Vegan Oxford

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Vegan Oxford

Postby emm7 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:25 pm

Can anyone recommend places to get good vegan food in Oxford?
Also is there anywhere which does vegan breakfasts or brunches?
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby xzebrasx » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:30 pm

I thought you weren't interested in "good" food, just the stuff that tastes nice and doesn't mess up your mood and/or body in the short term :D
xzebrasx

Postby Rochellita » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:09 pm

My favourite place, when I lived in Oxford, was the Pink Giraffe http://www.thepinkgiraffe.com/menus/ if you have a good appetite the All You Can Eat menu is amazing! It is not a vegetarian place but all the non-vegan dishes are clearly marked. It's located fairly centrally on St Clements Street

There used to be a great Lebanese place called Du Liban which has now closed, but there's another excellent one called Al Shami http://www.al-shami.co.uk/ which caters well for vegans and I had quite a few work lunches there, it's really close to the main campus, just behind Oxford University Press.

Not sure we'd you get a breakfast or lunch but there's a good little health food shop at 48 Cowley Rd (close o Pink Giraffe) called Uhuru Wholefoods where you could pick up some snacks.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby emm7 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:37 am

cheers flux!
xzebrasx by good, I meant tasty, and not involving iceberg lettuce or a cold jacket potato! :lol: You're right in assuming that I didn't mean "rabbit food"!
emm7

Postby draco880 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:59 pm

I'm in Oxford for a month now; anyone want to update the list? The Pink Giraffe is still here, incidentally.
draco880

Postby emm7 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:04 am

I went to the Nosebag veggie/vegan canteen in Oxford once years ago but am not sure if it's still there? flux, is it still open?
emm7

Postby Gastroplodder » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:50 pm

The Garden veggie restaurant (pub) in Jericho, Oxford does a variety of vegan dishes.

It has an all veggie menu where a 'V' means vegan. Not at all flash or expensive but does some good' tasty meals.

http://www.thegarden-oxford.co.uk/ourmenu.php

Sorry - bit late if you were only in Oxford for the month :(
Gastroplodder

Postby Gastroplodder » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:02 pm

And yes the Nosebag is still there and can usually feed a vegan if you ask what's ok. As .flux says Uhuru on the bottom of the Cowley Road is good, mainly right-on groceries but they often have homemade pasties and curried beanpot type takeaway lunches etc marked as vegan. Further up the Cowley Road is Magdelen Road where the Magic Cafe can be found which can feed a Vegan.

Then there's always the Vegan option Sweetpotato curry at pub chain Wetherspoons in the city center or at Cowley Centre which I rather like.
Gastroplodder

Re: Vegan Oxford

Postby penguin » Mon May 09, 2011 10:39 am

spending few days in oxford in the end of may, any new restaurants to recommend? The pink giraffes website doesn't work anymore, restaurant closed? The garden's website seems to be in order.
my body is not a temple, it's an amusement park
penguin

Postby Gastroplodder » Mon May 09, 2011 11:01 am

penguin wrote:spending few days in oxford in the end of may, any new restaurants to recommend? The pink giraffes website doesn't work anymore, restaurant closed? The garden's website seems to be in order.

The Pink Giraffe's website is often cranky, pretty certain the restaurant itself is still there as we had a take away just a few weeks back. It's well worth a visit, particularly if you like rich tastes and vegan mock meat. Either book or get there early for a table as it's deservedly popular.

The Garden is good as ever, comfy pub environment with various not posh vegan options.

Nowhere new I know of though :(

The Royal Blenheim in the middle of town does claim to do vegan food as well as veggie. I had a fall out with them as there menu is laughably unclear, I think their hearts in the right place though.
Probably the fastest vegan elf at Abingdon parkrun

http://gastroplodder.vegebear.com/blog
Gastroplodder

Postby penguin » Mon May 09, 2011 11:47 am

^ thanks!
my body is not a temple, it's an amusement park
penguin

Postby Talyn » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:13 am

I'm going to Oxford in November, so this thread is a great help.

Does anyone know a good vegetarian/vegan b&b in the area?
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby veganlifter » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:01 pm

I lived in Oxford for 10 years when I was a student. There is a Chinese place in Headington (London road) called the Hang Chow Chinese Restaurant. It is not vegan although they have quite a selection of mock veggie meat (duck, chicken) etc. Just tell them you are vegan and they will make sure everything is ok. They are quite flexible and will adapt any of the veggie or non veggie stuff so it is vegan. This is by far my favourite place to eat. There is also another Chinese place in Summertown on South Parade called the Hong Kong house. I have not been there for a while but they do spicy Tofu and other veggie or vegan stuff for a few quid. This is more of a cheap takeaway type place whereas the Hang Chow is a restaurant.

If anyone needs a gym while in Oxford the best place to go to Oxford Brookes university gym (London Road, Headington). It is open from 7:30am - 10:30pm most days. It costs £4 to go into the dedicated weights room (make sure you pay to go into the weights room and not the general gym) They have an Olympic lifting area etc and it is the best free weights non members place in Oxford. For people into other sports they also have an excellent climbing wall, badminton courts, all weather football pitch etc.
veganlifter

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews