New forest vegan friendly places to eat?

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

New forest vegan friendly places to eat?

Postby alit » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:47 pm

Im off next weekend for a weeks holiday with my parents.

I had planned a visit to my fave place to eat in the area - Wessex Tails at Boscombe by Bournmouth - but it appears its closed down - very sad that was such a fantastic vegan place to eat :( says they do vegan cakes by delivery but cant stretch to £25 for a pud plus delivery!

Does anyone know of any vegan friendly places in the New forest or Bournmouth?

Can see me doing a lot of cooking all week as cant find any places and be nice to support veggie/vegan places but will be able to no doubt find good Indian/Pizza/Thai places to eat.

Im going to miss Wessex Tails! the salad centre is ok but more veggie than vegan there.

Off to search happycow now!
alit

Re: New forest vegan friendly places to eat?

Postby Konstantin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:04 am

Great curry house in Lyndhurst. I can't remember the name but its up the high street on the corner with the traffic lights. Fond memories of going there straight from the New Forest Marathon.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby ultra_whippet » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:20 pm

[quote="alit"]
I had planned a visit to my fave place to eat in the area - Wessex Tails at Boscombe by Bournmouth - but it appears its closed down

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :cry:
ultra_whippet

Postby alit » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:03 pm

[quote="Konstantin"]Great curry house in Lyndhurst. I can't remember the name but its up the high street on the corner with the traffic lights. Fond memories of going there straight from the New Forest Marathon.

Thank you will keep an eye out for that, few curry restaurants in Lymington too might investigate! Also found Thai restaurant in the next town. There is an Ask pizza place but will give the French bistro a miss they tell me they can do a salad for vegans :roll:
alit

Postby alit » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:05 pm

[quote="ultra_whippet"][quote="alit"]
I had planned a visit to my fave place to eat in the area - Wessex Tails at Boscombe by Bournmouth - but it appears its closed down

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :cry:

My thoughts too :( I was so happy at the idea of a day trip to Boscombe for lunch - checked and its closed (they seem to be running a cake delivery service in the area but dont think I can spend £25 for a tirimisu and then £5 delivery!)
Wessex tails was a real gem of a vegan cafe - will really miss it :(
alit

Postby alit » Thu May 06, 2010 8:25 pm

Just updating after my hols. Had a great week - the holiday cottage was fab.

I went to Bournmouth and tried out this veggie restaurant:

http://www.zoukinis.com/

Nice friendly family run place - fair amount of vegan options all seemed fresh, tasty and homemade, when I went the vegan cakes had run out but they do a good range. I didnt mind as left room for a shakeaway visit later on!

I didnt find many vegan friendly places in Lymington but there is an excellent health food store called Sweet Joe Pye there and a huge Waitrose with lots of good vegan options. The large Sat market had a stall selling great olives and tapas including bean and chick pea salads.

I went to a food festival in the next village Milford and there was a stall selling vegan brownies :D
In Milford we found a family run Italian restaurant who I have to say went out of their way to make me welcome as a vegan - they had veggie options on the menu but are now looking into vegan options. We booked for in the week and they did a house salad with chilli infused tofu, a huge pizza minus the cheese with lots of roasted vege on (they will add soya cheese if you want it) and they made an iced peach sorbet for pud with a very boozy sauce. This restaurant is called Piccolo Mondo.

On our way home we went to Avebury stone circle and had lunch in the National Trust veggie cafe Circles - soup is always vegan, Mum and me had the chick pea main dish - very tasty and huge portion, had ginger vegan cake for pud. Strange thing was they did not stock soya milk despite being a veggie/vegan restaurant? It's a nice setting there but unless you have National trust membership like my parents do It's £5 to park!

So a very good week - and not a drop of rain, just sunny weather.
alit

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews