Backpacking / Hitching from UK to Cyprus... advice?

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Backpacking / Hitching from UK to Cyprus... advice?

Postby FatPunkChris » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:27 am

How do everyone,

Me and the missus are hitching from Gloucester, UK to Cyprus next March / April time I am selling all my stuff and just going with no time limit and very little cash.

We are taking a tent, all the kit etc and plan on skipping as much food on route as possible coupled with pinching bread rolls / veg from outdoor cafes which people have left.

Does anyone have any experience doing a hitching freegan euro trip and could offer advice?

Also we plan on travelling through France, Belgium into the Netherlands, down through Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy then round to Slovenia , Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Greece then finally Cyprus!

We are taking virtually no money whatsoever so if anyone can help us out for a night and day on our travels we would be most appreciative!

Does anyone know of Squats in these countries where we might be able to stay a day or two?

Thanks everyone,

Chris
Back after 3 years of competitive eating.
FatPunkChris

Postby chronyx » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:50 pm

Sounds like a hell of a trip mate 8) a mission, but what an experience.
chronyx

Postby chloe » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:18 pm

ive hitched through mainland europe several times (germany,france,spain,italy)(oh and belgian,holland,scotland,wales and england :D )and the hardest part was england!!!horrble,!europe was really a breeze, i also just travel with a tent and have set it up in every nook and cranny imaginable(including central brussels in a car park :shock: )spain was really difficult at times aswel cos i have a dog,and though shes also hitched with me through all the other countries, spain had a really different attitude to pet dogs(just in their cars maybe).Ive always found people really really lovely and helpful,ive been given all sorts of things, places to stay,money,food(wine)all just out of sheer generosity.Hitchhiking is a brilliant way to see both the good and bad in people, standing a whole day by some road can be disheartening, but then when someone picks you up and they are these interesting generous giving people its amazing.
This is a great trip youre taking and i think you will be totally fine,.do some couch surfing!just be open to meeting people and you will make good contacts,good luck have fun,also keep us posted!
chloe

Postby loveliberate » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:09 pm

Chris,
Traveling in Europe is a long time dream of mine and I hope that ya'll have a great adventure! Please be sure to share plenty of stories and photo's from your journey with us. :D

One of the best resources for travelers anywhere is the CouchSurfing project: http://www.couchsurfing.com - they even have veg & vegan sub-groups!
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby Johnboy74 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:57 pm

I was in Cyprus a few months ago. The beaches and country is gorgeous but eating out I found was a problem, self catering is doable though. It's hot this time of year! Good luck!
http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18613
****** Vegan Atheist ******
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews