Holidays

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Holidays

Postby JS » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:58 pm

Hi All....being a singleton and having mates that are all attached I find I end up taking the bulk of my holidays alone at home or visiting familys/friends in the UK and not seeing much of the world...this is mainly because I'm a little anxious to go off on my own (maybe thats just me and the rest of you jet off alone to all sorts of places) and tbh there is something nicer about sharing the experience of new things with others and I feel more relaxed if something did go wrong that I have someone with me.

I am thinking maybe a group holiday of some sort? Can anyone recommend a holiday company they have travelled with? I'm UK based. I see some trekking hols or such like and you see the line special diets not guaranteed and the single supplement etc. which puts me off somewhat. So I guess a company that's geared towards single vegan travellers :)

I have seen the usual veggieventures etc but would like to know if anyone has travelled with them and what there experience was?
JS

Re: Holidays

Postby baldy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:25 pm

Vegan Fitness Week?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby JS » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:58 pm

yeah I did vegan fitness last year in Italy it was great fun :) not too sure I have it in me to organise one myself just now :)
JS

Postby loveliberate » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:23 pm

JS & All,

I am in a similar situation and definitely appreciate having travel buddies, hosts and/or folks to visit with in the places I go. Hanging out and exploring Minneapolis with Adena (another VF forum member) was definitely a highlight of my recent trip to the Midwestern US for example. I hope to hang out with and travel around with more VF folks in the future. A great (and free!) tool for meeting up with cool folks worldwide is http://www.couchsurfing.org - there are Vegan specific groups on there, including a VF one.

All VF and other cool folks are very welcome to come visit me here in Portland (Oregon, usa). With enough notice I am happy to join folks in exploring not only Portland but other places around the NW US and Canadian SW. Most of North America's most vegan-friendly cities (Portland, Eugene, Seattle, Vancouver & Victoria) are in this region and there is tons of great nature here too! On top of that, our local & regional public transit options are extensive and inexpensive - particularly between the main vegan hotspots. So what are y'all waiting for? :)

While I am not up for being a primary VFW organizer, I'd be glad to help someone else who wanted to put together something out this way.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby blinki » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:30 pm

couch surfing seconded. It's a bit less off into the unknown. I've only ever hosted but if you write a good message requesting to say I suspect you should find someone to stay with.

ETA: didn't know there was a VF group! off to find it now
blinki

Postby JS » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:48 am

Couch surfing......hmm I might have to be brave and look into that :)

Loveliberate - I have to go look up Portland! Tsk tsk I know my Geography is terrible esp if I haven't been there! I seen a bit of the states already and love the scenery so I will go and investigate it more :) It's nice to know you up for a bit of travel....I have always wanted to go to Seattle for some reason...maybe too much Nirvana listening and then Grey's Anatomy watching :)

Also maybe we should look at doing a VF in Portland.....Hmm...wait have to just stop there as new job...very stressful...enough on my plate...got to learn to say no for now....ha ha :)

I need to go do some reading and then toughen up my little worry wart that puts me off doing lots of things..I've an imagination that runs riot left to it's own devices...life is supposed to be enjoyable right? :)
JS

Postby baldy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:26 am

Just go for it :) I have had some amazing trips visiting folks from VF and had loads come to visit me.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby loveliberate » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:58 pm

JS,

You can start slow & just go out for meet-up's. There is no obligation to host, etc. Portland is on the Pacific side, an hour in from the coast and roughly midway between San Francisco and Vancouver Canada. 3-ish hours south of Seattle. Seattle is quite nice though honestly you can find most everything cool about it better & cheaper in Portland - or better & pricier in Vancouver. ;) I'd love to see & *help* organize a VFW somewhere out here!
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby Lordmuppet » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:40 pm

Portland is a damn good city. Tons of vegan stuff I think too.
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews