Vegan food in the Greek Islands?

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Vegan food in the Greek Islands?

Postby Johnstuff » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:29 pm

In May I'm going on a two week holiday to the Island Kalymnos in Greece.

I was just wondering if anyone here has any tips/advice about getting vegan food over there?

I have read that the mojority of the Greek population are 'Greek orthodox' and so are pretty much vegan during the 40 days of lent, and some also don't eat meat or dairy on Wednesdays or Fridays.

If that is true then I don't suppose I'll have too much trouble, however I have also heard that they are very into meat over there and may think I'm very odd.

Is there a Greek word for vegan?

Cheers,

John.
Johnstuff

Postby alit » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:41 pm

Hi Ive not been to Greece for a while now and was vegetarian back then but there are lots of options i recall, am sure others will give better info but id say to buy the vegan society vegan passport book as it has greek translations there.

The salads are great and the large butter bean dish (cant think of the name!) lots of dishes are cooked in olive oil, there are stuffed vine leaves, and i had a lot of bean/rice dishes there, i know in the supermarkets you can buy glass jars of beans/pulses ready to eat and tins of those nice butter beans in sauce. I also had pasta dishes and pizza without cheese as even when veggie i didnt have much dairy/egg.

I took soya milk with me, not seen it in the supermarkets?

I also had falafel and hummous in the Greek Cypriot restaurants.

The quality of the fruit and vegetables there is so good, a lot of meat is eaten but vegetarian food is on most menus and it is possible to get tasty fresh vegan food out.

Honey seems to be used a lot - be careful of sweet pastry dishes even if no butter/dairy in it could well have honey in?

Hope that helps :D
alit

Postby barnz2k » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:52 am

same as above, I was vegetarian when I was there, but found it pretty easy. The butter bean dish (whater its called!) is tasty, and often simple tomato based sauces.

Had a stuffed tomatoes thing but I cant remember if it had cheese in it. Tomatoes with rice and vegies, awesome. Hummus all the way!

went to an awesome bakery in athens. bought some MEGA BREAD! haha. was huge, heavy bread. i think they told me what was in each when I asked.
barnz2k

Postby mangomagic » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:00 am

This is not exactly what you asked for but there are vegetarian/vegan tours, see here:
http://www.paleologos.gr/exploring-gree ... -vegan.htm

I read somewhere that there is a veg*n Bed and Breakfast in either Greece or the Greek island too. I can't find the reference though now.
mangomagic

Postby Johnstuff » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:10 pm

Thanks for the replies!

Looks like I won't have too much trouble then. I'll probably pack some small/light/hard to get stuff like fruit bars for the journey.

I might take some vitamin supplements just incase (I never usually take any) I can't get a 'complete' diet.

Thanks again,

John.
Johnstuff

Postby AbFab » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:44 pm

When I went, I prepared a small card of things that I'd ask in English, but translated so there could be no misunderstanding, and I'd show it to the waiter.

Try http://www.stars21.com/translator/english_to_greek.html

While I'm here, "Panta Hellenici estin emoy!" is Greek for "It's all Greek to me!". :D

Happy holidays.
AbFab

Postby fredrikw » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:11 pm

I wouldn't trust that one too much, the english sentence "my name is Fredrik" was translated to Swedish "mitt känt är Fredrik", something which doesn't make any sense at all. "känt" means "have known" or "have felt"... I wonder what they really served you when you were in Greece if this was your source :shock: :D
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby AbFab » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:38 pm

Oh nooooooooooo! I don't think I used that one, actually, but it's what popped up just now when I Googled it. Ok, point taken! Ideally find someone Greek who speaks great English who can check for you! From my experience there, they all spoke good English, and I think I was understood, and my printed list was just a back up!
AbFab

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews