europe for the first time.

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

europe for the first time.

Postby No other way » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:17 pm

so two friends and i are planning on a month long trip to europe but were wondering if it would be a good idea since we want to got in december/january. we don't care for the touristy stuff so much just want to get a feel for europe. any tips you guys could give me would be great. we are planning on going to the UK, france, spain, italy, and hopefully sweden.
No other way

Postby Hiking Fox » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:06 pm

I'm not a big traveller myself, so hopefully others will pop up in this thread and give you better advice, but I do know that Sweden can be a bitterly cold place in January, and France is terrible for vegan food (except for Paris).

However, a couple of friends of mine joined the Hospitality Club (ie. sofa-surfing website) and set off on a 6 month trip round Europe from October to March, and they didn't have much problem with the cold, even though they spent time in Poland! They set off intending to spend most of their time there, but ended up seeing a lot of Turkey and Greece, and really enjoyed it.

I'd say you could probably have loads of fun if you are flexible about where to go, don't expect English to be spoken outside of cities, are happy to hitch lifts, and have good waterproof clothing.
Hiking Fox

Postby bronco » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:54 pm

I might be able to give some tips for sweden if you let me know what kind of stuff you are intrested in?
bronco
Site Admin

Postby hardcore iv » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:36 pm

Do it! Just get some good warm and waterproof clothes as hiking fox suggested and the cold won´t be an issue. Definitely go to Sweden also, but a month isn´t that long.
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby No other way » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:22 am

yeah thanks for the tips. once we get closer i'll ask you some specific thing bronco. i wish we had more time but we don't because of school restraints. we're not worried about the language barrier too much. one of my friends speaks italian and i'm going to be studying other languages throughout the year so hopefully i will know enough to get us where we are going.
No other way

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews