Berlin

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Re: Berlin

Postby mo! » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:54 pm

So....flea market sunday evolved to fast food and bad coffee sunday ;) ...Hitting back to my car, staying strong-not eating since not many calories for the day- i walked past a "dirty hippie" café which turned out to be the kinda famous Yoyo Foodworld. Its a completely vegan fast food restaurant on the Gärtnerstraße in Friedrichshain. The staff is a bit...well...feministic-heavy tattooed-bad mood-girly folks, but the food is reeeaaaaaaally awesome and you get it rather fast :) ....Ive had a cheesburger with Daiya Cheese (not as good as i thought-Wilmersburger Cheese is way better) and a Tiramisu which was mind blowing good. (i dont remember the real thing being much different). When i tried making Tiramisu it was really a sad fuck compared to this DELICIOUSNESS!...so i hope i made myself clear, that tiramisu is THE BEST! :shock: :roll: :lol: 8) ...The burger got a Viana patty, i think. Theyd the cartonage of Viana standing around, so i concluded. It was a good burger. Best i ever had, but im not really a burger person ;) ...
They got no clue about coffee/Espresso etc. though ;) ...but that seems quite common in Berlin. ("Espresso Room" on the Hufelandstraße 3 in Prenzlauer Berg got the best coffee we found so far....*fun fact*)
The location is rather...well...like i said "dirty hippie" with a lot of political angry girl vibes in it. The decoration and the attitude are expressing it quite directly. But its at the same time relaxed and the clientel is mixed from business person to ...dirty hippie...im saying that description too often ;) ... Anyways....its definitely a good fast food restaurant and im curious about the other stuff on the menu. They got cheese SPÄTZLE!!!! ;) . For those who are not familiar with German culture. There are a couple menus that ARE german. And Spätzle is one of them. And since i grew up in a culinaric shoe box, ive never eaten it :shock: ....now i can. *yay*
Ok. Im blabby. Enough.

ImageImage
mo!

Postby mo! » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:30 am

Ive been to the Bernauerstraße several times. Its basically "just" a street thats part of a circle around the middle of Berlin and you drive it a lot. But its not just a street. Its where the wall ran through and they kept that place a memorial. And its funny -i get such intense goose bumps. Decisions of men have such an impact. And theyre so often not chosen wisely, but greedy/dumb/hateful/ruthless.... Berlin is probably the place which is standing for cold war most. And hell, you feel it in certain places. You really do. :?
ImageImage
mo!

Postby mo! » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:04 am

Cool thing is, that you see a bit of something you didnt expect at any places. Sometimes its really like living under a huge Christmas tree. Gifts that make you smile just around the corner ;) ...

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PS: sorry about the spamming :oops: ....too much Energy drink too late at night....-__-
mo!

Postby loveliberate » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:21 pm

Taint spam - it's great stuff! More please!! :D
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby mo! » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:26 am

Not too tainted, but intense....the "Messe Berlin" with the Funkturm. Its located in Charlottenburg. Its quite an areal and when there is no exposition it best to park at Masurenallee. There is U- and S-Bahn really near by as well. To me its quite a trip cause its on the other side of the city. In West-Berlin. And its so funny....its really "west"... like what i know from when i grew up. But that Messe areal is sooooooo 20s and also 50s-futuristic, its insane! And some areas in the buildings really smell like some old part of the (18something) school i went to ;) ...Reaaaally worth a stop by.(for those who love architecture its a MUST!)
That day i could only go 1/3 way up the Funkturm cause of the weather (which was perfectly fine, but the sign still said so :? ) ....There is a fancy restaurant on that 1/3 way so i didnt stay too long and went down again.(dont worry there is a l ift ;) ) But already on that height you got quite a view over the city. Some time im gonna go all the way up! :) ....
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
mo!

Postby mo! » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:02 am

For a few months i know about "Unterwelten" in Berlin. Check it out: http://berliner-unterwelten.de/fuehrungen.3.0.html

You basically have a sightseeing tour beneath the streets. And im planning on doing one tour next week when i find a little time -__- .... You cant take pics down there, but im sure what you see will stick to your brain. Just imagining the atmosphere gives me goose bumps. All that history conserved at 10°C ;) ...The tours start at Brunnenstraße in Wedding. There is a U-Bahn station called "Gesundbrunnen" right there. Its located at Volkspark Humboldthain...which is a big park :roll: .... Its 10 bucks for a 90min. tour. Make sure you check out the times they start. Its a bit "tricky"....

:mrgreen:
mo!

Postby loveliberate » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:56 pm

Very cool! Please let us know what you think of it. We have underground tours here in Portland & in other Cascadian cities too, though I've never checked any out.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby mo! » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:47 am

Ah, didnt make it there yet. Kinda really busy. But yesterday evening after training i went to the movies at a real cool theatre. Its called "Collosseum" is an UCI and its located at Schönhauserallee 123 . I happened to go there to the 22:45 screenings so far which means its really empty and relaxed. ( i hate full movie theatres ;)) ....
The atmosphere in there is the coolest ive seen in Germany so far. Its old school. And the screening room had shitty seats and it awefully smelled like feet ;) . But i guess it comes with old school. ;) ...
ImageImage
mo!

Postby baldy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:42 pm

What they say is true, Berlin is amazing, perhaps Vegan capital of Europe?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby mo! » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:38 am

Thaaaaaaaat looks like it was supposed to be for me!!!! :shock: ....;)

Anyways....got a bit of culture for you folks...So, there are, ofc, tonns of galeries and stuff around. The very hipster stuff is at Torstraße. Mainly between Rosenthaler Platz and Schönhauserallee, Id say. When you walk there in the evening quite often a mob is standing infront of those houses, sipping some sparkling wine or beer, celebrating its greatness and talking about the meaning of bullshit. So if you like to join, there they are in that area of Berlin.
But there are some galeries just like freckles spread over the city. No mobs, sometimes good art. I got such a tiny thingy around the corner. I walk past there when i go for groceries late in the evening. They change the exhibitions like underwear and these days they got quite an artist. Decent shit, Id say ^^ ....But the point is...if you like art and youve seen van Gogh as often as your grandma, those small galeries are really fun, like a snack ;) . And mostly you dont have to pay anything. Thats the case at Pleiku as well. Just got to keep an eye open. 8)

Image,Image
mo!

Postby tal » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:04 am

[quote="baldy"]Image

That reminds me so much of this. But the vegan powerlifter version.
tal

Postby mo! » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:12 am

[quote="Talyn"][quote="baldy"]Image

That reminds me so much of this. But the vegan powerlifter version.

Oh....Powerlifter? ...How come that one dude got chicken legs?! :shock: .... :wink:
mo!

Postby mo! » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:06 am

Yesterday while strolling through the city i found "Rosenhöfe" again. Rosenhöfe are located near Hackescher Markt. A nice Art Nouveau sign above the gate invites you in. Höfe means yard in a way. But its not green, but basically a narrow street between houses, sort of an alley. ;) ....in this Hof there is a small cinema with indi movie shit, cafés with people who look like they want to be looked at sitting in those cafés and an AWESOME comic store! :mrgreen: ...they got a lot to browse. There are tonns of spraying and stuff on the house walls and a bit of artsy metal. When i walked in there it was late and the comic store was already closed, a group of spanish tourists kinda invaded, so i just left quickly, but happy i found the Rosenhöfe again ;) ....Its worth a small stop by when youre in that area anyways :)

ImageImageImage
mo!

Postby mo! » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:17 am

Im a bit excited since another store in Berlin is selling my clothes. So i thought maybe i review a couple of clothing stores/possibilites around which are worth a visit :) ....

So...first there are flea markets at Mauerpark and Boxhagenerplatz with a lot of clothes. Obviously second hand fashion which is SUCH A THING in Berlin ;) ....Also there is "Humana" a big second hand department store chain which appears like a usual store a couple of times in Berlin. http://www.humana-second-hand.de/mode/first-class.html

Then you got little stores that are "made in Berlin"...some dont even have a name ;) ...(its a Kreuzberg thing :roll: ) ....you find them in Kreuzberg here and there. (im not too familiar in that area and the streets i researched to be "the shopping" streets kinda evolved to be food streets mostly) On Zossenerstraße, Wrangelstraße and Oranienstraße you find a few stores mostly as far as i know.

In Friedrichshain you have quite a lot in the heart between Warschauerstraße/Boxhagenerstraße/Revalerstraße . Made in Berlin, but also mixed Labels...One little store is called "Lebensfluss" (Boxhagenerstraße 13) and its an eco store with a really kind owner. They got from paint to beds to fashion anything in eco quality. Even the wonderful clothes from WarglBlarg! 8)

In Mitte there is the Münzstraße/Weinmeisterstraße that got the high price fashion stores. A lot of hipster-anything is possible-stores. Big brands boutiques (Levis, Converse, etc.)
Also there is Burg&Schild http://burgundschild.com/ ...in that area (next to Dolores burritos ;) on Rosa-Luxemburg-Straße) that have an amazing Selvage selection. And they offer you whiskey while you browse their stuff ;) ...Its really a "friend-treatment" in there (not snobbish at all)..so theyre really nice and cool people who keep it real about their passion. Its the place to go for Sevage Denim and insanely well made shoes which cost a fortune and arent sligthly vegan :mrgreen: (in a few months they might even have my denim hanging in there :) )
BFN Pop Shop on Weinmeisterstraße shall also be named since theyre the latest member of shops selling WarglBlarg! clothes ;) ...They got a variety of shirts and Berlin made fashion. Its their thing to sell stuff made in Berlin.
And ofc there is the Friedrichstraße. Make sure you visit the Quartier 206. http://www.quartier206.com/ ...just because of the architecture ^^ ....besides that its just an ordinary big city shopping street with the stores you expect.

In Charlottenburg (i think it is) there is the KaDeWe at Tauentzieherstraße...its the most popular old school shopping department in Germany and the biggest in continental Europe! It got extremely high price stuff and luxury things. Its just worth a visit for its flair and architecture ;) ...Plus the Christmastree in Wintertime :wink:

Besides that i have no clue about clothing stores in Berlin. It seems that one is either east or west in Berlin. And i happen to be east so i know more about Prenzlauer Berg (which got a few clothing stores, but theyre not really worth a visit i think), Friedrichshain and Mitte. ;)

If anyone finds something interesting post it, please!!!
Last edited by mo! on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mo!

Postby mo! » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:46 pm

Strawberry/poppy seed frozen yoghurt from Veganz/Goodies, Warschauerstraße :mrgreen: ....was alright, but wouldnt buy it a second time. Next time i might try chocolate/banana soft ice (but the banana with chocolate kinda sounds gross :? ) ....why not vanille dipped in liquid chocolate?!?!?! :shock: ...that would be pretty awesome ;)

mo!

PreviousNext

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews