Singapore?

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Singapore?

Postby puppydog » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:52 pm

Anybody familiar with this place at all? If so let me know I have a few questions, maybe to take to PM or whatever.
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby Eda » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:18 pm

Singapore is great for vegans! I live there since 2 years. What do you want to know? Don't PM, ask in the forum so that others can benefit.
Eda

Postby puppydog » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:51 pm

well there's a possibility i could move there for my job. Was sort of wondering what the lifestyle, cost of living, culture etc etc was. I figure any major city will be better for vegans than where i live so no worries there!
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby Eda » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:23 pm

[quote="omar tan"]well there's a possibility i could move there for my job. Was sort of wondering what the lifestyle, cost of living, culture etc etc was. I figure any major city will be better for vegans than where i live so no worries there!

Here's my cynic short description of Singapore:
Lifestyle: Urbanized, hectic, Goal of life = Get a good job, then find a wife/husband so that you can afford moving away from your parents home. National sport is shopping. It's more important who wins Singapore Idol than caring about the environment, the little that is left.
Cost of living: Rent is high. Food is ridiculously cheap. Tax hardly exists.
Culture: Three major ethnic groups. Chinese dominate, then Malay last Indians. All groups have areas where their culture is dominating. There's also an Arab neighborhood. Lots of temples/churches/mosques, but very little religious hostility.
Nature: Not much left, but even the little that remains can be fantastic. Don't miss Sungei Buloh Wetlands in the North West, a big mangrove swamp only 30 min from downtown Singapore, where you are guaranteed to see >100 cm monitor lizards, giant spiders and other insects and hundreds of birds. There are also lots of snakes and crocodiles, but attacks are very rare. There are also a jungle national park, Bukit Timah and a botanic garden where lots of birds can be seen. If you want more and wilder nature, go to nearby Malaysia. Great scuba diving is available only a few hours away by car from Singapore.

It may sounds as if it's not a good place to be, but surprisingly enough (from my description) it is. People are friendly and honest. In Singapore things work. Everything you are used to from the west is available here. Everyone speaks English. The country is clean and safe and culture is very inspired by the West. It's not for nothing Singapore sometimes is referred to as Asia Light. If you, as a westerner, are interested in moving to Asia, Singapore is a good place to start. If you can't stand it here, don't bother going anywhere else.

For more vegan related questions I suggest the forum for the Vegetarian Society of Singapore.
http://www.vegetarian-society.org/my_forums/index.php
Eda

Postby XkillerX » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:09 pm

omar can i have your job and flat in bermuda once you move to singapore?
Activists are the engineers of the soul. That's why governments lock them up.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby puppydog » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:37 pm

Sure Killer, although I'm pretty sure working a corporate bank job would put you over the edge and onto the 6 o'clock news!!!
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby XkillerX » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:48 pm

i'd promptly promote/demote myself to b.o.f.h. position (sysadminspotting) and sabotage the whole place from within! :twisted:
Activists are the engineers of the soul. That's why governments lock them up.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby ^toby^ » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:20 am

can i get your job and get a flat at the triangle?
'Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect Practice makes perfect' - Vince Lombardi
^toby^

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews