Beijing

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Beijing

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:39 pm

I am off to Beijing next week for work. Anybody been and have any tips food wise for there? My hosts are (were, anyway...) aware that I am vegan and what that means, but I am afraid it will not help much. :shock:
Mr. Cleetus

Re: Beijing

Postby chloe » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:58 am

Hey!! how did this go??
Im going to china in june to travel around,will def be in beijing for some of it, would like any tips you learnt!! :)
chloe

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:14 pm

hmmm, well, it was an awesome trip! I'm not sure what exactly to say about the food though. I didn't knowingly have anything non-vegan, but I'd be very surprised if I didn't have some. Somehow I was pretty much treated like a king and I seemed to have an entourage for almost every meal and they all knew all about my diet. They looked after me the best they understood, so I certainly have no complaints. On my own it was certainly a challenge - even vegetarianism seemed to be something most were unused to. I had some great food though. I've got no particularly good tips unfortunately. I did learn that meat broth can be put in pretty much everything, so there is very little you can be sure is ok. Also quite a few of the breads can have eggs. In some of the nicer places they took me everything seemed to be cooked in peanut oil and there were many options for me. I found a number of blogs by vegans living in Beijing and elsewhere that were interesting and helpful, so if you haven't found them you might wanna look for them. I think the main thing is to not expect anybody to have any clue about what you are talking about, so it can be a bit difficult to communicate it to them (I was asked if I was Muslim?!). There are vege restaurants around, but they are few and far between.

I am very keen to go back (and I may be in June), but I won't be overly anticipating the food. It's well worth any difficulties though. :) Where all are you going?

[quote="chloe"]Hey!! how did this go??
Im going to china in june to travel around,will def be in beijing for some of it, would like any tips you learnt!! :)
Mr. Cleetus

Postby chloe » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:48 am

well i land in hongkong and take a ferry to the mainland to meet up with a friend who live there,then,.....we travel around!!! :) so no plans at all really,except to walk at least a part of the great wall!! will research it more closer to the time,im going in June,.But keeping eyes and ears open in the meantime for anyone that can offer first hand advice.The friend who lives there is vegetarian and also said that the meat broth is the biggest problem,and total avoidence is almost impossible,but she does know some good vege 'districts'!
will keep you posted,would be cool if you are going back again!
chloe

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews