Favourite restaurant in New York?

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Favourite restaurant in New York?

Postby Dawn » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:32 pm

Me and my boyfriend are going to be in New York for 2 weeks from this Friday. I've got the New York Vegan Guide and have looked at Happycow.net (such a fab website) but you're spoilt for choice in New York there's so many places! Not complaining but not used to this and so would love to get some personal recommendations about where to eat? He's getting a bit into raw food so any suggestions on that? But I love anything that is vegan so if you've got a fave restaurant and what's the best thing to eat there we may be following in your footsteps!
Dawn
Dawn

Re: Favourite restaurant in New York?

Postby fredrikw » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:47 pm

Ah, you're lucky :)

For breakfast the choices are quite slim, s'nice is a great place to get a bagel with tofu cream cheese or granola with soy yoghurt. They have one restaurant on Manhattan and one i Brooklyn.

Candle79 is a must, pricey but well worth every cent. Same thing with with Blossom. Wild Ginger have a great selection of all kinds of vegan food.

Lula's Sweet Apothecary for home made ice cream and soft serve ice cream, if you go there say hi from the Swedish couple 8)

Of course Baby Cakes for a large selection of vegan baked goods.

SuperVegan is a good place to start finding good restaurants http://supervegan.com/
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Dawn » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:18 pm

Super Vegan is a great website, I didn't know it existed.
I am ridiculously excited about Lulu's Sweet Apothecary! It's a vegan ice-cream parlour isn't it?! And it is round the corner from where we are staying so I will definitely be a regular customer while we're there and I'll say hi from you I promise.
And will def look up the other restaurants you've mentioned.

Thanks!
Dawn

Postby fredrikw » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:10 pm

Yep, Lula's is 100% vegan.

In that neighbourhood you'll have no problems finding a good selection of vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby vegan hal » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:41 pm

some great suggestions already.

east village/lower east side:
Teany - (if it's open, they had a fire) is great for lunch or breakfast.
Counter - good for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Kate's Joint - lunch or dinner.
Caravan of Dreams - old time fav for dinner

West/Greenwich Village:
Red Bamboo - one of our favorites.

upper east side:
Candle Cafe - (sister place to Candle 79) not as fancy or pricey and different food, but really good.
Candle 79.

i used to live there and it seems everytime i go back there are MORE vegan joints. I can;t even keep track. Have fun and post how you like it.
vegan hal

Postby Dawn » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:40 am

Thank you both, they are great recommendations and I'll report back!

Dawn
Dawn

Postby Dawn » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:56 pm

After all that, my boyfriend and I only got three days of holiday in New York after we had to return unexpectedly due to sad events at home.
So we didn't get to visit all the places we wanted to, including all those places recommended! But we loved New York and will return and eat at all those places -promise. We did manage however to visit a really great raw food restaurant called Quintessence in East Village. I would definitely recommend it as it was such a cosy little place serving delicious food - the Mexican chilli dish was the best and rather hard to share! If I could eat like that all the time I could definitely eat more raw!
Otherwise, we discovered a Vegan Bakery in East Village which was a little take-away kind of place selling all kinds of super savoury and sweet vegan goodies. The burrito with plantain in it was perfect grub for our flight home.
We didn't even manage to find Lula's - that's definitely somewhere for the next trip! But we did find another vegan ice-cream place in East Village called Stogo. They have a counter with at least 20 different flavours, some healthy sounding some decadent sounding! The salted caramel pecan flavour was the best tasting ice-cream I've ever tasted.
Dawn

Postby BlueRose » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:08 pm

I love Red Bamboo but heard they were going omni. D:
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VeganWomenBodybuildingAndFitness/
Boston Vegan Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BostonVeganFitness/
BlueRose

Postby fredrikw » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:40 pm

[quote="BlueRose"]I love Red Bamboo but heard they were going omni. D:

too bad :(

a couple of doors up from Red Bamboo there's a similar restaurant called Vegetarian Heaven (or something like that). not as fancy as Red Bamboo, but similar food to a fraction of the cost.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews