Montreal

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Montreal

Postby fist of doom » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:46 pm

i'm tentatively planning on spending a long weekend in Montreal in late spring. While there, I'd like to do some mtn biking (XC or DH), gain absurd amounts of weight from overeating, avoid sobriety and stay away from touristy stuff as much as possible.

What should i put on my short list of places to visit?
Where's the good food at?
Bars, breweries?
Galleries or museums of note?
is it advisable to drive, or stick to public transportation?
Where are the good trails?
Tips, pointers?

thanks
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." -Charles Bukowski
fist of doom

Re: Montreal

Postby loveliberate » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:28 pm

I went up to Montreal towards the end of May a couple of years back & had a great time. Other than the fact that it's the second largest predominately french speaking city in the world, after Paris & quite multicultural generally - no one single thing really jumped out at me but I simply found the city quite enjoyable overall. You will likely enjoy the city more if you speak Francais - or at least make the effort to learn a few basic words & phrases. I definitely suggest visiting if you can!

There are a good number of vegan & vegan-friendly places around. Check out: www.happycow.net/north_america/canada/quebec/montreal/ Aux Vivres seems to be the mot popular vegan place. I mostly ate with the folks I was staying with & cheap falafels!

My visit was centered around trying to be a temporary local & I generally shunned "attractions" in favor of wandering about the city trying to get a sense of what it would be like to live there. I particularly enjoyed included hiking up to the top of Parc du Mont-Royal, walking around Boulevard Saint-Laurent + the area between there & Rue Saint Denis. Vieux Montreal, the oldest part of the city is down by the river & also neat, if you do your best to ignore the touristic focus. Marche Jean-Talon is a neat open air produce market surrounded by small shop, worth a visit in itself plus you can then wander around the surrounding neighborhood of Petit Italie.

My personal favorite place to people watch was the extremely multi-cultural & working class neighborhood of Parc-Extension. Also, while there are tons of nice little markets around Montreal but I found the best prices & selection of many vegan products at the Loblaws chain supermarket just next to the Station Parc metro stop in Parc-Extension. I think this is also the first stop for the longer distance commuter trains heading out of the city towards the Laurentian Mountains & the Parc du Mont-Treblant provincial park.

Personally, I suggest sticking with public transportation & walking for the city itself. If you go further afield than a car would likely be handy though you can take Amtrak or Greyhound to Montreal from the states & once up there you can take Via Rail, do ride shares &/or use the regional trains & buses to get around too.

I hope this helps! Please share pictures & stories if you do go! :D
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.corneredcat.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Re: Montreal

Postby lobsteriffic » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:19 pm

I don't know if this is too late, but if you go to Aux Vivres (and you definitely should) get the BLT with the coconut bacon. The bacon is unbelievably delicious.
lobsteriffic

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews