Paris

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Paris

Postby tal » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:48 pm

I'm going to Paris for 4 days in April with the lady. And need some pointers...
Looking for good areas to stay in the city, and if there are any good places to eat. Trying to learn a little bit of french but I know it's going to fail.

Going there for our anniversary so a classy place with vegan food will earn me bonus points, so any help would be appreciated :)
tal

Re: Paris

Postby mouche » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:15 pm

Ouch. Veganism in France isn't easy - even in a restaurant where we are faithful regulars and the staff are all extremely helpful and we always tell them when we book. Even vegetarian dining wasn't easy.

Even though it's where half of my family is from, and where I spent pretty much every single holiday until I was about 16, I haven't eaten out in Paris in a long time, so I'm sure others can help out better than me. Though I would say your best bet are Lebanese places. I almost constantly crave falafel from any of the Lebanese places around the Forum des Halles.

I do remember seeing that Happy Cow had an interesting range of listings though I'm sure you've already looked it up. No personal recommendations there though, my family never go to vegan restaurants just for me.

For places to stay, I stumbled across the [url=Gentle Gourmet Bed and Breakfast]http://www.gentlegourmetbandb.com/[/url] which looks pretty amazing. But again, no personal experience as I always stayed with my grandparents, and now stay in our family house on the outskirts of Paris.

Sorry I'm not much help :oops: If I think of anything else, I'll let you know!
mouche

Postby downhillingdemon » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:32 pm

Make sure they know you are vegetalian not vegetarian!

Watch the bread - apparently using milk and or butter in the dough is common.

I went to Paris many years ago on a conference and dined at one of the very few vegetarian restaurants there - they were pretty good in understanding vegan requirements (although I was blessed with a veggie mate who spoke excellent French). Couldn't for the life of me tell you the name of the place, but it was somewhere near Notre Dame! On the whole though - trying to get food anywhere else (other than supermarkets) was a total ball ache.

However, last year in Bourg I managed to get vegan pizza sorted - the chef even checked whether I was vegetalian or vegetarian which was a shock! The supermarket too was pretty super and had a wide range of great soya milks and soya yoghurt. So I imagine (maybe wrongly) that Paris too may have moved out of the dark ages somewhat.
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby JS » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:46 am

I ate a le grenier de notre dame when I was there as a vegan - it wasn't bad - it's down a little side street near notre dame. I also hit pizza express, some buddha place and a place called aquarius I think it was but I was veggie then and it was a long time ago but agree check out the happy cow dining website as that's my bible for travel :) I also carry the vegan passport from veg society in case I struggle explaining to folk what vegan is.

I am trying to remember where I stayed all the times I've been. Last time was in pigalle - cheap but it's close to the red light district so not the most picturesque part of Paris. Also close to Sacre Couer and Moulin Rouge tourist attractions :) Oh watch out for the guys who try to make bracelets for you near sacre couer - they'll ask you to stick your finger out wop some thread on there and make you a gift for a price :)

Also if it's easter weekend be very prepared for big queues. I took a boyfriend there for his birthday and it fell on easter weekend and it was mobbed!

But enjoy I love Paris - walking round and soaking up the atmosphere :)
JS

Postby The Duke » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:24 pm

[quote="ilovecake"]La Victoire Supreme du Coeur! LA VICTOIRE SUPREME DU COEUR!

Shut down.
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby hannibal » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:59 am

hey talyn, you've probably seen this but in case not it seems to be reasonably up to date (though no longer updated) and has maps to all the veg restaurants listed...

http://veganparis.com/
hannibal

Postby The Duke » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:07 am

[quote="The Duke"][quote="ilovecake"]La Victoire Supreme du Coeur! LA VICTOIRE SUPREME DU COEUR!

Shut down.

Isn't it?

Also Le Potager du Marais was empty when I walked past, Picallo Teatro went a few years ago, and reports are that the Grenier de Notre Damme is going through a bad phase too!!!
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby mabli » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:30 pm

I worked in Paris every other week until last August and can confirm that its a crap place to be vegan. However, we had a north african place across the way from my office and they did great cous cous with veg, these are all over the city you just need to make sure that the stock doesnt have meat in it. There are a few veggie places too otherwise chips and salad yay!

Also they sell soya sun in the corner shops which is great.

I think I rememeber seeing someone in the welcome section from Paris, maybe ask them for ideas
mabli

Postby _Andreas_ » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:49 pm

[quote="The Duke"][quote="ilovecake"]La Victoire Supreme du Coeur! LA VICTOIRE SUPREME DU COEUR!

Shut down.

I'm so down........ its easily the best vegan place I have been

however, its opening again in the same place, but not purely vegan. They will still have vegan options though. I of course think its a shame since the place was amazing, but hopefully the vegan options won't have gone down hill. I prefer them to sell some animal products than stop completely.

http://www.vscoeur.com/pages_en/index2.htm
_Andreas_

Postby tal » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:49 pm

Thanks for all of the responses people.

I ended up deciding to stay around le marais. I will report back on my food findings :)
tal

Postby mouche » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:45 pm

Just an update as I spent yesterday afternoon in Paris with the parents. I suggested Lebanese for lunch, and my dad being unable to conceive of getting anything takeaway, or anything cheap, we ended up eating at Noura, a chain of rather upmarket Lebanese.

Quite expensive, but they do a vegetarian platter of mixed starters all vegan except for some cheese thing which I obviously asked not to have, including falafel, tabouleh, hummus, babaganoush which is called something else, some tomatoey-beany stew thing, and little spinach pastry cases which I was assured were vegan... decent portions, excellent food, for about €17 or €18 I think.

Probably not really what you're after as it's not specifically vegan, and almost any cheap Lebanese café will probably be just as good by my palate. But if you get stuck and want somewhere to sit and have a nice lunch, they have several around the city.

Will be in Paris a couple more days this week, will keep you posted if I find anything else good... but I just can't resist falafel when I'm in Paris!

Enjoy your trip!
mouche

Postby tal » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:53 pm

[quote="mouche"]Will be in Paris a couple more days this week, will keep you posted if I find anything else good...

Thanks for that. Any info is appreciated, I'm not heading off for another couple of weeks.
tal

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:11 am

Does anybody have any new recommendations for Paris? I am headed over on Monday for some days.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Adena » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:19 pm

My husband and I went to a dinner party at the Gentle Gourmet Bed & Breakfast (I think it was called) for Valentine's Day. I'll ask him for some more information on it when I get a chance, but I remember the food was pretty awesome and we had to book/pay for it ahead of time. It was pretty expensive, but worth it for the experience.

Other than that, we rented a short term rental apartment so we had a kitchenette, and bought some food at an organic/natural grocery nearby. I'll have to look up the name of it again, but it's a chain with a big red banner and there are several all over the city.
Adena

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews