Hi from American Samoa

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Hi from American Samoa

Postby tal » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:10 am

Hey all,
Writing this from sunny American Samoa, where I have been for the last two weeks, and will remain here for the next six.

Not a bad place for a vegan actually in terms of shopping, much less of a challenge than I had thought. And the main reason for that is that this place is so American! Can get boca burgers, amy's vegan burritos and staple grains, beans, bread, etc!

Having said that, on most other grounds it's not that good a place. Hard to find anything at a restruant, even harder to actually find a restruant though, but there are a couple of places that are ok, like mexican and chinese places.

One very sad thing about American Samoa is their wild dog population. There are so many of them! They roam the streets, scavenging food, fornicating at will, they walk right into shop doors if you let them. It's sad because in American Samoa there are NO pounds, NO vets and nothing that really looks out for the dogs, so they do whatever they like. One of my friends found a box full of puppies in a dumpster, there was about six of the them, and she took em to the police station because there was nowhere else they could be taken. We don't know what happened to them but we haven't heard from them again.. so I'm hoping it was something humane... it really is very sad. If you're a vet, go work in American Samoa! Something could/should be done about it!

Wow that turned into a rant. How unlike me, lol.

If anyone else has any other experiences of travelling the South Pacific, let me know, cos I'm definetley going to travel around this region again!

Scott
tal

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:31 am

interesting. are you there for something work related?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby tal » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:26 am

yeah, i work for ANZ
we are implementing a new computer system here
tal

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews