it it becomes some kinda wonderland/mystery area with trees and fucking old Grave yard stones and the further you get in the more fantastic it feels and the less the graves are taken care of till you reach that area where nature took over. It goes way back in the 18th century. .....Hard to describe the atmosphere. Not sad or griefy. I really recommend visiting. Never been to such a graveyard. :lol: Sounds weird, but its so mind blowing in a way when youre in such a big city with houses, cars and trams everywhere, tonns of people and than you can get lost in a graveyard like that. So peaceful.

ImageImageImage
mo!

Postby mo! » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:25 pm

I dont know how famous the Berghain at the "Am Wriezener Bahnhof" is in general, but in Germany and probably for a certain party crowd its well known. Its such a cool building. Could use a bit love, but eh...its for drunk, vomitting party people who fuck in the cellar ;) ...(that packaging is laying there at this very moment ;) ) ....Its really easy to reach (Warschauer Station), but i guess its really gambling to get in or not. Tourists not too welcome, moms and probably people with the wrong attitude. What ever that would be. But people with love for some tech house etc. can have a nice time in there. So they say ^^ ...

Image]ImageImageImageImage
mo!

Postby JP » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:22 am

i've been to berghain a few times, its an experience for sure!

people never seem to vomit though, i guess because they are more high on drugs than drunk :)

and the fucking doesnt only happen in the cellar :D

but those details aside, it is one of the most infamous/famous/well known techno clubs in the world. Getting inside is not as hard, but groups of men - forget it. Drunk - forget it. Someone in high heels - unlikely (high heels dont make good all night dancing shoes). People there are all ages, sizes and looks so i guess its a bit of a random who gets in and who doesnt, but as long as you look like you are out to have a good time it seems to be ok. The gamble sucks though.
JP
Site Admin

Postby mo! » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:44 pm

So i finally made it to "Unterwelten" at Brunnenstraße. My parents are in town, so we did some touristic stuff including that. And it was amazing. That lady who gave the 90min. tour was a walking history book. Major cool. The tour was called "Dunkle Welten" and took place beneath a train station. And it was basically showing how people had to live through the bombardements. And the last 2 weeks before WW2 ended. And damn...you get goose bumps. Makes it so much more real. Hm....Also they got a lot of thingys people owned and had to have in that time. Very A LOT of interesting stuff. I think i saw a condom in a metal box between the stuff. But maybe it was something different....................anyways. The only thing that sucks about the whole thing is, that it is held in German. :? ....So you should understand a big deal of it to get all the very cool information. Im not exaggerating...this woman gave me the best tour i ever had in a historical building...not boring, not too long, just right. :) ...
So...if youre capable of this lovely little language: Go there. 10 bucks and a different view on war time.

8)
mo!

Postby mo! » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:06 am

One thing about Christmas time in Berlin normal vegan people will get disgusted by: Fucking horse carriages. -____- ....yesterday i saw like 7-10 waiting ones infront of the Brandenburg gate. -___- ....i get so angry about that. Than while strolling that area you see how they have to deal with massive traffic situations. -___- ....just...ARGH! ...and my mom (who normally never says stuff like that) was like: "Theyre animals for production" (dont know if its the right term) like "for use"...and i verbally killed her. :lol: ...its funny how small 1,81m people can appear after i talked to them with my grown up/teacher voice :D
mo!

Postby mo! » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:55 am

Another thing for Christmas time in Berlin: :mrgreen:

Just went through my picture files. Looks like i never made a shot of the "Kulturbrauerei" :shock: ...weird. Been there quite some times. Its at Schönhauserallee, Prenzlauer Berg. Theres a music store, clubs and other stuff. And in Christmas time they got a rather Norwegian/Swedish/Finnish themed Christmas market in the centre of the buildings. Went there on Saturday and they played some young boy singing northern Christmas music (i guess), which was really a bit hypnotizing in a way....Szenery and music really fit together....so deer-meat stuff and Glöki, or whatever just seemed a bit romantic. (ofc i get disgust, but i cant deny the romantic aspect)

So...the market is normally from about 26th November till Christmas or a few days after Christmas. To me its the nicest one in Berlin. The others are a bit...well...loud or shabby. ;) ...

Image Image
mo!

Postby Koa » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:44 am

Enjoying this thread.

Haven't been to Berlin in more than 20 years. We will have to plan in a trip may be next year!
Squat - 170kg
DL - 200kg
BP - 110kg
OHP - 75kg

"How can you run when you know" -Neil Young
Koa

Postby mo! » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:39 am

maybe in summer, when the Vegan festival takes place. I really hope to make it this year as well :) ...
Imo Berlin is best between Mai and October. People are just happier and more out and about....you really feel how the mood drops in late fall/winter. Theyre addicted to go to parks or sit in cafés front row....its just not the same in winter :lol: ....
mo!

Postby mo! » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:58 am

Since ive been on the "lets vomit till you die"-fraction the New Years Eve time, my New Years was kinda not so cool/lame. But last year -first time in Berlin- i, of course, went to the Brandenburg Gate to have that experience of "Silvester in Berlin!" ;) ....I guess a lot of people have that. ONCE. ;)
So this is the deal: The street where the biggest party in the world takes place is located on "the other side" of the Gate" and is called "Straße des 17. Junis". And ive tried, God, i did try to go anywhere near the gate, but no. In front of the stage where music acts etc. do their thing are so many people you really can get trouble breathing. Also you can get trouble! :shock: ....We´ve been there for not sooo very long, but we saw three fights-in-the-beginning-phase. I dont wanna be a dick, but they were all British guys :lol: ...anyways. So there are tonns of food stands guardings tonns of people on that street. On the "Unter den Linden" side of the gate there is basically nothing. But also people ofc. It looks like this:

And it feels like this. (fireworks in Berlin SUCK big time) :| ....After a while the police locks parts down, so no one can get in (but out ofc). Same thing for entries of the party zone (if you wanna be front row you got to get there in the morning or so). The highlight of that night was an Italian family being soooo happy when it was 0.00 and i dont kow how to say it...it just made me happy to see them. ;) ...
To me its the best night in year, because it seems like everybody is happy. Maybe not HAPPY, but...happy somehow....its like peace anywhere for a second or two. ;)

But next time i wanna do Friedrichshain, like i planned this time 8) ...if i dont get any other neat inspiration/advice...HINT!.... )
mo!

Postby JP » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:09 pm

fireworks in brandenburg and posh areas in berlin may suck, go east or neukoln and they are fucking mental!!!
JP
Site Admin

Postby mo! » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:13 am

:lol: ....i bet. I wouldnt dare going beneath the Spree ;) ....I imagine it to be some sort of war zone. Apeish tipsy kids trhowing fireworks at every moving thing and such. :wink:
I meant the Brandenburger Tor. (its gate in English the world says) So...that is the posh aerea in a way and it should have an impressing coordinated firework. But it doesnt. Its not London, or so. All other fireworks in Berlin wouldnt have cool and big choregraphy either if THE spot to be doesnt, would it?!
But i guess the party aspect and so is more dancy and stuff (edgy/cool/so down to earth you wanna leave :roll: ) in Fhain and Neukölln etc. But just one way to find out, eh?!
mo!

Postby hakko » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:52 pm

Maybe another reason to visit Berlin? (it's in German so I've only read the Google translated version though)

http://www.sportartproject.de/vegan-extreme/
hakko

Postby JP » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:43 pm

johanna, of the vegan rugby fame, is coming over to that too this weekend :)
JP
Site Admin

Postby mo! » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:21 pm

I heard there was a new (in construction) vegan gym in town :mrgreen: ....i wonder if anyone got some pics :D
mo!

PreviousNext

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews