Have you worked a Ski Season?

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Have you worked a Ski Season?

Postby markxrat » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:38 am

I've been thinking it would be cool to spend the winter season working in the alps next season.
I'm not in the position to just drop everything and do it this year. But i think it would be a really good thing for me to do and to take me completely out of my comfort zone and do something totally new. I'll be 25 by then and i think that will be a good age to do something like this.

My question is has anyone done a ski season working in a resort before? How and where would i go about making this happen for myself?

Also would being vegan be an issue?
markxrat

Postby V VII Hero » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:56 pm

some of my first jobs were working at ski resorts.
snowboard instructor
lift attendant

all depends on what you want to do.

it is really fun. doesnt pay much at all, but usually free lift tickets, discount on food and store. plus make good friends. and you spend the day joking around and enjoying life. and you get to be on the slopes (when youre not working).

choose what mountain interests you, pick an entry level job, and contact them. tell them you would love to work there. send them your resume. but most importantly its all about the passion. let them know how much you really really want to do this, and they will usually choose you over others for an entry level job because you really want to be there.

vegan is never an issue anywhere in the world. variety, maybe, but vegan no. theres always plenty of beans, rice, potatoes to go around in this world.
i recommend buying your food from local supermarket and making it yourself.
lentils are cheap and filling, so are rice noodles, or spaghetti.
just bring a multivitamin to make sure youre getting proper nutrition.
be creative. eat cheap, so the money you make lasts you.

I'm 25 btw. definately get out of your comfort zone and have fun.

I dont know how hard it is to get employment at the alps. but i def know there are US resorts that will hire you.

other places to look into ski resort work that are English friendly
Canada, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby markxrat » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:16 am

Thanks for you response.

What do you mean by an entry level job. What would make that grade?

Things like working in a chalet and such?
I dont think letting them know that i want to do it will be an issue.

I hadn't really considered Canada or New Zealand but maybe they would be a good idea but i kind of liked the idea of working somewhere that i can expand my language skills a bit. I guess the season in New Zealand falls during our summer time?
markxrat

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews