Trondheim, Norway - need suggestions

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Trondheim, Norway - need suggestions

Postby cactuspear » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:17 pm

I'll be in Trondheim for the entire month of December at an artist residency. Can anyone recommend some good places to eat? What about stores that sell natural/vegan products (preferably on the cheap side)? Where can I find a list of Norwegian vegan products like soap, toothpaste, etc.?

Also, message me if you live there and want to hang out sometime!

Thanks!
cactuspear

Postby ida » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:55 pm

I go to Trondheim now and then to work (my company have an office there). Finding vegan food can be a bit difficult considering this is a traditional fisherman city. First time I went there I had called ahead to the hotel to ask them to arrange with vegan food for breakfast - and they served me boiled potatoes... :roll:

There is an indian restaurant near the harbour that is pretty ok, where the food is ok and the price is ok for being Norway (main course about 100 NOK). In Solsiden mall there is a health food store (Life) and a café (towards the street in the old long stone house where there are lots of restaurants) where there is a vegan alternative for lunch, also around 100 NOK. I been to some fancier places as well (eating for company money) but there is very rarly any vegan options on the menu. They have no problems cooking vegan food though, you just have to ask.

Unfortunately I have no planned business to go to Trondheim in December, otherwise we could have arranged a meet up. While you are there I really think that you should go out in to the countryside, the nature is just amazing! Also take a boatride somewhere to sea the ocean, this is aslo quite wonderful. If it was not winter I would suggest an early morning run or walk (before 05.30) to enjoy the view of that beautiful city in all calmness and before everyone is up and heading to work. But the dark mornings and afternoons gives only a few hours of sunlight this time of the year so this is a bit difficult.

Anyway, hope you'll have a wonderful stay in Trondheim and Norway, and that you can enjoy it despite all that fish... :D
there is always time for rowing
ida

Postby cactuspear » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, Ida!

Luckily, I have an apartment with a kitchen, so it's easy to cook what I need at home. I found another health food store in the town center called Helios on Prinsens gt. that has more food products than Life, including organic vegetables. Ultra has rice, soy, and oat milk. I think I saw soy at Bunnpriset.

Have you ever been to Persillieret while in Trondheim? It's an all-veggie restaurant at Erling Skakkes gt 39. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to soon!
cactuspear

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews