Tenerife/Canary Islands/Spain

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Tenerife/Canary Islands/Spain

Postby stefandang » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:39 pm

Anyone got any advice on how I will survive with a group of carnivores in Tenerife? I'm going this Friday for 4 days for a friend's hen night. I'm gonna see if I'm allowed to take some nuts and trek bars in my suitcase (I know you have to be wary of taking food to other places so I need to read up on it), but apart from that I don't wanna be stuck eating the same thing/not much..... I'd rather starve than eat animal products..!

Are they quite amenable to vegans?

I've got the 'vegan passport' which has a spanish section so that will help :)

Or shall I just get my calories from alcohol lol

Thanks

Stef
stefandang

Postby buzz » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:43 pm

Hey Stef,

Good few places listed on Happycow - http://www.happycow.net/europe/spain/ca ... index.html

By the sounds of it, not too bad. I was close to going there earlier in the year, and would be interested to hear how you get on. Been before good few years ago, but not when I was vegan. Have fun :)
buzz

Postby stefandang » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:57 pm

Well I'm now back from Tenerife and managed to survive with the group of carnivores. We were at a hotel that was half board and every morning and evening we'd have a lot of choice via a buffet. I mainly stuck to the same things, i.e. breakfast was wholemeal bread with baked beans & tomatoes, plus fruit. In the evening I'd have loads of salad, more wholemeal bread, plain pasta, some chips & olive oil; fruit for dessert. In the day I had nuts, trek bars and fruit. So it was quite limited as to what I could eat but at least I didn't starve. I'm glad I had the nuts and trek bars as my evening meals had no protein and was too carb heavy for my liking.

I forgot my vegan passport (doh) and I didn't even attempt to ask the staff about ingredients as they could barely understand simple english in any case.

I ate more chips than I wanted - I normally avoid them like the plague. We didn't go out to any restaurants as we spent the evenings going out drinking and we were only there for 4 days, so I'm quite relieved by that :)

I came back feeling bloated and unhealthy (I went out feeling like I could run a marathon). Now I'm back at the gym and eating well so that should lose the 2 pounds I gained whilst I was there!

stef
stefandang

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews