London and Manchester Vegan hotspots?

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

London and Manchester Vegan hotspots?

Postby Superflor » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:54 am

Will be over from Spain, staying in London over new year then Liverpool/Manchester then Canterbury. i've checked out a few sites but looking for personal recommendations of where to eat/check out in those places. I wanna make the most of the vegan offerings.

I see someone posted that Pogo Cafe was good, so might go there? Anywhere else I CANNOT miss, please?
Superflor

Postby tal » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:56 pm

For London, check out http://www.veganlondon.co.uk for a start. I could easily rattle off about ten places that would be worth going to to eat, but is there anything in particular you like?

Pogo is good, if you're on the east side, otherwise it's a bit of a nightmare to get there (bus required). Having said that though, their cakes are the best you will find in London, or just about anywhere, save making them yourself.

I recommend you search the travel reviews board and you'll find heaps of input from others.
tal

Postby Hiking Fox » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:16 pm

London is about forty miles across. Public transport there is very good, but might be affected by the current snowy conditions.

With this in mind, it would be useful to know which parts of London you expect to be in.

With regards to Manchester, there are very few all veggie places, but omnivorous places tend to have vegan options. The Earth Cafe is all-vegan and sells good, healthy food, but it closes at 7pm on weekdays, is closed Sunday and Monday. It closes early on Saturdays.

There used to be a great vegetarian cafe called Mod Pop (also known as Cafe Pop), but it closed a few weeks ago.

I tend to eat in Tampopo, a Japanese/Chinese/Thai/Malaysian/Korean place selling a range of noodle and rice dishes, with vegan options clearly marked on the menu. The food isn't amazing, but it is okay value for the price, and service is very fast. They serve green tea and fresh pressed orange juice as well as beers.

Bar Burrito also has an okay selection, but it is more of a fast food place with seats.

There is a thread in this section of the website about Manchester. Flux mentioned a place called Odder in that thread that does vegan breakfasts, though I haven't been there myself.

There's also Eighth Day, which is a big, all-vegetarian place just south of the city centre. You can get decent vegan food there easily, and I'd recommend the stews, but not the bakes, which can be pricey for what you get.

Many of the city centre places that aim for a young, professional crowd (e.g. Kro) serve things like potato wedges and olives, so can be okay for a snack.

Outside of the city centre, there's a veggie place called Fuel in the studenty area of Withington that is cheap and open late, but I've never eaten there. There's also a restaurant called Greens in nearby Didsbury that is highly rated on websites, but I ate there once and found almost nothing vegan on the menu, and rude, hurried service.

There's also a place called Greenhouse in the studenty area of Rusholme that has very random opening hours and buys most of what it serves in frozen. Some people love the place, some hate it.
Hiking Fox

Postby Hiking Fox » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:21 pm

In addition to the above, I recall having quite two good meals in a cafe called Dimitris in the Spanish Institute, on Deansgate. It was about four years ago that I last went, so I cannot comment on whether it is still good for vegan options.

There's also a pub called The Knott on Deansgate that used to be really good for vegan food. They have a new chef and there are no longer guaranteed to be vegan options clearly marked on the menu, but the staff are helpful and they are used to serving vegan customers, so I have never been disappointed there.

Manchester doesn't have a really good vegetarian place. It really needs one. I wouldn't say that any of the places I've mentioned are unmissable.
Hiking Fox

Postby Superflor » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:55 pm

Yes, well, I looked at Veganlondon and my fav, HappyCow and I liked the look of the Rootfinders and the other bustaurant. Pogos looks good for a burger.

Maybe somewhere not too pricey for a good hot meal that fills you up. So anywhere with homemade hearty, warming food but with a relaxed atmosphere. Am not too fussed about those buffet places but if possible I'd like to support a pure vegan place, even if it means a bit of a trek to get there.

I'll be based in Leyton but one day travelling to Beckenham, another to Blackheath and in and around town.
Thanks a lot.
Superflor

Postby Superflor » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:59 pm

Thanks Hiking Fox for the Mancunian info. I'll check out Odder and a pub sounds excellent.
Superflor

Postby Hiking Fox » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:08 pm

[quote="Superflor"] So anywhere with homemade hearty, warming food but with a relaxed atmosphere. Am not too fussed about those buffet places but if possible I'd like to support a pure vegan place, even if it means a bit of a trek to get there.

The buffet places in London use a lot of MSG and keep being criticised by environmental health, if what locals have said on here is true, so I'd steer clear.

You'd probably like the Earth Cafe in Manchester, as it fits your criteria. Other people who go there more often than I do say it has declined in quality and choice, but I must be lucky because whenever I've gone I've always had big portions of filling, tasty food such as cottage pie with loads of roast vegetables and gravy. It does tend to get busy these days, though, as there is little competition nearby.
Hiking Fox

Postby tal » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:07 pm

Hrm, OK, I went to 222 veg in west kensington last week, and it was amazing. The food is reasonably priced and it has a nice atmosphere, would definetley recommend it.

Also peking palace is nice if you like Chinese food. The veg buffet places are a bit meh, but they are quite popular.

[quote]I'll be based in Leyton but one day travelling to Beckenham, another to Blackheath and in and around town.

Really? I'm just up the road, in Leytonstone. Not much for vegans here, but you aren't far from Pogo, so definetley head over there.
tal

Postby alit » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:14 pm

For London Id second 222 - fantastic food, nice staff and atmosphere - buffet lunch is good.

Peking Palace (Archway tube) is a firm fave of mine as Its all vegan (not sure if all puds are vegan as never had ant or seen the menu but all starters/mains are) I love it there as great food - no MSG and great menu choice also great value. I always head there when I visit London as only place Ive found I can get vegan Chinese food without msg.

For cake to me you cant beat InSpiral cafe in Camden - I dont have the mains there - they look nice and Ive had take out but I tend to go for buffet lunch at Peking Palace then later go for cake at InSpiral :D

Ive never been to Rootmaster - tried to find it but Its hard to find - Its more expensive.

Not keen on the Tai buffets after what Ive read about msg/food hygiene and the staffing issues, have tried them in the past but the msg does not suit me.

Loved Pogo the one time I went for breakfast but It takes ages to get to by bus - well took me an hour on the bus then a lot of walking around trying to find it! Great vibe in there you must go if you can - all day vegan breakfast and cake are great!
alit

Postby Superflor » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:05 pm

That's great. Will check them out. Thanks, amigos :)
Superflor

Postby JP » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:44 am

food is a subjective thing.

But as a counterbalance to the exellent suggestions above, let me introduce you to the junk food side.

Firstly, the buffet places in london are my favourites (as well as burger joints), MSG or a bit of health and safety aside :D

Manchester is world known for its curry places. There is an area called curry mile with tons and tons of curry places - worth seeing it even if you are not planning to eat! There is one vegetarian place there, but its not a proper restaurant, more like a sweet, and snack shop with some dinner options as well (they just reheat them i think?).

In curry mile there is a solid falafel place called... Falafel :D

But the best curry place in central manchester is a place called This & That. It is tucked away and doesnt look like a place you would like to visit. But it is the best... Rice and three veg for 3.20.
http://www.restaurant-guide.com/this-and-that.htm
JP
Site Admin

Postby Hiking Fox » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:02 pm

[quote="JP"]
Manchester is world known for its curry places. There is an area called curry mile with tons and tons of curry places - worth seeing it even if you are not planning to eat! There is one vegetarian place there, but its not a proper restaurant, more like a sweet, and snack shop with some dinner options as well (they just reheat them i think?).

I was going to mention curry mile, but I don't have any up to date info about which ones have vegan options, and didn't want to send a poor visitor on a mile long trek up a cold rain-lashed road to find out!

I don't suppose you know of any specific ones?
Hiking Fox

Postby chloe » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:58 pm

Hey Pogo is now closed until sometime next year (jan 7th or so i believe)
route master is a little ho-hum.
Has anyone been to Saf recently?Ot has anyone been to both saf and 222 and which do you tihnk think is better??
chloe

Postby JP » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:42 pm

[quote="Hiking Fox"]

only go to three there to be honest. One is that veggie deli place. Then spicy hut which is in the start of the curry mile, and then another one which name i cant remember where we used to go after hunt sabbing years back...

those places know what vegan means, and are happy to help out.

I would think most of them are fine?
JP
Site Admin

Postby spike » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:46 pm

[quote="JP"][quote="Hiking Fox"]

only go to three there to be honest. One is that veggie deli place. Then spicy hut which is in the start of the curry mile, and then another one which name i cant remember where we used to go after hunt sabbing years back...

those places know what vegan means, and are happy to help out.

I would think most of them are fine?

Which one is the veggie deli place?
Is the one whose name you can't remmeber called Punjab? Used to be veggie but not any more?
spike

Next

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews