list of airlines that cater for vegans

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

list of airlines that cater for vegans

Postby runner » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:23 am

airline discription:

British Airways vegan (not on all flights)
Delta vegetarian no dary
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby barnz2k » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:49 pm

was wondering this exactly the other day,
I went on American Airlines, requested vegan and she took the request no worries - only to be told on the flight they only offer vegetarian and couldnt tell me if the curry containted dairy or not!! gahhh!
barnz2k

Postby fredrikw » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:53 pm

In my experience these policies can change at anytime, best is always to check directly with the airline and get the meal request on paper. Any list here will risk being outdated the minute you press Submit :)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby tal » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:54 pm

runner, you should amend this to airlines that cater for vegans (well).

i've flown with air newzealand, which for 3/4 flights, gave me vegan food - the other time they forgot, and only one of those means was suspect

also been with etihad, got two meals, one was definetley not vegan
tal

Postby barnz2k » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:05 pm

on checking the AA site, the veg meal IS vegan.. too bad the staff didn't know that!!

Im actually putting together a list anyways. The types of meals served and on what flights may change, but the meal description and codes shouldnt
barnz2k

Postby Hiking Fox » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:52 pm

[quote="barnz2k"]
Im actually putting together a list anyways. The types of meals served and on what flights may change, but the meal description and codes shouldnt

Don't suppose you could put together a comprehensive list and post it on here as its own thead? It would be a very useful resource for those who can't avoid flying.
Hiking Fox

Postby Toothache » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:28 pm

Interesting thread, this. Personally I've yet to fly long haul as a vegan but in 2010 I will do a fair bit. On the basis of this I think I'll suggest we fly with AA when we go to New York.

I'd be very interested in that forthcoming list.
Toothache

Postby chloe » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:55 pm

Singapore air and Korean air did quite nice vegan meals, and im about to embark on a long haul Air Brunei flight, so will get back about their vegan meal too!
chloe

Postby runner » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:26 pm

BA told me the 2,5hour flight is to short to offer vegan meal/ snack

got one time 3 color tofu on sas airline.

with delta I'm not 100% sure about the pesto. they had. thing is it almost looked home made the way it was wrapped.. only plastic, no label, nothing.

guess many can depend on locations as well. might be better if you fly from nyc than if you fly from madrid??
runner

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:15 pm

Pretty much all of the many airlines I have been on for long haul flights have had a "vegetarian dairy free" meal option. Whether or not you actually get it is another question. Also, do not expect any of the hosts to understand what the codes mean or to be able to determine what you actually have. Most recently I've had meals on Air NZ, Qantas and Lufthansa. As far as I can tell its not possible to get a vegan meal flying across the Tasman.

edit: I've found non-vegan things in my meals on a multitude of occasions.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby JS » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:10 am

Personally whenever i have flown as vegan (3 years now) I always carry food as I have had the following experiences despite booking a vegan meal:

I live in UK.

Two ski holidays with Thomas Cook to France and Canada - no vegan meal ordered apparently - it had been and then when they did order it for my return flight it was veggie. I was even asked if i could eat chicken as a vegan!? Perhaps they don't do vegan and staff couldn't tell me outright? They did find me some fruit though so tried.

Two flights to Kenya with KLM out and Kenya Airlines (partner airline) back. Out to Nairobi was fine coming back I never get a vegan meal - don't think they do vegan.

BA out to Houston I got meals although disappointed as it was mash with green beans and tomatoes there and back. Still it was food so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Infact tbh even as a veggie I have had issues with getting meals. Ha don't travel with me :) I always find it tough when they bring out the snacks of ice-cream or noodles etc for other passengers and there is no vegan option for me - you end up hungry :(

I generally found travel as a veggie stressful on the food front as the majority of times there was a scramble to find me something. Saying that I am talking over the past 18 years so I reckon veggie travel is easier now. Vegan is the struggle.

A list of good airlines would be great - BA to Houston is the only airline I have flown with that gave me vegan there and back.

:D
JS

Postby runner » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:38 pm

ba snacks contained whey so gave it back.. on the phone they told me they don't cater for vegans on short flights.. a bit weird that a bag of nuts needs to contain non vegan ingrediënts..
runner

Postby Hiking Fox » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:33 pm

I haven't flown for about 10 years, so I'm not sure what has changed recently. Is there anything to stop you taking your own food?
Hiking Fox

Postby runner » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:43 pm

you can take your own food usually, (not drinks), but this means that they will trow away one non vegan meal as there is usually no no meal option in catered flights as far as I know.
runner

Postby Hiking Fox » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:45 pm

So are you saying that they automatically prepare food for every passenger, whether they book it or not? Sounds very wasteful.
Hiking Fox

Next

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews