Thailand

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Postby gauze » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:19 pm

JB74, are you still going out there? I'm looking to go next Spring for 30 days muay thai training. I've been doing quite a bit of reasearch about it recently, seems like a great place.
"I've been doing a lot of running, swimming, cycling, well, I mean, you know how it is..."

-"NO. Actually I don't know, I play real sports, I'm not trying to be the best at exercising."
gauze

Postby Johnboy74 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:54 pm

[quote="gauze"]JB74, are you still going out there? I'm looking to go next Spring for 30 days muay thai training. I've been doing quite a bit of reasearch about it recently, seems like a great place.

Yeh still, going, really looking forward to it :D
Reading two books at the minute on Thailand and got an audiobook to learn basic Thai while over there.
Looking to go in November now, but still researching it at the moment.
Yeh it does seem like a great place, mainly a buddhist country but they tend too put shrimp paste in everything it seems!
****** Vegan Atheist ******
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Postby barnz2k » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:33 am

for curries try sticking to places that are veg or specifically offer vegie options, which is loads of places, and most understand not to put fish/shrimp paste in them.

Else go for fried rice and ask for no egg or oyster sauce. JEH is the term for vegan.
barnz2k

Postby Johnboy74 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:35 pm

Thanks for the info barnz2k! You recommend any places of interest?
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Postby barnz2k » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:05 pm

just vegan related or where to go in general??

Im planning to do a bit of a write up soon on thailand but..

Where you flying into and out of, booth BKK?

BK - Eat at Ethos and May Kaidess
See - Two large Temples, take a canal boat and the ferry, MBK
and surrounding shopping ceters, the weekend markets

Chiang Mai, eat at - may kaidees again :), Taste of Heaven
At TOH book tickets to the Elephant Nature park. This is amazing.

Either visit PAI which I missed, or head south.

Krabi is on the mid south coast with access to Phi Phi, Maya Bay etc

Koh Pangan only if you want to see the full moon party

HERE are all my posts about thailand.

anything specific your lookin for?
barnz2k

Postby gauze » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:45 pm

I'm just gonna eat fruit from the stalls.
Looking at 2 weeks training in Phuket, then maybe a week of debauchery in Pattaya :wink:
"I've been doing a lot of running, swimming, cycling, well, I mean, you know how it is..."

-"NO. Actually I don't know, I play real sports, I'm not trying to be the best at exercising."
gauze

Postby Johnboy74 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:03 pm

Thanks for that fella! some good stuff on your blog!

I just want to see some fantastic things while over there, going for 2 weeks, which isn;t long but will try and cram in as much as I can.

Yeh Phi Phi, Maya Bay and Koh Pangan are on my possible list to do!
I'm flying into bangkok with my bro and spend 2/3 days there and then make my way south, no real plan really, just our back packs and snorkling gear and go with the flow. Just want to gather as much information as possible and they decide on the fly what to do.

I wanna do Padi course there if I can, did you do any scuba over there?
I'm a bit concerned that they have Tiger sharks over there and they are vicious buggers!

Cheers for the tips on places to eat! that was a big concern for me, if things get tough will have to live on fruit :shock:
Johnboy74

Postby Johnboy74 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:04 pm

[quote="gauze"]I'm just gonna eat fruit from the stalls.
Looking at 2 weeks training in Phuket, then maybe a week of debauchery in Pattaya :wink:

haha you dirty basterd! a bit of "me love you long time, me so horny" is it! :wink:
Johnboy74

Postby gauze » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:49 am

from what I've seen of that place, it would be impossible not to!

gauze

Postby Johnboy74 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:00 am

Thailand is like Vegas! What happens there stays there! be careful though! I've heard the boys really do look like girls :wink:
Johnboy74

Postby RiseAgainst » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:02 pm

I read about this Veg/Vegan festival awhile ago on a blog:

http://www.phuketvegetarian.com/index_eg.htm

It's actually in Phuket but only during a certain time every October. I am not sure how the weather is in October but I am trying to plan my Thailand travels around this week long event where apparently EVERYONE is selling Vegan/Vegetarian food because most EVERYONE is eating like this for the week. I will try to find the blog with first hand expierience but sounds like a great time to go!
RiseAgainst

Postby skoptic » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:54 pm

Yeah - +1,00,000 on the avoid fish sauce! I would heave if there was fish sauce in my food.

So like most vegans - I had to do a lot of asking questions over there to make sure stuff was vegan.. but it is really easy. I know there's great scuba off phuket - but this is an island with a pizzahut, KFC and a mcdonalds.. you can get to nicer more remote islands if you're going half way round the world!

Here's a link to a page which has some useful phrases..but not one for fish sauce sadly

http://www.enjoythaifood.com/learnthai/vegetarian.php
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Johnboy74 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:59 pm

Yeh I've heard of the Veggie festival, some brutal things they do to themselves over there! Planning to goto Phuket and use it as a spring board to some of the remote simillian and surin islands for some fantastic scuba hopefully 8)

Thanks for the links guys!
Johnboy74

Postby chriss » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:05 pm

Sorry for re starting an old thread I'm on Krabi now. Im having trouble finding Vegan food it seem's noodles are mainly egg, fish sauce is put into lots of 'Veg' options & I'm just struggling with it all.
On the plus side I have managed to get some good meals, it's just very hard work. As mentioned before it's such an alien consept to for the locals, but they are freindly & as helpful as possible.
I'll stop crying now.........
Just smile x
chriss

Postby Johnboy74 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:09 pm

[quote="chriss"]Sorry for re starting an old thread I'm on Krabi now. Im having trouble finding Vegan food it seem's noodles are mainly egg, fish sauce is put into lots of 'Veg' options & I'm just struggling with it all.
On the plus side I have managed to get some good meals, it's just very hard work. As mentioned before it's such an alien consept to for the locals, but they are freindly & as helpful as possible.
I'll stop crying now.........

Dude thanks for posting! I haven't been yet, planned to go in november then postponed it to end of feb now! Looks like if times get tough over there I will live on fruit and protein shakes!

If you know anywhere good to eat or stay I would love to know 8)
Johnboy74

PreviousNext

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews