Burger Fuel (Aotearoa/New Zealand)

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Burger Fuel (Aotearoa/New Zealand)

Postby stateofflux » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:04 pm

I was pretty excited to discover the excellent vegan burger from the Aotearoa/New Zealand burger chain called Burger Fuel.

Their vegan burger is called V8 VEGAN, it's a pumpkin, cashew nut and ginger pattie with mushroom, olive and sage pate, salad and relish. It's massive and very tasty despite sounding like a nasty hippyburger, I was terribly impressed.

It doesn't end there though, on top of the gorgeous kumara (sweet potato) fries you can complete the meal with soy malt ice-cream shakes, including lime which I haven't had since I was a wee whippersnapper, imagine my joy :) I tried almost all flavours- chocolate, strawberry and caramel and they were all stunning.

Here are some pics, including two veggie/vegan ad's. My pics don't really do the burger's justice.

stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby JP » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:22 pm

HUBBA HUBBA HUBBA!!!!

WHOAHAOHAOAHAOOAAAAA!!!!

LOVE IT!!!!
JP
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:53 pm

emmmm good stuff, maybe that will have to be dinner in the Cleetus household tonight.

gotta watch them on the aioli tho - they keep sticking it on even when asked not to! No fun when you don't discover it until you're home and hungry. 8)
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Andrewc » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:03 pm

I just checked out their website and it made me hungry for a burger I cannot get my hands on. They have two stores in Sydney so next time I'm up there I'll check it out.
Andrewc

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:17 pm

[quote="Andrewc"]I just checked out their website and it made me hungry for a burger I cannot get my hands on. They have two stores in Sydney so next time I'm up there I'll check it out.

yeah, but you've got Lord of the Fries, so I don't wanna see complaints from you!! :P
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Andrewc » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:29 pm

[quote="Mr. Cleetus"][quote="Andrewc"]I just checked out their website and it made me hungry for a burger I cannot get my hands on. They have two stores in Sydney so next time I'm up there I'll check it out.

yeah, but you've got Lord of the Fries, so I don't wanna see complaints from you!! :P

Actually 3, going on 4, LOTF in one city... ;) Regardless, I want one of those burgers.
Andrewc

Postby benzilla » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:00 pm

Looks pretty nice. I'll have to check out the Newtown store.
benzilla

Postby arts_bandit » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:17 am

And 'Handmade Burger' have two Vegan options - Tempe & Felafel Patties.

One shop in K-Rd and another in Kingsland.

I think I slightly prefer them to Burger Fuel but it's all good!
arts_bandit

Postby stateofflux » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:17 am

Cleetus- don't they always ask if you aioli, they did fortunately at all 3 places we went to? It's a bit silly they add it to a clearly marked vegan burger. Maybe worth emailing them about it and suggesting they omit it or offer vegan mayo instead.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby helmut » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:19 pm

wow! that looks impressive. love the advertising too- that they are clearly veg and proud of it
*take me to the mediocrity dungeon*
helmut

Postby stateofflux » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:27 pm

[quote="helmut"]wow! that looks impressive. love the advertising too- that they are clearly veg and proud of it

Unfortunately they aren't veg :( but they do provide for vegans in what to me is quite an unprecedented way for a burger chain.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Shaolin Avenger » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:57 am

Mmm, sounds awesome!
Shaolin Avenger

Postby benzilla » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:01 am

Was at Burger Fuel in Newtown on the weekend, great burger and fries. Didn't try the shakes though. There are 4 different burgers, awesome, many excuses to go back.
benzilla

Postby hardcore iv » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:30 am

[quote="Andrewc"][quote="Mr. Cleetus"][quote="Andrewc"]I just checked out their website and it made me hungry for a burger I cannot get my hands on. They have two stores in Sydney so next time I'm up there I'll check it out.

Actually 3, going on 4, LOTF in one city... ;) Regardless, I want one of those burgers.

Make that 5, bro. 3 in the city and 1 in northland and 1 in knox :D Melb central one has hotdogs!!

I checked out the newtown burger fuel a couple of weeks ago and was pretty impressed. I had the combustion vege burger, kumera fries and a choc shake that was almost too sweet for me. I'll be back.
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Burger Fuel...

Postby TMH » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:18 am

... is da' bomb! And, they also have gluten-free buns!

Have never had a problem with the store in Palmerston North. The staff are "on the ball" in terms of what's non-vegan.

Unfortunately, the tofu burger option was pulled a few months ago as it wasn't popular... bugger!
TMH

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews