Brighton

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Brighton

Postby hakko » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:15 pm

My vegan sister (who, to be honest, is not as much into sports as I am) is moving to Brighton in mid-October and will stay there for four months as part of her education. She's 26 and an awesome person. Any tips on where to live, where to hang out etc are appreciated!

I found this thread but things tend to change after a while.
hakko

Postby Travelgal08 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:39 pm

Oh I love Brighton, went to Uni there but it was quite a few years ago so I wouldn't be too up to date on where to live. Plus we lived on the dodgiest street I really couldn't recommend! But the city is quite small, easy to get around. Southover street area is nice, around the laines is good...so many great places to eat. Hopefully others can be a bit more specific for you.
Travelgal08

Postby alit » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:39 pm

Not sure where to hang out/live but I visited Brighton in August for the first time for a few days break and loved the place!

I visited some of the many veggie/vegan places to eat there including:

Terre a Terre - very nice fancy food - great tastes but very expensive (I tried the frugal menu 3 courses for £13 but was still hungry after!)

Infinity foods cafe - a fave of mine - they run an organinc supermarket too that is crammed with vegan goodies and wonerful fresh breads too. The cafe is really nice.

Food for friends had good vegan options too.

I also liked a place called Aloka - think it was called that opposite Terre a Terre that sells organic food you weigh the plate type place (their takeaway was half price between 3-4pm)

The George is a veggie pub serves good vegan ranges and there is Bombay Aloo on Ship Street that is a very cheap stuff your face place!

There are several vegan friendly places around the North Laines - if you do a search on happy cow it will list them all.

In Hove there is Heather Mill's cafe VBites that is all vegan.

If your sister needs to travel to/from London then Its worth checking out the Southern trains site as they do very cheap advance tickets - I only paid £2 each way!

Dont know if you belong to one of the main other vegan forums (not sure if ok to mention other forums here?) but they have a vegan Brighton thread there and some members who live there. Like any city there are some areas best to avoid but I felt safe in the main part of town wandering round at night.

Afraid thats all the advice I have as I was only there for a few days but will be back as really liked it there :D
alit

Postby JP » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:49 am

[quote="alit"] (not sure if ok to mention other forums here?)

of course it is! :)

Just copy & paste useful links as well, no probs.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Toothache » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:01 am

I second the George, awesome pub with great food!

Brighton is a great place.
Toothache

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews