Vegan troughing double-whammy in Ashton-Under-Lyne

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Vegan troughing double-whammy in Ashton-Under-Lyne

Postby Hiking Fox » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:04 pm

So ...I've been doing volunteering work for the mental health charity that runs Topaz Wellbeing centre in Ashton-Under-Lyne (see wot I did, there?) and this granted me a free meal in their Topaz vegetarian cafe, so I took advantage.

About half the menu was vegan and it looked pretty tasty. I eschewed my usual choice (vegan sausage butty with red onion chutney) and opted for a main meal of pan-fried olive and butternut squash polenta, with sweet potato mash and smoky tomato sauce. I wasn't feeling greedy, but they had coconut and lime cheesecake on the menu with a big fat V next to it, so I ate that as well, washed down with apple and ginger juice.

Then I popped (waddled really, I was stuffed) round the corner to ASM vegetarian cash 'n' carry for some groceries and decided I might as well get a takeaway to eat later. So I loaded up on spring onion masala dosas with coconut chutney, plus a box of vegan Indian sweets, including some pistachio ones with rose water and edible foil.

I do not know of any vegans who live in Ashton Under Lyne, yet it is bloody brilliant for vegan food; much better than anywhere else in the Greater Manchester area.

I just wanted to give a heads up to these justifiably popular places.
Hiking Fox

Re: Vegan troughing double-whammy in Ashton-Under-Lyne

Postby spike » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:02 pm

Topaz and Lilly's are great.

One question though; are you sure the sweets were vegan? I've asked about them before and was told that only one of them was vegan (the one that looked least interesting!).

Lilly's also do an "omelette", made mostly from gram flour. I tried it for the novelty and it was nice but their curries etc are delicious so will probably not order it again.
spike

Postby Hiking Fox » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:59 am

The lozenge-shaped ones that are green with silver foil on are definitely (according to the big guy who talks like Lois Armstrong) vegan. Availability of other types varies a lot, and some of the staff haven't a clue, so you have to ask one of the owners. To be honest, the silver foil ones are the only ones I really like anyway.
Hiking Fox

Postby JP » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:29 am

i miss ashton!

not only because Lilys, but also my old gym/second home :(
JP
Site Admin

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:11 pm

Lily's have expanded their menu, recently. Still shit for drinks, though. I mean, Tango and Cola? Seriously?
Hiking Fox

Postby rattus » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:12 am

[quote="Hiking Fox"]Ashton-Under-Lyne (see wot I did, there?)

-------
Ashton
rattus

Postby Hiking Fox » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:33 am

Yeah, that as well.
Hiking Fox

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews