hiking holiday?dog friendly!tips please!!

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

hiking holiday?dog friendly!tips please!!

Postby chloe » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:03 pm

does anyone have some good ideas for a five day holiday somewhere in england thats cheap and dog friendly?? a good non strenuous hike somewhere or the like?
Have german friend coming for a visit and we dont want to be trapped in London !
chloe

Postby emm7 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:35 pm

was going to suggest the Lake District or the New Forest but you may have problems finding somewhere that accepts pets.
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby Hiking Fox » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:23 pm

There's a bed and breakfast called Ranworth House on the east Yorkshire coast (in a village called Ravenscar, just down the coast from Robin Hood's Bay) that's dog-friendly.

It is completely vegetarian and mostly vegan and is a short walk down a cliff path to amazing beaches full of 130 million year old fossils, rock pools and seals. Scarborough and Whitby are both a bus ride away. I went there for my birthday last year and it was about £30 per night per person, including a big breakfast. Evening meal is available on request (and is extremely good).

There's also Fox Hall in Kendal in the lake District that I'm told is dog friendly, though I haven't been with a dog. It is totally vegan and the couple running it are lovely. If they don't take dogs, I'm sure they can recommend vegan-friendly places in the lakes that do.

Alternatively, most campsites are very dog-friendly and can be an extremely cheap way of getting right out into lovely countryside. People with tents and caravans tend to have dogs.

If you have plenty of money you could consider hiring a narrowboat. It is a very relaxing way to explore, you do your own cooking, and is popular with people with dogs, as you can moor up any time and stretch your legs.
Hiking Fox

Postby Hiking Fox » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:29 pm

By the way, 'enjoyengland.com' has a search facility that allows you to search on 'dogs welcome', 'vegetarian options' and 'spacial diets', so you might want to have a trawl.

I've also remembered a great B&B in Cockermouth in the Lake District run by a vegan woman that won the 'Best Breakfast' award from the Vegetarian Society (go hungry, it is about 5 courses!) called 'Lakeland Living'.

They have a little dog and 3 cats there. if your dog gets on with other animals you could ask if dogs are welcome.
Hiking Fox

Postby seitan » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:32 pm

we stayed in a place in north devon which is vegan and dog freindly. dogs can sleep on/in the beds!!
they have a little sanctuary there too, which the b+b supports.

http://www.ferntor.co.uk/

not too far from woolacombe and ilfracombe. woolacombe has an amazing sandy beach where you can walk dogs.
no human is innocent
seitan

Postby Gelert » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:25 pm

[quote="Hiking Fox"]If you have plenty of money you could consider hiring a narrowboat. It is a very relaxing way to explore, you do your own cooking, and is popular with people with dogs, as you can moor up any time and stretch your legs.

Out of curiosity, how much is "plenty of money" in this instance?
Gelert

Postby Hiking Fox » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:40 pm

It totally depends. My parents are pretty skint and go on narrowboat holidays in the Norfolk Broads most years, but I have heard of other operators charging £400 per week per person. I think they are the ones with meals included, though.
Hiking Fox

Postby chloe » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:54 pm

yay these are awesome suggestions, thanks guys! particularly like the sounds of this fossil beach think ill research that one!!!
chloe

Postby ska face » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:13 pm

[quote="seitan"]we stayed in a place in north devon which is vegan and dog freindly. dogs can sleep on/in the beds!!
they have a little sanctuary there too, which the b+b supports.

http://www.ferntor.co.uk/

not too far from woolacombe and ilfracombe. woolacombe has an amazing sandy beach where you can walk dogs.

I second this - very welcoming people and the food is fantastic. Blow the diet!
ska face

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews