Coming to U.S. in April, suggestions welcome (edited thread)

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:30 pm

[quote="Hiking Fox"]It's a good job I started this thread in our evening so it's their daytime, so all the pesky sarcastic British people are just going to bed and won't clog up my thread sniggering at me...

British people, sarcastic?
beforewisdom

Postby Hiking Fox » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:04 pm

[quote="beforewisdom"]I'm not sure I understand the last line. It is an OLD joke that Texans ( a subculture onto itself ) used to brag how everything in Texas is big -- but that was like half a century ago :)

Whenever Americans come to Britain, they walk round going on about how small everything is; especially our houses.
Hiking Fox

Postby KC Masterpiece » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:24 pm

Hey HF,

If you come to San Francisco, i'll PM you ALL the spots you have to visit. You really can't lose in the Bay Area, especially SF.

My first instinct was to suggest NY and SF, which it looks like has been covered pretty well by everyone else.

Finding accessible vegan stuff for more than a day is pretty difficult anywhere beyond "major" cities in the US unless you're extraordinarily creative.
KC Masterpiece

Postby KC Masterpiece » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:28 pm

[quote="ilovecake"]Vegans go to Portland, Oregon. It's just what we do ... :)

If *I* had a month to kill in America, I'd do this:

1). San Francisco, California
2). Farm Sanctuary (California),
3). Portland, Oregon
4). Seattle, Washington

Then I'd hop on a ferry to:

5). Victoria, British Columbia (Canada)
6). Vancouver, British Columbia

Then, if there was time, I'd fly to New York City. I haven't been there, but I hear it's awfully touristy and easy to spend a few days in.
Plus, the flight from the west coast of North America to the UK is long and often horrible, so I'd be going to NYC to break up the 8+ hour journey as much as anything else.

Plus all this^^

If you go to New York (I moved from NY to SF), spend most of your time in either the West or East Villages (in Manhattan) or in Brooklyn (a borough outside of Manhattan). Lots more vegan options, a hell of a lot less touristy and just better all around.
KC Masterpiece

Postby loveliberate » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:27 am

Fox,

Come visit me at VeganHQ here in Little Beirut, Cascadia -aka- "Portland, Oregon"! :D

The US is a massive & diverse country so my advice is to pick a handful of spots that are not too far apart to visit and explore in greater depth. That said, a cross-country roadtrip has a lot to be said for it too! Please tell us more about your interests and give us an indication of what kind of budget you have to work with, then we'll have more to work with.

Also, have a peek at this list of N. America's top Veg Cities: http://www.goveg.com/f-vegcities.asp
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Re: Question for the Americans

Postby BlueRose » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:57 pm

[quote="Hiking Fox"]Will I be able to buy cups of tea? Is it true that you all drink coffee and tea is hard to find?

...you are hilarious.

No, really. I'm a tea-drinking American. You'll find us everywhere. We have tea shops in addition to coffeehouses. Some of us even put soy creamer in our tea.

;)
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VeganWomenBodybuildingAndFitness/
Boston Vegan Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BostonVeganFitness/
BlueRose

Postby coffeemongerer » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:09 am

San Francisco is amazing... I've only been once and I'm driving out there again with my bestie (now that I'm within driving distance) for my golden birthday at the end of April... because of the Golden Gate Bridge, obviously. If you go to San Fran, I suggest the International Hostel at Fisherman's Wharf in Fort Mason. We went last time and are going again. A great way to meet people from all over, a view of the bridge, and Alcatraz. Sort of a silly touristy strip, the Wharf itself, but there's public transit to everything else.

Being a queer vegan and not having yet been to the Pacific Northwest (soon, soon, soon) I still know that Seattle and Portland are supposedly amazing. I believe the rumors.

Living in Utah now (wild...)... I would highly highly highly suggest drifting this way for scenery you will not see anywhere else. Zion... yeah. I live in St. George, which is less than an hour away, and this state, conservative meat-eating hetreo Mormon factor aside... is effing gorgeous. Red rocks, snow capped mountains, purple mountains, all in a look around. I think the place gets such a bad rap to keep people out... more space to enjoy. Of all places in the world I never guessed I'd end up living here (came out for a wilderness job, it blows my mind every time I go to work... one week in the desert one week off, etc.)

I grew up in the Midwest and wouldn't say to pass it over. I'm sort of proud and homesick. Milwaukee is the greatest city in America. Beans and Barley or Comet Cafe among others can meet your dining needs. Less of a city, more of a warm fuzzy town. Chicago Diner in Chicago? Meat Free since '83. Awesommme.

Okay that's sort of my life story, sorry about that. Haven't been on here in foreverrr and got to represent. Hope you find what you're looking for!
coffeemongerer

Postby chloe » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:55 am

i was going to say UTAH!! thats where i want to go, god id love to go there!!!how easy would it be as a random tourist in utah?how easy to get around?and out into some of that gorgeous scenery!!?How is the public transport>or would you need to hire a car?is that expensive?
I would personally also like Chicago on the list!
and yeah fox you are hilarious,..americans arent all that weird and alien.(i dont think :) im sure they have edible food and drinkable tea and ,..well alright maybe not the beer....
chloe

Postby BlueRose » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:21 am

I'm biased, but head to Boston. We have an awesome vegan pizzeria, several good Asian vegan places, a couple of raw vegan restaurants, plus one of the best vegan organic places called The Pulse Cafe and I swear by them!

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VeganWomenBodybuildingAndFitness/
BlueRose

Postby Enhydra Lutris » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:27 pm

I don't know about the US, but in Canada they had "home fries" which was like giant British chips, but tastier and with the peel left on the ends, and you could get it "everywhere".
They say the grass is greener on the other side
-- but have you ever flipped it over?
[quote]The Jean-Paul Sartre cookbook: "Today I made a Black Forest cake out of five pounds of cherries and a live beaver, challenging the very definition of the word cake."
Enhydra Lutris

Postby BlueRose » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:34 pm

[quote="Enhydra Lutris"]I don't know about the US, but in Canada they had "home fries" which was like giant British chips, but tastier and with the peel left on the ends, and you could get it "everywhere".

We tend to call those types of fries "steak fries" but not always and yeah, you can get them anywhere. They're the best!

BlueRose

Postby loveliberate » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:06 pm

I definitely agree that Utah is very beautiful and would add that one of the greatest resources the USA has is a tremendously varied range of natural / wild lands that are well worth experiencing, particularly if you otherwise spend most of your time in cities! :)
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:00 am

Come to Ann Arbor.
You won't get to see the real US on the coasts. A little of the real middle is needed. Plus, our city rocks. Good cheap vegan food. Down to earth attitude. Nice fitness venues. Great biking, running, swimming, soccer, etc. And more bookstores and coffee/tea shops per capita than anywhere else in the US.

...heck, Madison, which isn't too far away, has the most bars per capita in the US. The midwest rocks it.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby City_of_F » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:36 am

Stay the hell out of Montana...

If it weren't for my job and a couple of classes tying me down here, I would have moved years ago... :cry:
It`s a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don`t keep your feet, there`s no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Tolkein
City_of_F

Postby Frostfire » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:26 am

[quote="chloe"]i was going to say UTAH!! thats where i want to go, god id love to go there!!!how easy would it be as a random tourist in utah?how easy to get around?and out into some of that gorgeous scenery!!?How is the public transport>or would you need to hire a car?is that expensive?

Yes, come to Utah! If you come to Moab when I'm working, I'll take you on one of my tours (if you don't mind Hummers/ATVs that is . . .) otherwise I can show you some amazing hikes :D . Salt Lake City is awesome as well, a lesser-known vegan haven. If you are there on a Thursday, I'll take you to the local farm animal sanctuary!

There is little public transport, but renting cars is very affordable and with one you can get around really well. Things might be a bit more spaced out than you are used to, so be prepared for that. Utah is very tourist-friendly :)
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

PreviousNext

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews