Brunei for a day ??

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Brunei for a day ??

Postby chloe » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:03 pm

Can anyone offer me any tips on spending a day in brunei on a long transit heading to NZ..!!??I have about ten hours to kick about there, and thought it would be a good to use the time to check the place out!!
ANY tips would be great, though obviously stuff like how to get from the airport to somewhere that might make a soy flatwhite,..would be particularly helpful! :D
chloe

Postby arts_bandit » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:57 am

Are you flying Royal Brunei by any chance? :wink:

BSB is good for a couple of days sightseeing if you take it slow or you could cram it all into th 10 hour layover...like I did.

You are 'encouraged' to take the free tourist tour bus that does a 3 hour loop but of course it is much more fun to do it on your own. There's some buses that leave for the 'CBD' right outside the airport but the customs guys said these were a bit erratic so if you can't see any sign of one then hoof it down the road, under the bridge and turn right at the second roundabout. Buses going to town can be flagged down here or you could hitch with a friendly Brunian (?) who may only charge you a dollar or so for the lift.

Tourist Sites??? The big arse Mosque, the Floating Village, Sultan's Regalia Museum, Brunei Museum....you get the idea.

Food is fairly standard Malay, Southern Indian, Chinese. I rather rated the small, white Muslim/Indian cafe just down from the 'Coffe Bean & Tea Leaf' on the National Stadium Square - check out the rather handsome Sultan in his youth. Have to ask about what's what and eat with your fingers but heh, when in Roma and all that.

Can't remember what the Coffee Bean does in the way of soy as when I used to frequent them in KL all the time I was still an omni but I reckon they would be your best bet. Pricey by regional standards but a damn site cheaper than London, or Auckland for that matter.
arts_bandit

Postby chloe » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:35 pm

Haha brilliant, this is excellent information thank you so much!so you reakon its deffinately easy to leg it around town and check stuff out without being lost and late for the 2nd leg of my flight! ? :)
And indeed i am flying royal brunei, and i have the same 10 hour lay-over,.
how much of the local currency do you think i would need for the day there?food, coffee, busses/sightseeing, postcards that sort of hooha?
And how about speaking english?no problems?any local lingo i should arm myself with??
cheers dude, this is really helpful!! :D
chloe

Postby arts_bandit » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:13 am

Did that leg both to and from Auckland so had two goes at the 10 hour layover - hence my expert status :wink:

It's pretty easy to get around and most people speak some English - similar level and amount to Malaysia and Singapore.

Hmmm. I think I spent about $15 each time - 2/3 to go to and from the airport, $5 on dinner and then some fruit and snacks. Not sure about this though but its not expensive. Coffee in the chains is expensive as anywhere else - $4 at a guess. Not sure about postcards.

I don't think the tourist sights charged any money but I can't remember for sure. Remember if its too hot then the mosque is a good spot to chill out,.

As for missing your flight I guess if worse came to the worse you hail a taxi. I'm sure they'll be happy to relieve you of some Brunian dollars to get you to the airport.

And as its a long way from Europe don't forget the free showers down the spiral staircase in the departure/transit lounge.
arts_bandit

Postby chloe » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:29 pm

hey artsbandit, once again,thanks for the advice, paryticularly the showers!i checked out that coffee place,the coffee bean and tea leaf,they will set me up with hopefully good,soy coffee!im also doing the 10hours both on way there and back,..so another thing,..how was the food on the flight????
chloe

Postby arts_bandit » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:05 pm

Not bad actually. In fact the whole experience was better than I thought it would be.

They don't have the most modern planes and entertainment system but the staff are pretty good and the route to and from Auckland was half full when I went, allowing some seat sneaking and a whole middle section to myself.

From what I remember the food was alright on the way out but on the way back they forgot the vegan meal and had to replace it with a raw veggie one. I'd say this was better quality and might be the best bet to opt for assuming that you can do without hot food and filling food - the portions of vegetable being quite small of course.
arts_bandit

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews