Visiting New Zealand (North Island only)

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Visiting New Zealand (North Island only)

Postby stateofflux » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:34 pm

JP and I will be in New Zealand (North Island only) for a week in November, the only places we have scheduled so far are Wellington where we fly into and Auckland where we fly out from. If there are any VF members in between these cities it'd be nice to meet up with you, we will to driving from Wellington to Auckland via Rotorua.

We would also appreciate recommendations of vegan-friendly places to stay and eat and areas on the North Island we absolutely should see, we are sorted for Wellington.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:19 pm

I am in Wellington and could really only help you with info here - so I am not much help to you! :) I've never really found any cafes of note north of Wellington - though Auckland certainly has some. I'd be keen for a meet up though. I assume you are hooking up with Mark already?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Bai » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:54 am

Don't forget Nature in lower hutt! 8)
Bai

Postby stateofflux » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:53 am

Yep, we'll definitely be meeting Mark. He's asked if we'd give a talk about VF.

It'd be great to meet up, I'll PM you the dates when we will be around.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Auckland

Postby TMH » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:19 am

How long would you be in Auckland? There's a couple of vegetarian/vegan places there, but one that comes to mind is...

[/url]http://www.thebluebird.co.nz/[url]

...The Blue Bird Cafe in the CBD.

Also:

[/url]http://www.vegetarian.org.nz/content/home/auckland-centre/auckland-cafes-and-restaurants/[url]

Don't know if it's up-to-date, but depending on your itinerary... I'd be more than happy to find out for you...[/url]
TMH

Accommodation

Postby TMH » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:31 am

http://www.bookabach.co.nz/__North_Island.cfm

In terms of accommodation, depending on your budget, and wherever your travel bug turns you... you could source reasonable accommodation via the link above. It's an alternative way to stay - at least you'll be able to cook what you like instead of having to organise it through someone else.
TMH

Postby Solardrive » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:55 am

There are a few good places to eat Vegan in Wellington. Midnight Expresso is awesome, this is owned by the same people who operate Deluxe at the bottom of Courtenay Place.

http://www.wellingtonnz.com/bars_restau ... t_espresso

http://coffee.gen.nz/cafe/309-deluxe

Auntie Mena's on Cuba is a really good Veg place, although the decor is average and the food rather expensive, the portion sizes are good and really fill you up.

http://www.dineout.co.nz/restaurant.php?rest=2389

If you want to hook up and go for some decent food then PM me.
Solardrive

Postby stateofflux » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:12 am

Thanks TMH and Solardrive.

TMH - we will be in Auckland for a couple of days, it's a bit of a hectic itinerary. I've managed to find self-catering accom. for every place we are staying so I'm not worried about food, but it'll be nice to eat out in Wellington and Auckland. I can't believe how cheap hotels and motels are in NZ!

Solardrive, I think Mark Eden is arranging something for a Sunday 8 November meet-up. It'd be nice to meet anyone in VF who is in the area.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:33 am

[quote=".flux"]
I can't believe how cheap hotels and motels are in NZ!

The prices are pretty much a comment on the quality of hotels and motels here! :shock:
Mr. Cleetus

Postby HanNZ » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:59 am

Looking forward to meeting you, and other wellington people on here if they can make it.

Was chatting with Mark the other day about it, 8th as you say, in the afternoon is going to be a get together for a VF talk and dinner in the evening perhaps.
HanNZ

Postby stateofflux » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:44 pm

[quote="Mr. Cleetus"][quote=".flux"]
I can't believe how cheap hotels and motels are in NZ!

The prices are pretty much a comment on the quality of hotels and motels here! :shock:

They can't be worse than English hotels and motels can they? :shock:

HanNZ, Mark mentioned they will 'do a dinner for VF folk'. I look forward to meeting you all.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby HanNZ » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:13 am

For those in wellington Mark has organised the Mezzanine room in wellington central library for a talk/chat on vegan fitness with JP and .flux. Sunday 8th Nov 1pm. Drinks and nibbles provided.

Hope to see some of you there.
HanNZ

Postby JP » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:28 am

[quote="HanNZ"]For those in wellington Mark has organised the Mezzanine room in wellington central library for a talk/chat on vegan fitness with JP and .flux. Sunday 8th Nov 1pm. Drinks and nibbles provided.

Hope to see some of you there.

Awesome, cant wait :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:52 pm

Excellent, I'll be there.
Mr. Cleetus

VF wellington meet up

Postby MarkNZ » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:56 am

as for a meal before the public meeting, So far we have JP, Flux, Me +1, HanNZ +1, and Mr Cleetus. thats 7 which is the maximum we can fit into our living room on a saturday night. we coudl meet up at pranah on sunday morning instead though??
whaddya reckon?
MarkNZ

Next

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews